Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Ultimate Doom The Way id Did — Now on /idgames!

I like this wad. Thank you for work.

My walkthrough:

How many DTWID series?
Doom the Way id Did

Doom the Way id Did - Lost Episodes

Doom 2 the Way id Did

Ultimate Doom the Way id Did

Something else?

23 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Final Doom the Way iD Did? Lol nah but hopefully one day soon.

The title should be Final Doom the Way id Didn't since id didn't do Final Doom.

Finished this the other day, and it was a blast! Question about E4M8, though:

I started off by taking the northwestern path, and eventually found the exit after only 100/300 kills. (Never even took any of the eastern paths.) Then I mopped up and explored the rest of the map. I finally got the 3-red-barrier secret switch, but have no idea what it actually did?

2 hours ago, Gez said:

The title should be Final Doom the Way id Didn't since id didn't do Final Doom.

Perhaps "final doom the way id sold it " :p 

Ok there are pl2 and prcp for plutonia already and tnt evolution and revilution for tnt, (have i missed any other final doom megawad?), so I don't know if people are willing to rehash the themes another time. But if one isn't too demanding, then the community should be able to collect enough fitting maps within a short time.  At least,  the level of detail in final doom isn't too hard to imitate in modern editors. 

Final Doom the Way id Did: find two megawads in progress that are nearing release, recruit the teams, release both megawads together as a single product.

E4M2: The back of the sign (line 876) in front of the secret exit switch (line 869) is also marked as a secret exit switch.

G0xIEQs.png

If you press the switch in the middle, it doesn't change texture or make a noise, because the sign absorbs the key press. As the sign is only a partial occluder, pressing the switch at the extreme left or right ends will still make the sound and change the texture. Nevertheless, please remove the secret exit action from the back of the exit sign, so that the real secret exit switch always sounds and animates as expected.

Played some bits of the maps of this epiosode with DosBOX and doom.exe, found a bug at start of E4M9 (Z_free: ZONEID error)

Amazing episode from the little i've played, even if looks like 2 levels tend to be Fear but made better (E4M2 and E4M3).

Really liked E4M6 start and it's homage to E1M1 zigzag corridor, also i really enjoyed E4M8 from the little i've played...

Edited by Walter confetti

With all those Plutonia sequels as well as Revilution, I dunno if FDTWiDD is that sought-after. I'd much rather see this baby merged with its original release and uploaded to idgames ^^

finish

Spoiler
  • Tweaked E4M5, removing redundant dual teleporters in northwest area and other duplicate objects that just made people spam use on walls to no avail, yikes!
  • E4M8's bridge cyber can no longer be escaped by running into the bay of water below. Thank you Killer5 for pointing this out. Sorry about leaving in the invuls :^)
  • DEMO4 (extremely important).
  • Par times (extraordinarily important).

The majority of contributors decided against merging the new episode with the existing DTWiD. This is not the way that id did it, it is known, but then neither was me sitting on my laurels for five years.

Maybe if I spent all that time playing deathmatch we would have achieved the truest of all possible crises in development. I guess we will never know.

Congratulations on the final release of this outstanding episode. Out of curiosity, what is the difference between rc2 and final?

Very little. It's there in the spoiler tag. Half of the delay was in fact buffer space after the DWIronman League and other streams ran through the set so that no juicy bugs would come scuttling across the floor. The other half was me indulging in just a little more laziness before signing off for good. There may or may not have been some overlap between the two :)

EDIT: Just as an aside, I read somewhere of someone disappointed that the level names weren't sourced from the bible. In fact, all of the map names are King James approved! They each occur just once, as with the original Flesh Consumed... except for "Unclean Spirits", which appears to occur approximately 1,000,000 times.

Edited by Alfonzo : King James

Thanks @Alfonzo, silly of me not to check the spoiler tag. Don't worry about delays, doom is a hobby for most of us and any contributions are welcome and on whatever timeline that suits.

It seems the secret exit issue I reported is not fixed, was it considered too insignificant to bother with?

59 minutes ago, RjY said:

It seems the secret exit issue I reported is not fixed, was it considered too insignificant to bother with?

No! In fact, the bug is what in TWiD circles is known as a Leave It In™ and is a prize find. The stock maps were choc full of broken bits and pieces, and while we could cheaply manufacture them for bonus points in authenticity, it is best for them to accidentally happen and then get left in.

We didn't have anyone mistakenly duplicate a secret sector effect across an entire staircase, so this is a most welcome substitute.

Bit of a shame this wasn't merged, but I'm still gonna tell BigMacDavis it's on idgames already. I really want him to do a complete walkthrough of the entire UDTWiD mission. His are always a delight to watch.

If you want a merged version, contact me and I can hook you up with it. I won't post the link here since it's not official and also probably not what the team would want.

Edited by NightFright

Sorry to bump this up, but in E4M5: Doctrines of Devils, where the red skull is, the hanging bodies are flagged unpassable. Is that right? Because that part becomes a little tricky just trying to reach the skull while fighting the hordes and then, after safely found the proper way to enter the skull chamber, it is possible that the floor will rise, blocking the only exit. After fighting all the way there and then getting stuck until the floor goes down, its and easy die spot with the blood floor draining your health pretty badly. Maybe using another decoration and not the hanging bodies to mark that there is no way out by that way after entering the red skull chamber... or go the easy way and make them passable to make the battle less unforgivable with the chamber, while draining the health, a safe spot to battle the horde outside.