Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrettlynch

Doomseeker/Zandronium and Doomsday Engine

Hi

I'm trying to understand how Doomseeker/Zandronium is used to set up a multiplayer game. First is it possible to use the Doomsday Engine instead of launching the game through Zandronium.

I'm setting up my server like this:
http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/create.png

and it looks like it works:
http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/console.png

Doomsday launches without a problem but when I search Doomseeker for the name of the server I set up there is no trace of it - how do I find/join the game I created?

thanks
Garrett

Doomseeker only supports Chocolate Doom, Odamex, Vavoom, and Zandronum. You can specify a random binary provided that the command line parameters are compatible as you saw, but it can't find the server since Doomseeker doesn't know the protocol. You will not only find that the server isn't set up exactly to the parameters specified in the GUI, but you'll also have to join the server manually.

Your best bet would be to convince someone to write a plugin. Since I've found that the quality of the plugins are much lower for ports I don't use (and users typically don't bother reporting bugs), I have no intentions to add support for Doomsday myself. However, if someone submits a patch for a plugin, I will maintain it upstream for any API/ABI changes (although we're working to try to minimize the chance of that happening).

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've just had a look at Chocolate Doom and Odamex (Can't find Vavoom), both of these are crashing with my modified Doom wad, I assume this is because it I need to -merge it with an official doom.wad to play it but nether really looks like a great option as they seem to be about fidelity to the original experience of playing doom. I quite like the quality improvements in Doomsday but I'm not tied to it as a front-end.

Can anyone suggest what my options are? Multiplayer with Doomsday (any combination of server creation software with it) isn't possible, ok. Is there something else out there that:

a) has the ability to easily add your own modified wad
b) looks good e.g. opengl etc. / is not about maintaining fidelity to the original game
c) can be used with any multiplayer server software

All of the above would need to be OSX/Unix accessible or at the worst usable through wine.

(I did try Doomseeker and Zandronum together and my wad launches but it looks terrible and I still can't the server listed.)

garrettlynch said:

(Can't find Vavoom)

Vavoom's dead.

garrettlynch said:

both of these are crashing with my modified Doom wad, I assume this is because it I need to -merge it with an official doom.wad

What? No, don't! Don't use a modified doom.wad!

And especially, especially not if you want to play online against other people. If you don't have the same data they have, you'll get glitches, desyncs, and/or accusations of being a cheater.

If you want to modify stuff from the original game, the way to do it is to put your changes in a PWAD, which is an external file, separate from the IWAD.

Fortunately, if you have kept the original, unmodified IWAD around, you can quickly transform your modified IWAD into a normal PWAD. Grab SLADE 3. Select the original, unmodified IWAD as the base resource archive. Open the modified Doom.wad. Use Archive->Maintenance->Remove entries duplicated from IWAD. There you go, most of the work is done. (You'll need to remove copies of maps manually though.) Now you can save, and from now on, load the modified file as a PWAD ontop of the unmodified IWAD.

Gez said:

Vavoom's dead.

Yes guessed as much.

Gez said:

What? No, don't! Don't use a modified doom.wad!

And especially, especially not if you want to play online against other people. If you don't have the same data they have, you'll get glitches, desyncs, and/or accusations of being a cheater.

If you want to modify stuff from the original game, the way to do it is to put your changes in a PWAD, which is an external file, separate from the IWAD.

Yes I realise all this. I have kept the original wad and I'm editing a copy of it for the moment. When I'm done I probably will put it in a pwad. It's not destined to be played online just a local network.

Lastly I'm an idiot, scrap my last post if I had looked at Doomsday closely enough I would have seen it came with a server via the console and this works perfectly for me.

Just need to sort out a duplicate client id (http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Duplicate_client_ID) issue. Anyone know where this is stored on the OSX version?

Duplicate client ids are usually the result of copying an existing Doomsday installation from one system to another.

Look for a file named client.id in your install's runtime directory and simply delete it -- Doomsday will autogenerate a new one, for you. Although I don't use a Mac, its probably in ~/Library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine/runtime

Alternatively, one can override this manually with the -id command line argument.

if I had looked at Doomsday closely enough I would have seen it came with a server via the console and this works perfectly for me.

I would also recommend checking out the Shell -- it makes administering your networked servers a doddle, with its own GUI and a built in command console.

Re: Doomseeker plugin

I've had a quick look at the API docs and this looks straight forward enough (and you're using Qt, whoop!). I'll try to schedule some time to implement this at some point.

hurray, found it and it works now. Thanks for the client.id path, not sure why I didn't see it.

Yes I meant the shell app (I think I said console by mistake). Don't worry about the Doomseeker angle for me now or certainly don't prioritise it, I won't need it as I can just stick with Doomsday for client and server but thanks very much for the offer.

Garrett