Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kontra Kommando

A_Fastchase for Ground Enemies

I've been wrestling with this decision, on if I should implement it into my custom monster or not. On one hand, it definitely makes the enemy tougher to kill. On the other, sometimes I feel it looks goofy. While I would normally choose game play over aesthetics; I want this monster to inspire a sense of fear in the player, therefore be taken seriously. It's a survival-horror WAD.

I would have made a poll, but there is no option for that in the editing forum. At any rate, please express your sentiments on this. Or perhaps, someone could give me ideas for alternatives.

EDIT: I feel the strafing looks more natural when you are facing a human player, or a bot that is similar to the player. I guess its just he way I think of it. I'm just not a 100% sure for the way it looks for this ground custom monster.

How about a pic of this monster? This can certainly influence opinions, if you say it can look goofy.

edit:> just realized that the point of goofiness is the floor fast chase. Still, the shot is relevant. It will probably look more acceptable in a monster with side legs, like a crab. Or in a monster that crawls.

Darch said:

How about a pic of this monster? This can certainly influence opinions, if you say it can look goofy.

edit:> just realized that the point of goofiness is the floor fast chase. Still, the shot is relevant. It will probably look more acceptable in a monster with side legs, like a crab. Or in a monster that crawls.

Its actually for my Aliens game; its the bipedal xenomorph drone. I think I'll just release the WAD as is, with the A_Fastchase intact. Because I think it makes it more challenging/fun. Even if there is a tad bit of goofiness, I now realize there instances where it looks really cool. For example, the player will be walking down a narrow corridor, and the xeno will strafe out of the darkness in an instant. I have to admit, I was startled a few times; that's exactly the reaction I want them to give.

Maes said:

This concept seems to have worked wonders in the Ghoul's Forest WADs....

I'm going to check this out. thanks

Kontra Kommando said:

I'm going to check this out. thanks

You might want to check parts 2 and 3 of the series, as well, as they had more "ghouls" with different movement patterns.

I don't want to shamelessly double-plug my WAD. But if you guy are still interested in seeing the Xeno with the A_Fastchase on it; check it out in the WAD forum.