Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Salt-Man Z

Mapping is HARD (or, My First Project)

So I've played around with DoomBuilder a couple times before, and only ever managed to put together two or three pretty basic rooms. But I was inspired yesterday by the Switcheroom project to try to recreate the first episode of Heretic as a Doom episode. I wanted to start off simple, so I simply copy-and-pasted "The Docks" and began replacing textures and items to match Doom E1M1. After 3 hours of work, I'd managed to finish exactly 2 rooms: the starting room and the "docks" portion. It's probably garbage, but I actually kind like the way it's turned out so far; I do plan on rearranging the secrets, and I also got the idea late last night in bed to redo the dock portion as a canyon overlook. I'd post a screenshot, but sometime between last night and this morning my hard drive decided to crap itself. (Hopefully I can recover the data on it, but that's not pertinent to this thread.)

Anyway, just curious:
1) Has anyone converted Heretic to Doom before?
2) Does it interest anybody else besides me?

Hopefully, I can get to the point where I'm recreating the levels from scratch (Switcheroom-style) instead of copy-pasting, but I'm taking baby steps for now.

Sounds nice. I would like to try it as I have not seen much fantasy Doom mods (or mods based of its counterparts). Good work!

I can think of a few conversions (or subversions, in some cases) of Heretic's E1M1 into a Doom level. Kama Sutra's MAP23 is based on Heretic's E1M4. Don't know of any others.

Hmm, I know I've seen a number of Heretic-Doom conversions in the past (and at least one Doom-Heretic conversion), but the only ones I can name by name at the moment are maps 23 and 31 of Kama Sutra, which are Doom conversions of Heretic's E1M4 and E1M5, respectively.

Salt-Man Z said:

Anyway, just curious:
1) Has anyone converted Heretic to Doom before?
2) Does it interest anybody else besides me?

Hopefully, I can get to the point where I'm recreating the levels from scratch (Switcheroom-style) instead of copy-pasting, but I'm taking baby steps for now.

If you did E1 of Heretic in a Doom texturing style and refashioned the maps for Deathmatch (shrink the overall size of the maps to a DM-friendly size, edit corridors, add doorways etc.) I think it would be a ton of fun and serve to teach you lots of stuff about Doom Builder along the way. If you do end up going through with it, for coop or deathmatch or just experimentally, keep us posted.