Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackgaze

[WIP] Tombs of Doom (Working Title)

Greetings Doomworld Forums
One thing I've always loved about DOOM is the atmosphere and architecture of level design, but there was another game that also was very strong in this field, Tomb Raider.
So I had a little look, and I managed to find the textures ripped and available to use... so let's do.
I present "Tombs of Doom" (Working Title) as a collection of 15 maps & a texture pack made for single player and co-op gameplay. Obviously "Doom Raider" would've been the perfect title if not already taken.

Each map is a recreation of the levels of Tomb Raider, obviously due to limitations I cannot re-create each TR level exactly, also they're not playable for Doomguy to even travel around in, plus I don't like the idea of ripping a level creator's structure.
However to note on that, there will be more famous moments from the game translated for DOOM, and each map will have some similar patterns as both a tribute and recreation.

This is only a side project, not full-time so don't expect it to be out for a long time (if ever), since I have quite a few other commitments, but I have everything needed for this project and it will just require time to create the maps, and a few extra features (little bits)

The project has just started, and I wasn't going to announce this until the first level was playable. However I'm quite excited to this and I like to share my work as I go along making the wad.
Here's a few in progress screenshots to have a general idea what I'm trying to do:

First test of textures (yes I know the top is out of alignment).

Recreation of the first area of "Caves". Remember due to DOOM limits, it's not going to be exactly the same, it's not my intention.

My thanks to the TRsearch community and Skribblerz for the ripped textures, sounds, music, all of the resources to help this project get started.

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think

An interesting idea, would be interesting to see what the original Tomb Raider would be like in Doom!

You going to implement any of the Tomb Raider traps into this wad?

Suitepee said:

An interesting idea, would be interesting to see what the original Tomb Raider would be like in Doom!

You going to implement any of the Tomb Raider traps into this wad?

I thought someone might ask me that.
There's one thing i'm slightly missing, the full packs of TR1 sounds, and what's missing in it is traps. I have some ideas in DECORATE to create a few, but at this point in time they're merely optional.

SgtMagor said:

maybe I missed something, but will this wad be a Boom, Vanilla, compatible pwad.

Probably Boom. I'm never too certain since I don't know a great deal of Doom's History. All I know is that made to reach Zandronum's limits, which is already quite outdated (since I want this collection of maps to be available via multiplayer than just single player)

The second screenshot obviously shows slopes all around, this couldn't possibly be anything below ZDoom compatible.
I like the textures but so far it seems a bit bland, but I loved Tomb Radier and would like to see what else you have to offer.

Ven said:

The second screenshot obviously shows slopes all around, this couldn't possibly be anything below ZDoom compatible.
I like the textures but so far it seems a bit bland, but I loved Tomb Radier and would like to see what else you have to offer.

Yeah I guess it was a bit early, I will update once the level is a bit more complete, I'm still a bit inexperienced with slopes but I'm getting there. I was going to get a test out after the 4th map "Tomb of Qualopec", but to make sure my map making skills are on the right path, I will release the first map as a playable test when done.

A Bit more detailed look at the wad. Decided to choose another area to play around with, guess what map intro this is going to be?

I'm not going to rush this project, so I won't post work too quickly, but I thought you enjoy this.