Find results in...
Marnetmar

[WIP] Knee Deep in Knee Deep in Knee Deep in ZDoom

So yeah uh I decided this should be a thing

Screens:

It's WIP so expect more refined stuff in the future

pls be supportiv of this emotionel endavor

<3

Another Knee-Deep in Doom project? It was done just fine back in 93, no need to keep trying to recapture that. What's next, Knee-Deep in the Shores of Hell ZDoom? lol.

Marnetmar said:
pls be supportiv of this emotionel endavor

<3

YOU SON OF A BITCH YOU WILL PAT FOR THIS

Seriously though, although the KDIZD idea is kind of old, there's always room for more vanilla mapping. Hoping to see more in the way of originality here though, DOS Doom is capable of more tricks than people realise. But as you said, it's just a WIP.

(You should just rename it to KDIKDIKDIKDIKDIZD)

So you're neck deep in ZDoom then? Good luck getting out.

Having said that, I'm up for any DeHackEd work.

Gez said:

So many knee-depths, so little ZDoom...

Which reminds me... is The Shores of ZDoom still alive? I sure wish it was.

Nobody knows. :/

I also wish this was active. What can be more hilarious than a retro ZDoom remake of a newschool vanilla remake of a newschool ZDoom remake of a retro vanilla game?

scifista42 said:

I also wish this was active. What can be more hilarious than a retro ZDoom remake of a newschool vanilla remake of a newschool ZDoom remake of a retro vanilla game?

I have only played the original Knee-Deep in the Dead and KDiZD, so don't expect me to keep track :D

Xfing said:

I have only played the original Knee-Deep in the Dead and KDiZD

That's right, nothing more exists. :) But as far as I know, KDiKDiZD was a serious project, cancelled far into its development and not released. KDiKDiKDiZD has nothing more than this (and ZDoom forum's) thread.

scifista42 said:

It's active, don't worry.

One could see if one could re-create as many of KDIZD's new weapons and monsters in Dehacked as possible (i.e if this is based on Doom1, there are loads of unused frames from Doom2 to use)?

But IIRC, Vanilla Doom would remove mobj's with the same ID numbers as Doom2's new monsters.

ID numbers are no problem, they can be changed via DEHACKED as well. The only problem is that SSG in vanilla Doom 1 can't work. That's probably one of the main reasons why KDiKDiZD was intended for Doom 2 IWAD.

scifista42 said:

ID numbers are no problem, they can be changed via DEHACKED as well. The only problem is that SSG in vanilla Doom 1 can't work. That's probably one of the main reasons why KDiKDiZD was intended for Doom 2 IWAD.

So the Lost Episode couldn't be played in vanilla? It had a perfectly functional SSG there.

Xfing said:

So the Lost Episode couldn't be played in vanilla? It had a perfectly functional SSG there.

The Lost Episode was made specifically for Zdoom by Xaser and the SSG there was done using DECORATE.

All I did in LE was import the sprites, since the target engines (ZDoom and Eternity) already load the code. Heck, technically the Ultimate Doom EXE does this too, though I've never actually tried shoving Doom 2 things in so I'm not sure if there are any gametype-restrictions that stop that sort of stuff from actually working in the original engine. It'd be a fun side-project to check at some point, though, assuming someone here hasn't already done analysis on it.

LE's maps require a limit-removing port anyway, and E5M4 does some sky stuff that Doom's standard render wouldn't be able to handle out of the box anyway (probably ruling out the likes of PRBoom-plus, though I must admit I've never tested it there).

A proper limit-removing version would be totally doable, though, assuming I ever go crazy and decide to do that. Maybe 'nilla too since I actually know how to do that now. Kinda. :P

...Sorry for the hijack, Marn. :P

I find it difficult to play LE. The big draw was the two alpha maps, but I kind of wanted normal versions to play to be able to properly appreciate the voidified version.

I'll finish LE someday. Someday.