Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Ultimate Doom The Way id Did — Now on /idgames!

Thanks for the feedback Alfonzo - I just might take another try at it. It's fun trying to replicate that E4 feel.

Well sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful to the work you're doing or anything. But you could confirm whether Episode 4 has been shelved for now due to other projects going on currently, such as FDTWiD.

We're wrapping up pretty darn soon, here; I'd guestimate somewhere around January at the latest, depending on whether one or both of the folks responsible experience a sudden bursts of interest. UDTWiD was always a bit of a back-burner project, really, so these are the punches we just have to roll with!

Alfonzo said:

We're wrapping up pretty darn soon, here; I'd guestimate somewhere around January at the latest, depending on whether one or both of the folks responsible experience a sudden bursts of interest. UDTWiD was always a bit of a back-burner project, really, so these are the punches we just have to roll with!

Thanks for the answer! I personally can't wait, I was a huge fan of E4 and the original Doom overall, so I was quite sad when I read how id Software treated E4 like a stepchild with Down's. So yeah, even though it's a back-burner project, there is still gonna be an audience :P

BTW I believe I've actually never asked this question, but it's been bugging me: are you going to include stuff that makes it impossible to get 100% secrets in one or more levels for historical accuracy? That was really annoying and one could totally live without it - that one kind of designer screwup that would really be better off ignored for this project here.

MEGABUMP

no we wont do that intentionally it's stupid

also where the hell is the last map

Marcaek said:

also where the hell is the last map

If no one's volunteering for that E4M7, Alfonzo better makes me "Cell Anderson" right now.

Cell said:

If no one's volunteering for that E4M7, Alfonzo better makes me "Cell Anderson" right now.

And Hell Followed was a rather bad map in my opinion... Not bad because of its layout, but kinda felt sloppily made, dunno.

Xfing said:

And Hell Followed was a rather bad map in my opinion... Not bad because of its layout, but kinda felt sloppily made, dunno.

WHAT?! That's one of the best maps in the entire episode. I felt Anderson did a better job than Willits did, and Hell Followed was better than Unto the Cruel.

nxGangrel said:

WHAT?! That's one of the best maps in the entire episode. I felt Anderson did a better job than Willits did, and Hell Followed was better than Unto the Cruel.

I thought it was too schematic and symmetric. It was better than "Fear" at least.

Alfonzo said:

just a friendly reminder to senor project leader to get on the asses of or replace MIA contributors

Xfing said:

Well from what I saw Final Doom TWID activity has also kinda died down recently.

Just mail the FDTWID contributors that the window of opportunity has closed.

Gez said:

Just mail the FDTWID contributors that the window of opportunity has closed.

What do you mean? That the rest of the project is going to be finished only by a select crew now?

AD_79 said:

Can you stop bumping this thread for no reason?

As opposed to bumping it FOR a reason? haha

Fellas!

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more cow-- uhh Ultimate Doom the Way id Did!

P.S. Just in case, I think this is a damn good reason to bump the thread.

Hi! I know this project is sort of in stasis, but I wanted to attempt a Peterson map and try to imagine what an Episode 4 map by him would look like. I've never tried a Sandy-style before, and it was an interesting job trying to balance his crazy anything-goes texturing style with episode 4's tight aesthetic. Not sure how close I got, but I hope it's at least fun to play. (edit 2/28/2017: updated to fix some blocking decorations, map should be more vanilla friendly now)

You can download it here! (made for any slot but occupies E4M1)

On 14/2/2014 at 4:53 AM, Alfonzo said:

Map List:
(NOTE: Arrangement is liable to change as maps develop. This is placeholder stuff)
e4m1: Pavera Romero (screen1 screen2)
e4m2: Rottking McGee (screen1, screen2)
e4m3: Alfonzo Green
e4m4: Marcaek Green (screen1, screen2)
e4m5: Purist Mcgee (screen1, screen2)
e4m6: Tarnsman Romero (screen1, screen2) - Heavily WIP
e4m?: ???
e4m8: Xaser Anderson
e4m9: Use3d Willits

If possible, this should be finished and released, either as a supplement for the original DTWID or as a new PWAD which would include DTWID, these new maps and updated DEHACKED info for this new episode.

Well, in any case we already have the episode 4 of DTWID-LE.

On 19-02-2017 at 8:29 AM, Gifty said:

stuff

This is the bump this thread needs!

I played this map and enjoyed it quite a bit; it kept me on my toes and there was always something interesting happening. It had a clear episode 2 vibe, with its varied use of textures, and intricate, mazey layout that merits thorough exploration, contrasted to episode 4's more open, in-your-face map style (the northern room is the one that felt closest to E4). The use of those white concrete walls also recalls Sandy, of course. Overall, I'd say my immediate impression is that, in its layout, this map is more E2 than E4, but the use of E4 textures and its difficulty take it into E4 territory (for instance, the dark hallway behind the yellow key reminded me of And Hell Followed, in its aesthetic, and Hell Beneath, in its combat). It truly does feel like a hypothetical Sandy map from E4. Do take all these comments with a grain of salt, since I haven't given that much thought to what makes an E4 map; I'm just working from gut feeling here. But anyway, solid map that feels true to the original game.

I found something to fix: in the blood-filled area to the east, the stairs with lights on the floor, from which a bunch of zombiemen come out, are incorrectly set to be damaging floors.

If possible, this should be finished and released, either as a supplement for the original DTWID or as a new PWAD which would include DTWID, these new maps and updated DEHACKED info for this new episode.

Well, in any case we already have the episode 4 of DTWID-LE.

Yeah, here's hoping it gets finished. The screenshots look(ed) too good to let the project die.

There is tutti-frutti at (3079, 1624), this map has no multiplayer support and lacks of skill adjustments. However, this is forgivable taking into account this is a primitive version, a concept. The good thing is that map seems 99% Vanilla (no 100% because I have not discarded overflows when saving the game in Vanilla / Chocolate) and its design / layout seems nice, generally speaking.

We only have 2 blank slots and I'd like to see some iteration of Giftymap make it in. I have a few issues, will start with the minor:

It's easy enough to snag on the edge of the Lost Soul hitboxes here that I'd suggest moving them out a bit.

Spoiler

doom341.jpg

The monsters here waste the player's time and don't really offer any challenge, it's not fun slugging through them and you could stand to lose them IMO. Id prob replace all the monsters spawning in the pit afterward with cacos coming out of the lowered teleporter, so you have to maneuver around them+they can rise up and take shots at you later.

Spoiler

doom342.jpg

I think these cacos ares stuck, i had to blast one before the other left.

Spoiler

doom343.jpg

I apparently don't have the screenshot but the switch in the cacolift you teleport to you can get stuck where the switch is once the lift raises. TBH I'd prob just plop the player right in the ashwall pillar room and let them scramble a bit. and toss that whole lift area entirely.

Monster usage? Sandy very very rarely used barons after Doom 1, presumably because he considered them ineffective\boring most of the time. I have to say the only baron in this map I liked was the teleport trap guy because you have little space to move. The zombieman staircase trap near the green armor is cute but pretty worthless, would remove\replace it. I want to suggest using spectres instead of demons period in this map given that Sandy often had maps where he would not use certain monster types at all (even in Doom 1)

Overall I'd say this is a pretty fun map, but there's juuuuuuuust too much map for its own good: Tarns and I agree that once you get to the skintek maze it  feels like the map should be over. I'd axe the maze and use that bit for another map somewhere because I don't hate it, just feels a little like padding in this one.

oops, marcaek replied just as I replied, this post is kind of redundant now!

damn daniel that is some odds

EDIT i just remembered you should kill the backpack its only good for having 100 shells all the time, bleh