Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Doomers That Disappeared

NiTROACTiVE said:

I still wonder what happened to HavoX because he STILL hasn't done any activity since 3/23/2012. Either he forgot about this website somehow, or something bad happened to him. I sure hope it isn't the latter.

Obsidian said:

I'm pretty sure he's on the ZDoom forums.

Oh hell yeah, I would love to see more stuff from Ruba. He made some of the most fun-oriented levels ever, most mappers don't even come close to that.

Memfis said:

Oh hell yeah, I would love to see more stuff from Ruba. He made some of the most fun-oriented levels ever, most mappers don't even come close to that.

I just played killadve yesterday, I think because you recommended it in another thread, it was definitely a lot of fun. I can see why a lot of people who think Doom always needs to be srs bsns wouldn't like it but too bad for them. Would have been great to see what he'd be making now if he was still around. Any other highlights I should check out?

plums said:

I can see why a lot of people who think Doom always needs to be srs bsns wouldn't like it but too bad for them.

Oh, please. This hipster pose around killadve is getting old. I'd say most of the people who actually played the thing also liked it. The most negative comments at its /idgames page come from people judging simply by Ruba's shitty reputation, or from utter tools. The 3-4 star range is pretty accurate, imo.

Not trying to be a Doom hipster (what?) but maybe I could have phrased that better: This is the kind of mapset that I liked but would not expect everyone to like. If most people who did play it actually did like it, then all the better.

I didn't read the idgames reviews at all. I would agree that somewhere between 3-4 is the right score.

I wonder what happened to Melfice.

Oh, I read and found out that he's also Xenphire, but even that account hasn't posted in a while.

plums said:

Not trying to be a Doom hipster (what?) but maybe I could have phrased that better: This is the kind of mapset that I liked but would not expect everyone to like.

Yeah, that makes sense, don't mind my snarling. The mapset got a lot of crap initially, because Ruba was a troll mapper. Ever since, people who actually play it with no pretense then point out how underrated it is, which is true.

What grates my senses is that some of them sound like they discovered the coolest indie band no one knows and you casuals wouldn't get it anyways, man. Comrade memfis gets an excuse, because he actually maps in a similar minimalistic style (although better/refined) and hates big profile hyped projects pushed by The Conglomerate. :)

j4rio said:

I wonder if Ruba is just a camouflage of some regular on dw.

I've always thought that it is TOD but he keeps denying it so I dunno. :)

Memfis said:

It's just that we don't have enough discriminating information.

Memfis said:

The copypaste style and some unique/weird shapes occasionally resembles gggmork a lot more, I think.

Not sure if anyone cares but sigvatr (EGA Doom, keyboard goop, things about doom you just found out thread) seems to have mysteriously disappeared after being banned. He took his website down and I haven't been able to find any posts by him on other websites. Last I've seen any life signs of him was his YouTube profile that said he was active about six months after he was banned here, with no updates to his channel except maybe making all his doom related videos private. His profile has since been terminated for reasons I don't know last I checked. I can't find any trace of him anywhere.

many of you probably don't give a shit but I developed a pretty strong bond with him through private messages, and I discovered that he had one of the most profound perspectives in doom level design I had ever understood from anyone on these forums yet. You wouldn't know just from reading his posts here. I assume he may still be on the internet under a new alias or something but, man would I wouldn't give to talk about mapping with him again.

edit: by the way chrozoron is alive and well. We're friends on Facebook and I had him as a guest on WXR a couple times. He still plays doom from time to time and has playtested some maps I made a few months ago

sigvatr made some amazing textures. I'm not positive how many of them ever found a project to live in. They were 95% certified fresh.

Worst-vd-plas from the ZDaemon community who had an account here. He made great strides in dehacked, dehsupp, and this:

and of course [n00b]Adereth. + Jad + [UD]EarthQuake!!!

Quasar said:

A few people I can think of who've gone away suddenly that I wouldn't mind see come back:

AgentSpork
Anders Astrand
Cephaler
Chrozoron
cph
jj
RedRover
SargeBaldy

I've totally been here this whole time bro. Unless you mean from IRC... I frequently forget that it's still a thing. :(

Also, I for one am eagerly awaiting the second coming of SargeBaldy. That guy was... well, he was pretty much the man.

is it just me or does z86 pop in and out of reality?
i thought he was gone and then hellbound happened and then nothing again.

Jon Washburn's drop from the Doom community really felt like a downer. He had a sequel to Cold as Hell in the works, after his surprise return and remake/improvement of CAH. Then an abrupt disappearance; nothing in his posts indicate he was troubled.

40oz said:

many of you probably don't give a shit but I developed a pretty strong bond with him through private messages, and I discovered that he had one of the most profound perspectives in doom level design I had ever understood from anyone on these forums yet. You wouldn't know just from reading his posts here. I assume he may still be on the internet under a new alias or something but, man would I wouldn't give to talk about mapping with him again.

Oh, I miss sig, too. I've bumped into him in a few other communities. I liked Electric Retard.

Have you tried his Facebook? Other than that he's dropped from the net. I think he popped up one last time on SA around 2011(?) but they immediately banned him, I think. Those idiots want you to subscribe to view archived threads.

A member by the same name actively posts at videogamesawesome. Might be him.

I personally wonder where ZarkyB is at. Kid was a hoot.

And speaking of kids, DoomBoy. Stupidity cannot be concealed, and all that.