Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Switcheroom 2 - Alpha 2

Memfis said:

Lol sorry this was a bit fast but I already lost interest so pls remove me from the slot... here is what I made if you're curious http://speedy.sh/6ZyBn/swroom2-map23-ver1.zip

SciFista, if it is possible, would I be able to get Memfis's MAP04 layout instead of MAP10? I'd still like to keep the city slot, but I'd enjoy MAP04 and I'm also far more familiar with the layout than MAP10.

If this can't be arranged and just screws everything up, then just keep me where I am. :)

@Torniquet: Really nice Tenements conversion there. Very true to the original layout and the mapping is killer. Only thing I'd recommend is to change the size of the "M" staircase right after blue door. Currently, it's almost impossible to see your footing when walking down the stair case.

BlueFeena: It's OK, you get MAP04 layout.

joe-ilya: Would be nice if you could name your map differently, as my MAP02-in-MAP12 is already called Underfactory. Or possibly I might change my map's name (feel free to suggest alternative names).

EDIT:

Memfis: Not glad to hear this, but as you wish. The short piece of map you've posted looks like a good start for some of your typical-style maps.

C30N9: I find this new version much better by Switcheroom's standards, even though I admit that the immersion factor somewhat decreased, probably because of the increased brightness. Thanks for doing the changes. I think the map misses solid structures, made by a (hellish) "civilization". Currently it's all wild rocks with many different angles. Purely aesthetical advice and just my personal opinion, but I'd like to see some marble blocks of buildings in the area, to not it being just brown rocks. I assume you'll be adding this kind of detail further.

Alright! I finaly finished MAP25 as MAP14, there's everything and a MIDI replacement with a name change I came up since the map almost to none contains any blood in it, so it should be named "Falling Dens"

EDIT: https://www.mediafire.com/?4nknavvyebgcwg8
EDIT 2 : Also about the "Underzone" and "Underfactory"
Your underfactory should be "Waste/Water (however you like it) Factory"

joe-ilya: Your map is in acceptable quality. A few places/shapes/texture choices look a bit weird, but considering the nature of Doom 2 City levels, it's good. You put way too much ammo in the level, I recommend to reduce it to an half, maybe even one third or one fourth. It's good when the player gets packed with stuff early on, but later, he just keeps walking over multiple cell packs and shell boxes, unable to grab them.

Spoiler

Put at least a symbolic armor bonus into the empty secret. ;) It's a good reference, but today's players may not comprehend it.

Cell said:

Ehh...
I'm getting a bit confused around this map. I assume Switcheroom 2 doesn't support the term "using homages if they actually fit up for the layout pattern map", like it was popular in the first set, but was later argued against enough to make the project candidates redo - for example - the E1M1 (E3M1 layout) map.

Well, if no one answers this, I gotta continue in the original vein I've kicked it off.
About 75-80% of the layout is done.

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but I'd kinda advise against "homage rooms" as they really ruin the original layout. I didn't like Switch 1 very much, as all the homage rooms made most of the layouts utterly unrecognizable.

@SciFista: Thanks!

This is take 2 of the map since the previous one was too big and overflowed with HOMs. Going slowly with this one, don't wanna have any problems with vanilla limits, again. I hope if the city theme mixed with rocks(canyon?) is okay since that's how the map is gonna look like in the end.

If it's not a big deal to take the last slot (MAP10 to MAP23) since I'm probably gonna finish map16 by the end of the week. Hell Monastery would be the name.

BlueFeena said:

I didn't like Switch 1 very much, as all the homage rooms made most of the layouts utterly unrecognizable.

@SciFista: Thanks!

Well, it's not the case of my map.
100% layout, dealing with item and monster placement tomorrow.

thanks for the feedback scifista i agree in most of the points you mentioned and gonna work out some changes.
The forced linearity was quite intended by me though i wasnt sure if it would be the best solution, so now i know that i have to change that.

erm dunno why i actually forgot to unpegg the doortracks -_-

ATTENTION!

All slots have been claimed. It went surprisingly fast, and thank you all for joining in. Now only to make it all to the end!

With Megalyth we agreed on that a fast deadline would be appropriate here. IWAD maps aren't very elaborated, so nobody should need more than a couple weeks to come up with his map. For this reason and also for a motivation factor:

The deadline for all maps to be completed is set on March 15th.

This means you should submit your map in a finished and tested state till this date at max. As all slots are filled, claiming them is closed unless someone gives up on his slot, but don't make it happen pls!

Now start working on your maps, and have a nice time. :p

Best I can come up with so far for my map13 in map25 map

Oh the map is now titled Camp Blood, just hope the map isn't as shit as the film......

cannonball said:

Best I can come up with so far for my map13 in map25 map
http://imageshack.com/a/img600/7074/wqh8.png

Oh the map is now titled Camp Blood, just hope the map isn't as shit as the film......

Tip: Use more red and fire. ;) It's supposed to be Hell.

Fellowzdoomer: Don't tell me it's too fast for you, don't tell me!

scifista42 said:

Tip: Use more red and fire. ;) It's supposed to be Hell.

Fellowzdoomer: Don't tell me it's too fast for you, don't tell me!

Haha, well I have to give a slight Bloodfalls feel hence the rock textures for example in this map are mainly stone6, The buildings are mostly marble and wood with a little metal here and there, hopefully a good blend of the two visual styles.

Fellowzdoomer said:

So...
Would people want my map to be a huge base or have a Mars outside area?

i would try to combine both..maybe the southern part of the map as a base and starting off the central square upwards some kind off mountain range with caves and cliffs.....

tourniquet said:

i would try to combine both..maybe the southern part of the map as a base and starting off the central square upwards some kind off mountain range with caves and cliffs.....

You just gave me an idea indescribable.

scifista42 said:

ATTENTION!

All slots have been claimed. It went surprisingly fast, and thank you all for joining in. Now only to make it all to the end!

With Megalyth we agreed on that a fast deadline would be appropriate here. IWAD maps aren't very elaborated, so nobody should need more than a couple weeks to come up with his map. For this reason and also for a motivation factor:

The deadline for all maps to be completed is set on March 15th.

This means you should submit your map in a finished and tested state till this date at max. As all slots are filled, claiming them is closed unless someone gives up on his slot, but don't make it happen pls!

Now start working on your maps, and have a nice time. :p

30 days to get a finished, polished product of this caliber? It won't happen.
I've tried.

I'll keep you posted though.

I'm making a humongous risk here.

That startan2...

I'll fix up that bridge a bit, too.

If its OK scifista, could I put a small part of map05 in here?

Edit

Enemy count so far.

TYTD: 2 shotgunners
HMP: 7 shotgunners
UV: 4 chaingunners

Fellowzdoomer said:

So...
Would people want my map to be a huge base or have a Mars outside area?

Doom 2 takes place on Earth so I would avoid a Mars outside area :P

TheMionicDonut said:

30 days to get a finished, polished product of this caliber? It won't happen.

Scifista and I may have had a communications mix-up there. A month is plenty of time to get a map to a "finished" state (re: architecturally complete, maxable, no horrendous errors), and then more time can be taken to focus on tweaking and testing. Basically, we're aiming to get the maps "done" by March 15th, and the details can be taken care of after that.

Here's beta number one of MAP06->MAP21. The end fight is a bit brutal and I haven't completely balanced that fight yet, so if you get killed try not to worry about it. Contains all difficulties, though skill 3 still needs some balancing. IIRC, the map comes in about 4 kb short of the save game limit, (the map saves just fine initially, but don't put money on it if there's a huge amount of fire balls going around) so the item count might need some chopping down.

Tested in DOOM2.EXE 1.7, in-game music is Pyrarinth by James Paddock. Word of warning: if you like OPL2/adlib emulation like myself, the music will sound like utter crap in Chocolate Doom (use vanilla Doom2.) No idea why.

Lastly, any FDA's would really be appreciated, if you have the time.

I think the whole map is pretty brutal. Part of that is not getting the SSG until the yellow key area. Also, far too many damaging sectors for my tastes, even at the start. I dunno. Gameplay-wise is more up to the map author, but I found it pretty frustrating to play through because of that. Also, lots of bullshit like hitscanners hidden behind opaque walls or revenants in areas where you can't really dodge their shots. Eh.

Lookwise, the main things that jumped out at me are using liquids on levels above solids (always looks weird to me) and that nearly every door had dirt under it for some reason, which looks like an error.

Here's my FDA: http://youtu.be/uwawvDp9WEM (not finished processing at the time of this post, but should be sometime soon)

scifista42 said:

joe-ilya: Your map is in acceptable quality. A few places/shapes/texture choices look a bit weird, but considering the nature of Doom 2 City levels, it's good. You put way too much ammo in the level, I recommend to reduce it to an half, maybe even one third or one fourth. It's good when the player gets packed with stuff early on, but later, he just keeps walking over multiple cell packs and shell boxes, unable to grab them.

Spoiler

Put at least a symbolic armor bonus into the empty secret. ;) It's a good reference, but today's players may not comprehend it.

It mostly happends when you grab secrets or take the blueskulldoor arena patch first, reduce it anyways?

BlueFeena said:

Here's beta number one of MAP06->MAP21.

Really tough, i love slaughtermaps and this one is well done too in most of the points, but as Magnusblitz allready mentioned the damaging floors at the beginning are very frustrating.
I died several times while being blocked by the spectres.
And another thing that bugged me was the inescapable lava pit in the final room.

Overall this looks really nice with a good amount of hellish detail.