Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

You people write at a fifth grade level

Test-0 said:

Ahem... In actualality, I learned how to use smilies a long time ago, and now use them whenever I can. It's a way of showing emotion without writing a book on how to describe it. It's also a way for people to see the seriousness of the post, as well as any other inflictions that can't be picked up because of the internets lack of emotional medium. That, and I like them. ^_^

Yeah, I'm too sarcastic by nature, so I have to use them in just about every single one of my posts to show that I'm not being serious.

stphrz said:

Well no wonder fod. You left parts of the article out. That's why I had trouble following it :P

Well yeh, I wasn't gonna quote the whole damn thing :)

orion said:

yeah, but it just seems like you randomly put them between the sentences as if they're there for no reason.

Well I don't know about you, but I naturally smile in between sentences etc, not just at the end, in RL

Archvile64 said:

Yeah, I'm too sarcastic by nature, so I have to use them in just about every single one of my posts to show that I'm not being serious.

is that so? I hardly recall you using them.

orion said:

is that so? I hardly recall you using them.

Are you kidding? I use either =) or :P in just about every post I make.

It's totally true that education is being used as a means of converting people to 'their' way of thinking. These last 2 years would have been a lot easier if, at the start of the G.C.S.E. course, we were told that all we have to do is write a certain kind of bullshit. Once I realised this simple fact I was set for an A grade In I.T., which is a subject focusing on the thorough kind of bullshit. Where you take an incredibly complex concept and over simplify it, such as the Internet, or something small, like a printer, and blow its importance out of all proportion. P.S.E. is nearly as bad, but not quite because I never bother showing for those lessons. They tell the students all this shit about how to be a good citizen (subject) and how to be morally correct. FFS, R.E. ain't even that bad, at least they allow some exchange of ideas.

On an unrelated topic, last night was really cool, but also slightly disturbing. Cool, because it was a battle of the bands with decent bands, there were free drugs, plenty of honies, and I knew like a shitload of the people there so it was nice an' relaxed for me. On the downside I lost a packet of fags and some fucking munter decided to cling onto me. I kept on bumping into this absolutely fucking mingon bi'atch an she kept on trying to come onto me in an incredibly clumsy manner. Finally she fucked off and made out with one of my mates, so I thought I was safe, but no, the fucking daemon-whore then steals my coat. It's a real nice coat. Now it has Tim germs in it. He may be my mate, but y'nah, the bitch had her hands down his trousers. *shudder* But asides from this cringeworthy part of the evening, it turned out pretty good.

stphrz said:

Oh, I have to say this is completely retarded.

LOL. It's a case of a user MISUSING and ABUSING a tool for which it was NEVER INTENDED.

As someone pointed out, this is not an essay writing class, just a casual "conversation" where the most important consideration is brevity and clarity - NOT obfuscation.

No more clear english for you baby!Oh yeah.

Just remember, if it's more than 3 paragraphs nobody will read it (gotta go now - hahaha).

nah, people will read it if it's important enough, or good enough. Most of the stories in fan fic are pretty damn long yet they get read.

That brought me to another thing, people that post a lot in fan fic probably have a higher avg because they write stories that are basicly written like essays. =P

orion said:
nah, people will read it if it's important enough,

Experience tells me otherwise. If there's a long thread, just about NOBODY will read the stuff in front, but instead leap to the end and post - totally oblivious and uncaring about what was posted before. Not exactly the same thing, but exactly the same principle - they can't be bothered with the "length".

You see it's an interesting contradiction you pose. In order to determine if it's "important enough" they have to read it, but I'm arguing they won't read it because it's too damn long. I'm not saying some people won't read it, just that most people won't - especially if it's long. For example, I rarely read posts that QUOTE someone elses long drawn out b.s. Just give me the link thank you.

Most of the stories in fan fic are pretty damn long yet they get read.

Completely different area and topic. In that area the "grading" can be applied. Obviously people who visit that area have an interest in fan fic and read it. I've been there maybe 2x. I just have no interest to read such long stuff:) And again I'm at the limit.

Boy, I thought it was an interesting and harmless diversion, but apparently all of you are taking this as some personal affront to your intelligence.

Linguica said:

Boy, I thought it was an interesting and harmless diversion, but apparently all of you are taking this as some personal affront to your intelligence.

Since "all of you" are taking it this way, then you conveyed that kind of message in your original piece.

So the most defining quality of posting (and writing) is obviously completely missed by this kind of abstract tool/analysis - that's COMMUNICATING one's intent and purpose clearly.

PS. I took it as a case of misapplication of data, others may have other ideas too:)

Me made fire!

lol

On an unrelated topic:

Vampyros Lesbos says:
did u no that the KKK site has the blackadder theme playing in the background?
aschvinctersayswhat? says:
i had no knowledge of tha
aschvinctersayswhat? says:
has it got games on it

let's take a looksie...

deep said:

Since "all of you" are taking it this way, then you conveyed that kind of message in your original piece.

So the most defining quality of posting (and writing) is obviously completely missed by this kind of abstract tool/analysis - that's COMMUNICATING one's intent and purpose clearly.

PS. I took it as a case of misapplication of data, others may have other ideas too:)

Um, its not supposed to be an accurate or scientific study of the posts on doomworld, its only supposed to be a joke. I dont think anybody takes the numbers on the list as representing anything serious.

Linguica said:

I'm not surprised - English isn't my L1 after all.

If my above remark has been interpreted in any serious way, I'm gonna shoot myself.
;-)
I mean come on, how am I supposed to take this thread serious when I know that I'm generally not writing school assignments on this board (ok, maybe my fanfics are more like school assignments)?

Mithrandir said:

Vampyros Lesbos says:
did u no that the KKK site has the blackadder theme playing in the background?

Oh sweet irony.

fraggle` said:

Um, its not supposed to be an accurate or scientific study of the posts on doomworld, its only supposed to be a joke. I dont think anybody takes the numbers on the list as representing anything serious.

LOL - I was quoting Ling. He took the comments "seriously". So you really should have posted this to Ling eh? He's the one that stated "all of you are taking this as some personal affront to your intelligence", not I.

Quote marks have various context meanings, but in this case (and before) it's just what the other person said:) Btw, it's not just that Ling thought it -was- being taken seriously, clearly a lot of others did too at the time.

All I pointed out is that communicating (joke or otherwise) wasn't done well. Which is somewhat ironic in context (and that is the point of my prior post - a somewhat unintentional byproduct - do a scale on the post and you'll see what I mean).

Linguica said:

YOU CALLIN ME STUPID LING?????///

deep said:

Experience tells me otherwise. If there's a long thread, just about NOBODY will read the stuff in front, but instead leap to the end and post - totally oblivious and uncaring about what was posted before.

A lot of people do that regardless of the thread's length.

Aren't we being a bit super critical of the fan-fiction, now? it's not as if it's a bloody Clive Barker novel. I know for a fact that 'The Underworld' isn't exactly a masterpiece, but we're enjoying what we do - and getting better as we go along.
Having said that... what was my grade average?

According to the forums, no matter what grade level you write at, it's still possible to write a very, very horrible story. Mine for example...

hmm. 3.4. I'm kind of insulted. what kind of BS equation is this?

esco = 2.8

ROFL

Fatman = -3.1

ROFLOL