scifista42

Switcheroom 2 - Alpha 2

4 hours ago, Killer5 said:

Here is my general take on the wad: I enjoyed it.. but I think changes to the maps can make it muuuuuuuuch better. At the moment most maps feel like a simple reskin of a Doom 2 map. Dime appeared in the chat and said something I really agreed with: 'change up the progression in the maps'. I think this would be a great way to throw off players who are already familiar with the original maps. Like.. the people will get all of the nostalgic references along with experiencing maps which feel brand new.

I agree that a lot feel like just a simple reskin... "change the progression" certainly would've been an interesting way to change things up. Probably too late in the game to impose that rule without redoing everything, though it might be one to try if some maps do end up being redone before release. Thanks for the stream.

I guess the large amount of time that has gone past means that I could take a look at my entries in a fresh perspective which could be a good thing. Two maps I am not overly happy with (Maps24/25) which feel too close to the origionals. Maps16/18 I would say I am happy with barring any gameplay issues people come up with. I will have a look at these at some point in the future though progress is going to be pretty slow as I am currently moving house and lets say infrastructure has been difficult to get in place.

It's actually the only way to beat the map in vanilla, due to a bug with one of the metal platforms that prevents you from going over these platforms as intended.

I've had more than enough patience with you scifista. Time & time again you say that you are just about ready to start working toward finishing this project. Each time you say that, I give you months to prove yourself & every time you do nothing. I've had enough, I want see evidence by May 1st that you are going to actually finish this project. If you do not I will take leadership from you & start implementing some quality control on these maps & get this project polished & done once & for all.

Posted (edited)

You have no right to commandeer this project as long as scifista42 is active.  Just because it has been so long since an update doesn't mean he's given up yet.  A lot of other community projects have suffered a long drought before.  Until scifista42 has anything to say about where the project is going and what to do, he is still the leader.

@scifista42 I'm sorry that Jaws is acting like an asshole; he's just antsy about a sequel to a project he led only because Death Egg allowed him to.

Edited by Impboy4 : pay respect to scifista
Arctangent likes this

Jaws, don't you already have two other projects to manage? Shouldn't your focus be on those before grabbing another? I get that you're frustrated by lack of progress on this and scifista's silence on the matter, and can at least relate to the former. Threatening to forcefully take over the project because of that is in no way the right move here.

That being said, what is the status on this? Admittedly I don't have much interest in this nowadays, but it would be nice for people to know how things are going, especially those with maps awaiting a release.

This project is an utterly mixed bag as it is. Some maps are IWAD-esque, some are mass-slaughterish, some are abstract, some are realistically detailed, some are generic, some are ambitiously unconventional... It's not a problem with either map on its own, but how they fit together in a continuously playable wad, so I don't think it could be fixed just by tweaking some of the existing maps anyway. I think some maps would have to be completely tossed out and/or the mixed bag aspect would have to be accepted as the wad's nature.

If any maps are to be rejected, which ones? It's somewhat arbitrary, as the styles of current maps in the project are so diverse. It doesn't help that very few people ever gave any feedback about which of the current maps could stay in as they are, unchanged, with consideration for how all maps in the project fit together. Also, getting new maps to replace the rejected maps could be difficult now, considering it was already difficult in late stages of the project's most active period. The concept of remaking maps in different styles seems to have stopped to attract interest.

To get the project done, first we need to:

1. Discuss and decide how the maps fit together, which ones need to be rejected and which ones can stay in unchanged.

2. Find out who is still willing to modify his own maps in the project or potentially make fresh new maps.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

It doesn't help that very few people ever gave any feedback about which of the current maps could stay in as they are, unchanged, with consideration for how all maps in the project fit together.

This was the same case for Switcheroom & it happens with many community projects. When there is a lack of feedback it is ultimately up to the project leader to make the tough decisions. If you want to see what happens to a project when the decision making is left in the hands of the mappers just look at how well Freedoom is doing.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

To get the project done, first we need to:

1. Discuss and decide how the maps fit together, which ones need to be rejected and which ones can stay in unchanged.

2. Find out who is still willing to modify his own maps in the project or potentially make fresh new maps.

You keep repeating this over and over every time you show up in this thread. Don't leave it up to the mappers to make the decisions for you, start the discussion yourself. Ask people directly if they are willing to modify their maps.

Last time you showed up to this thread you said something along the lines that you are on Doomworld every single day, if so how have you not managed in the past 2 years since this project has been in an Alpha state have you not managed to make a single decision or ask a single person if they want to continue work on their map?

bonnie likes this