Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Salt-Man Z

Error report - Crash when trying to load Master Levels save game

Did you upgrade Eternity since you originally saved? If so you will have to start over. Saves aren't upwardly version compatible. Eventually there will be detection of this and the save will be loaded in a "compatibility mode" (most likely meaning you start at the beginning of the map you were on, fresh, similar to other id Tech engines w/patch upgrades).

Or, failing that, did you change the location of EE relative to your Master Levels wads?

The path of the file you were playing is stored inside the save and the file is reloaded using that path. Problem being there used to be a check afterward to see that the file was really loaded and it's currently disabled due to being incompatible with the new savegame code that was written in cpp-branch. So it's sailing right through in the event the file wasn't found.

Quasar said:

Or, failing that, did you change the location of EE relative to your Master Levels wads?

Yep, that's precisely what I did. I thought that might have been the problem, but my Vaporware Demo save (created prior to my Master Files save, or so I thought) still worked, so I had ruled that out. I can certainly move EE back to its original location (one subfolder down) and see if that fixes the problem.

Mind you, this isn't a huge issue or anything. I've only got the two save files, and I'm done with one of them. If moving EE back temporarily gets my Master Files save working, that'll work until I beat that level, then I'll just re-locate EE again and be good to go. Thanks for your help!

Salt-Man Z said:

So I moved EE one subfolder deeper (well, copied it actually) and now my Master Levels save loads just fine. Thanks again!

Figured that was the case. Just out of curiosity is your Master Levels path relative? (ie. something like "./masterlv" or just even "masterlv")

I need to get the "missing PWADs" check re-implemented in the new save game code so this crash doesn't happen >_>

Quasar said:

Figured that was the case. Just out of curiosity is your Master Levels path relative? (ie. something like "./masterlv" or just even "masterlv")

I need to get the "missing PWADs" check re-implemented in the new save game code so this crash doesn't happen >_>

My paths all look like "../WADs/_Doom2/MasterLevels" and so forth.

(My folder structure looks like this):

Doom
|-Eternity
|-GZDoom
|-WADs
| |-_Doom
| |-_Doom2
|-ZDoom

Salt-Man Z said:

My paths all look like "../WADs/_Doom2/MasterLevels" and so forth.

(My folder structure looks like this):
<snip>

That does make sense then. If you change it to an absolute path that problem won't happen again, but still, this *is* something I need to fix ;)