Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Extremely large detailed maps

Maes said:
In general, "city levels" tend to fall into the trap of poor gameplay

That's usually because people plunk down an entire grid, fill it with monsters and don't mark real doors from dummy door textures.

The Duke3D community has produced some nice city maps. Their trick is to not overwhelm the player with street after street. Most maps feature just a single street, or single square block, or several unconnected streets while using buildings/subways to travel between them. Some mini reviews below, use EDuke32 to play.

Anorak City (1/5)
Basically two square blocks connected by a long street. The starting block is easy enough; for the larger next block you'll need to visit buildings to unlock more to proceed. Between visits the streets sometimes get repopulated, and most of your battles take place there.

The AMC Pleaser (3/5)
A single street, used to connect various buildings together. Well done, nice to explore. The meat of the gameplay is inside the buildings and you'll recognize typical E1 Duke3D themes. However, after the red key door the gameplay rapidly deteriorates into a boss shooting gallery.

Welcome Home (3/5)
A nice short map that's pleasant to look at. City-themed, but diverges from the normal E1 Duke3D stuff in a nice way.

Slums of LA (3/5)
A single square block, featuring the usual buildings such as gunshops, motel, burgerjoint and club. Flow is nice.

Alpha City (4/5)
You'll start in a bland, boring and frankly very ugly subway. In fact, if I hadn't known that things would improve I would have deleted it right then off my HD. Once you emerge in the city districts, stuff radically improves. The three city parts are very well done, with a surprise showing up between part 2 and 3.

Filler (1/5)
Not a very promising title, but it's a big city map, divided over two sections of city blocks. For me it's way too crowded, both in monster count / difficulty and in texture abundance.

Bottles to the Ground (2/5)
A big sprawling block, leaving you to find 5 switches and 3 yellow keys to reach the exit. Ambience is nice. There's not enough ammo to kill the bosses, who seem to act as mere obstacles to avoid.