Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Maps by Doomkid, age 11

Wow, what a throwback in time. I suppose this is the 'original' Doomkid's Deathmatch.

I was recently snooping through the Zdaemon forums and stumbled upon some DM maps I made when I was 11 years old.. I remember me, Kitty, Metal, Grim666 and other oldie Doomers playing these on Zdoom/Skulltag 10 years ago.

I went through them all and added player 1 starts so they are very much Vanilla compatable. In the words of my younger self, "They look like some shit from 1995", but they aren't the worst DM maps I've ever seen.. Certainly not the best either.

For those curious:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3if4qtmm13333qq/minidm.wad

These might actually be a tiny bit of fun for people (like me) who have a hardon for OS FFA.

Normally I'd say "tell me what you think" when releasing a mapset, but I don't think that's completely necessary this time around. ;)

EDIT: Every map besides map10 uses MIDI versions of Offspring songs.. I feel old.

Lol you've been mapping since age 11??? Damn dude XD Your mapping skills have obviously improved A LOT from then. MAP01 was entertaining and the offspring MIDIs were awesome. You don't really find MIDIs of the Offspring in Doom wads that often (unless I am ignorant haha)

I don't know if I told you this, but I actually started mapping back in November of 2011 and I was 18 years old at the time in my first semester at college (I'm 20 now). I believe that was when I first discovered Doombuilder. I experimented with it and created my first single player wad called "Castle Hell" It contained 4 levels and needless to say..... they sucked pretty bad lol. I wish I still had a copy of the pwad so you can see for yourself just how bad it was. It was like a typical early 90's wad with every mapping error you can possibly think of. I had absolutely no clue what I was doing lol If I remember right, I used MIDBAR textures on the walls which was beyond ridiculous. The first level had 600+ enemies and to top it off.. a cyberdemon. I also had no concept of setting the enemies to "deaf" and as a result of shooting 1 round, all 600+ enemies were alerted throughout the entire map. I think I also had Metallica MIDIs too, but I was too inept to understand how to consolidate data in wads using programs like XWE.

Sadly, that's all I could remember :/ I permanently deleted the entire thing most likely because it was a total pile of shit. I kinda regret doing that... You would definitely have laughed your ass off if I showed it to you now! Believe it or not... UAC Rebellion was actually one of the first wads I've ever played and I'm almost certain that it influenced me to start making custom wads :P

Hahah, just reading your post, a flood of memories came rushing back!

Technically, I've been mapping since age 9, waaaaaaaaaay back in 2001 the creator of the infamous "Doom: Rampage Editon" sent me a program called WadAuthor of the ancient Doom Connector service. I've been hooked for the last 13 years, on and off of course. The stuff I made prior to this was just what you described, tons of monsters none of which were deaf, and every damn texture glitch possible!

Ahh, the good old days. These were my very first step into making maps with Doom Builder. Sometimes I take how easy it is for granted. WadAuthor, DoomEd and all the other old ones are REALLY hard to use in comparison!

I've heard of those two editors! I've never used them before but from what I know, they aren't as user friendly as DoomBuilder 2.

I miss the good 'ol days playing Doom back in '97. Just talking about it brings back so many pleasant memories as a little 'wee one' playing Doom 95, Blake Stone, and Wolfenstein 3D. Life was so much simpler back then :)

Mr. Chris said:

Heh.

I've been mapping since 15-16 and I'm 31 now.

Haha nice, it's cool to see people on the forums who have been mapping since the 90's.