Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

dem type 11 damaging floors tho

Any notable uses of them in doom 2 pwads? Am guessing they're reasonably common in doom pwads. As a refresher, a type 11 ends the level after you drop below 11% health.

There are quite a few wads that use them accidentally and then speedrunners find and exploit them. 9thfloor, sungod, etc...

My own Scourge (not notable) had one in MAP03 and an even less well-known map set I once had that had a The Great Escape map around MAP11 used it in "The House of Allen"... Which was about MAP05, I think.

Can't think of any actual noteworthy examples, off hand!

Realm of Chaos had two in a row. Off the top of my head, I think it was MAP20 and MAP21. One of which was a single-texture Rob Berkowitz prison map. I think.

I'm guessing they saw no point removing it from the engine when they were building Doom 2, since it's a pretty cool sector type for themed wads, and it seems like ID encouraged people to edit Doom and expand it.

I think some of the maps in certain DWANGO wads (or other old DM wads I've played online) have seemingly accidental map ending slime pits.. It would have been pretty annoying if it ended the round midway through, but now that map exiting usually isn't allowed in DM it's not a problem.

plutonia2 map11 and map28
tvr! map29 (I wonder if this one's accidental)

Such a shame this sector type doesn't work as a 'true' death-exit. Would make forced pistol-start mapsets so much easier to create.

Anyway, I never thought of these in terms of speedrunning, but it makes total sense now that you guys mention it.