Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Ultimate Doom The Way id Did — Now on /idgames!

Really fun ultimate doom wad. Out of the ones I have played this one was the hardest so I like it the most. There are a few things that bugged me I guess:

- Invuln in e4m7 after cyb appears because you can lure cyb into pain sector around the lift that raised to allow access to ysk (where cyb is). The invuln also makes all of the lost souls, which are really fun with cybs, a moot point. This invuln should be an invis sphere on uv :P.

- Invuln in e4m8 during large final fight. This invuln should be an invis sphere on uv :P.

Enjoyed the rest. Thanks for making it.

Spoiler

E4M2 - the switch, that's suppose to open the passage to the secret is not the correct linedef action. It's WR, but it's too high to walk on, so I think it's suppose to be DR or SR.

Or is that an intentional John W. Anderson mistake in a McGee level ?

EDIT: Figured it out. Kind of a weird one though.

Edited by pulkmees

If it's the secret I think you're talking about...

Spoiler

with the doorstop textures inside a raised green torch inlet that opens access to the berserk powerup

...then it is the correct linedef action. Nifty execution that at least a couple of players have been able to figure out, so far.

Up to E4M6 and it's been quite fun so far.

This mapset certainly evokes different feelings for me than the original e4 did. And this one certainly isn't that brutal, especially if we compare the first few maps of both episodes.

Also, in e4m4 you can grab the plasma gun just by standing next to it, thus not activating the trap. That might be a sourceport issue though. I'm playing in zdoom.

I finally beat this. For some reason, I couldn't get those zombiemen and barons teleport in on e4m8. Mind you, I didn't manage to figure out that secret with red bars. I think I missed a switch. All in all, a great episode! 

Edited by Firedust

Late to the party!!!! 

Thanks for this! Browsing through the thread you probably realize how much I was waiting for this thing. Time to enjoy DTWiD again, and this time with its glorious fourth episode! Love you guys!

Do you intend to integrate this into the existing DTWiD wad eventually or will it be kept separate as an addon as it is now?

Edited by NightFright

I'm definitely going to pester BigMacDavis now to make a DTWiD walkthrough series now.

Noticed a bug with the current release - once you grab the plasma rifle after teleporting on top of it (where you release the cacos etc), an overworld sprite of the gun starts hovering in the upper left corner of the screen.

So I'm back to Doom (after what, 4? 5 year hiatus?) and UDTWiD is a thing.

Bless you Alfonso, Xaser, Use3d (whom I worked with on the first DTWiD) and big shoutouts to the rest of the team!

And it's goddamned good as well! 

Feels a bit more Inferno-ish than the original counterpart, but it's just like with the first three DTWiD episodes: the longer you play, the more you think it feels like the originals, after the initial familiarization is past. I'm at e4m8 now, haven't found the secret level. I hope someone writes the doom wiki articles for this episode soon, so I know where to head for spoilers :D

13 hours ago, Xfing said:

Noticed a bug with the current release - once you grab the plasma rifle after teleporting on top of it (where you release the cacos etc), an overworld sprite of the gun starts hovering in the upper left corner of the screen.

This sounds pretty bonkers. Can you take a screenshot of the effect in action and note the port + version you're using?

On 12/16/2018 at 12:25 AM, NightFright said:

Do you intend to integrate this into the existing DTWiD wad eventually or will it be kept separate as an addon as it is now?

Integration was the original intention, yes, but it stopped being discussed when we decided against making edits to any one of the original DTWiD maps for DM purposes, as was the case with Ultimate Doom's handling of E1M1. It would be pretty trivial to make the merger happen, still (and it would be the way id did!), but unless there's overwhelming support for it I'd rather leave it as an "addon" with a replacement dedhacked patch. On the face of it it seems like a pretty insignificant point, so I could put it the public vote.

Merger makes sense to me! Although I don't mind having the standalone download on this thread, either.

I'd also vote for merging. If someone made an intermission screen like for the first 3 episodes, that would kick arse too :D

I'm playing the game in GZDoom 3.2.5. Here's the screen of this: It's in E4M4 after you teleport on top of the plasmagun. Think I've had it happen in one of the later maps too. That sprite bobs alongside your field of view, so more of it becomes visible in a cyclical manner.

Screenshot-Doom-20181217-135503.png

Edited by Xfing

Huh, I have that happening in GZDoom too, in completely unrelated wads. I thought it was a smooth doom bug but it doesn't look like you're using that. It's definitely not a problem with UDTWiD though.

Just now, cardboard42 said:

Huh, I have that happening in GZDoom too, in completely unrelated wads. I thought it was a smooth doom bug but it doesn't look like you're using that. It's definitely not a problem with UDTWiD though.

Actually I'm using Smooth Doom alright :D Thanks for leading me down the right alley on this.

I've played through the entire thing now - gotta say, these levels are going to be iconic. Too bad the release missed the fanfare of the original DTWiD, but maybe the merger and a well-intentioned necro of the DTWiD thread would do the expansion some justice.

I've completed pistol starting this challenging and fun "Thy Flesh Consumed" episode. Marcaek's E4M4 stands out as as the most difficult map, but they are all quite challenging. Beware the yellow key pickup in Alfonzo's E4M7, it comes with a cost. Xaser's E4M9 is the longest map, a suitable finale with some tricky progression and a slaughterish finish. All maps require a bit of hindsight and planning to pistol start successfully unless you are an outright doomgod. UDTWID is definitely a difficulty step up from DTWID from 2011, the pair of wads now comprising a full on "rip your face off" 36 map ultimate doom experience.

28 minutes ago, tmorrow said:

UDTWID is definitely a difficulty step up from DTWID from 2011, the pair of wads now comprising a full on "rip your face off" 36 map ultimate doom experience.

AFAIK the team universally agreed that we wanted our E4 to never let up compared to stock. I think we pulled it off pretty well!

@Xfing That plasma sprite bug has recently been fixed, sorry about that! I have no idea what caused it, but it should be gone now if you download the latest SD.

I'm for a merger too, it's a more complete package, just as id's ultimate doom.

Gotta play that as I have a bit of free time now.

Really enjoyed playing through this episode!

One nitpick though: one aspect that didn't feel "the way ID did" to me, was the fact that you actually had to fight several of the cyberdemons.

As far as I can tell, the only ID cyberdemon you have to fight is the E2 boss. All the other ones, both in Doom 1 and Doom 2, are either optional or involve something that helps you defeat them without actually having to "fight" them.

• E3M9: invuln
  • E4M2: telefrag or just ignore
  • E4M6: invuln (secret route)
  • E4M7: optional
  • M8: let the barons do the job + invuln
  • M10: invuln (secret)
  • M32: invuln (secret)
  • M20: stab him in the back while he conveniently kills the spiderdemon for you
  • M29: run!

So ID cyberdemons are mostly presented as "puzzles": how should I overcome this monster without actually having to fight it? Maybe I've missed some secret or walkaround, but the cyberdemon fights in E4M1, E4M6 and E4M8 (the first one) of this wad all seemed non-skippable to me?

Part of the general increase in difficulty. You can avoid the E4M1 and E4M8 cybers by carefully running past them anyway, it's just isn't as obvious as in Stock Doom.

Interesting observation, Polri. I think I'm generally quite comfortable with the cyber distribution and how they're engaged (or not) by the player, and as Marcaek says it's mostly a product of the sort of "difficulty pot-filling" we've been engaging in. I didn't offer this aspect of design the full brunt of analysis as you have, noting mostly just the invul use, but it must have been lurking at the back of mind when drawing up the M7 encounter because the entire exit sequence to that map is made to facilitate a scary escape! Heh.

RC3 is being released to /idgames roughly a week after the new year, so any significant changes are off the cards unless they involve some small shuffling of items. Maybe the soulsphere in M6 can be swapped out with an invul (sorry, Zzul!).