Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrettlynch

Holes

hi

Sorry I guess this has been asked a lot but I'm not finding a solution trawling the forum. When I create a sector why does a hole appear in the ceiling above it like so:

http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/hole.png

The box I'm creating is exactly the same height as the one behind it in the screenshot (already in the level) so I've pretty much copied the way its textures are set up etc. but still no luck.

thanks in advance
Garrett

It looks like the ceiling height is not the same as that of the neighboring sectors.

It also looks like the green armor room of E1M1, without textures.

Looks like that other circular sector has a hole in the ceiling too. It's just hard to notice with flat white textures. If you copied its properties, then it's no surprise the new sector's ceiling is also higher than the room's ceiling.

Setting up different ceiling height should be trivial. Which editor are you using?

> It looks like the ceiling height is not the same as that of the
> neighboring sectors.

Yes it was, that's what I wasn't getting - the relationship between various sectors ceiling heights and what headroom meant. I get it now. Thanks very much for your help.

I'm using Eureka. I have another question - still holes related but this time using transparency. I'm trying to use a transparent texture lowdown. Is this only possible in rails i.e. at mid height?

I have it working at midheight like so:
http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/rail.png

but when I use the texture lowdown cyan becomes black. Is this something I'm doing wrong or a limitation? If it's not possible is there any other way to make something look like there is a hole/gap in it low down?

thanks in advance
Garrett

garrettlynch said:

but when I use the texture lowdown cyan becomes black. Is this something I'm doing wrong or a limitation?

Both. The limitation is that you can't use transparent textures on upper or lower surfaces. What you're doing wrong is testing in a port that attempts to fix your mistake by replacing the transparent (not cyan!) pixels with black. In vanilla Doom, the transparent pixels are replaced with a hideously ugly mess of random colours. Always test in vanilla or Chocolate Doom unless you're targeting an advanced port (in which case you should specify which port is required).

garrettlynch said:

If it's not possible is there any other way to make something look like there is a hole/gap in it low down?

No. Doom isn't a true 3D game. Everything above the ceiling and below the floor is solid, and there's no way around that. Guard rails and similar constructions aren't solid structures. To make a guard rail, place the texture on the middle surfaces of the line where you want the guard rail to appear, then set the "Lower Unpegged" and "Impassible" flags on that line (to make the texture appear on the floor instead of the ceiling and prevent the player from walking through it respectively). Doom 2 MAP01 shows how it's done. There is no separate sector with a raised floor.

It's actually possible to have transparent or translucent floors, but it requires advanced ports with support for 3D floors. Then you can define a volume that will be there and can be transparent/translucent. (The real floor and ceiling, though, will still be fully opaque and solid of course.)

A big problem with 3D floors is that they are absolutely not standard and every port defines its own methods to create them, gleefully incompatible with those of other ports.

Foxpup said:

Everything above the ceiling and below the floor is solid, and there's no way around that. Guard rails and similar constructions aren't solid structures. To make a guard rail, place the texture on the middle surfaces of the line where you want the guard rail to appear, then set the "Lower Unpegged" and "Impassible" flags on that line (to make the texture appear on the floor instead of the ceiling and prevent the player from walking through it respectively). Doom 2 MAP01 shows how it's done. There is no separate sector with a raised floor.

I get it. Thanks for pointing me to Doom 2 MAP01, couldn't find an example in Doom 1 to look at. Thanks for your help.

regards
Garrett

On these railings, suggest setting a different light level on each side so that the mid texture is cleanly cut off at the floor. This prevents another anomaly of identical flats combining draws that could occur before the mid texture is drawn.