Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massacrebosco

Every musicians, what are your inspiration from for composing music ?

What are your inspiration from for composing music ?

From some heavy metal music ?
From classical music ? (e.g. Beethoven, Chopin, Shostakovich...)
From video game music ? Just like Megaman game music ?
From anime music ? Or from others ?

At first (so, 1999-2005ish?), it was mainly old MOD files, especially stuff from Purple Motion and Dr. Awesome, as well as trance and J-pop music. Game music also had a big influence on me, seeing as I started with the goal of writing music for my Doom levels.

These days I'm still influenced by those, save for the J-pop. But I also drawn more influence from groups like Front 242, Kraftwerk, Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, and also Boards of Canada.

Everyone needs to wait until Jimmy91 gets here. :>

Hearing from Earthquake would also be amazing but who knows where that Ohio nerd is these days.

It depends on what you mean by inspiration. Do you mean, where do I get my musical ideas? Well, if I'm just starting a piece, either I'll have been playing through a map and an idea just pops into my head, or I'll be sitting in front of an empty template in my music program trying to force myself to write something.
Once I've gotten something down, either I'll immediately decide it's terrible and abandon it, or I'll immediately decide it's terrible but force myself to work on it and occasionally make it good, or I'll say 'wow, this sounds great!' and then immediately run out of motivation and abandon it.
The ideas themselves don't come from anywhere in particular. They're usually just a bass line, or a particular drum rhythm. It's what you do with them that counts.

If you're referring to influences, rather than inspiration, then I'd say my influences are whatever I happen to have been listening to recently. Since I'm studying music at university at the moment, classical music (which is a rather vague term that actually incorporates a huge range of musical sounds and styles) is probably currently the biggest influence on me.

my inspiration is a blend between old speed metal (lets say testament)
and new tech metal. into the moat.

it just goes with doom so nice.

I stopped writing good music when I quit doing psychedelic drugs. So that.

Basically what I do is write a melody first (usually in E) and transpose it into a key I think fits what I have in mind. Then I write a rhythm and add percussion. Repeat as necessary.

I have jam sessions in my head. I hum a bit and make drum noises with my mouth. Like, all the time. I'm insufferable to live with.

Bucket said:

I have jam sessions in my head. I hum a bit and make drum noises with my mouth. Like, all the time. I'm insufferable to live with.

Yo I hear that. I imagine my girl loves it

One of the following scenarios:

1) I hear an awesome tune and change its notes in my head to come up with a tune.
2) I'm playing guitar/drums and a guitar riff/drum groove pops into my head out of nowhere.
3) I'm whistling random notes and accidentally come up with a tune.

Bucket said:

Me too, but just for fun, I don't use any of that stuff for my music.

I've been influenced by my fav bands/music. I rarely listen to music anymore though, mainly just make/play it.

Inspiration comes and goes rather unpredictably for me. Right now I'm going through a massive dry spell due to university being my biggest priority. I guess I just have to be in the right frame of mind, have my thoughts centered wholly on composing, taking whatever stimuli I can find (whether it's maps, ideas for maps, images, something I'm studying, or even a simple word or name I think up for the track title beforehand) and turning them into musical ideas, and build enough of them to create entire tracks with consistency and flow, but enough interesting melodies, rhythms, and change-ups to make listeners (including myself) want to keep listening.

The best advice I can give when it comes to wanting to make Doom music, is to play lots of the classic Doom PWADs, and listen to what your favorite MIDI artists do. Then do your darnedest to replicate or emulate it. That will help you loads with inspiration and with developing your own style, even if you literally just start by imitating that of others. I've always considered Mark Klem, David Shaw, and Stewboy to be my primary influences. :)

Listen to non-Doom artists as well. Analyze the music of your favorite bands and see if you can emulate it in your own music.

Do you mean inspiration for making Doom-music/midis? If thats the case; I have no idea where I get my inspiration from. It's just some melodies I have in my head, which doesnt fit any other type of music hehe. I guess other Doom midis are inspirational.

Also have to mention atmospheric metal music (some black metal and stuff like that). I use the same kind of melodies but switch the instruments from guitars and drums and use timpianis and strings and choirs and whatnot instead.

Black Metal(1st and 2nd wave), Thrash, Hardcore Punk, and earlier Death Metal all pretty much inspired my band.

I made a couple midi tracks, and I would say they are more inspired by the Doom midis that are inspired by Megadeth.

This is probably my favorite.

i'd guess most of my inspiration comes from video game- and electronic music, which is probably what i've listened to the most in my life ever since i got into music. i do listen to other kinds of music, too, but my music seems to mostly sound like what i mentioned above if you were to compare the two with each other.

Sorry for bumping, but thanks for everyone's ideas. :)
I always listen to Mark Klem, David Shaw, Stewboy's music for now.
Their music just fit the mood when playing doom. And gave me some musical ideas. Some of them are relaxing, I like them. :D
Also, I think PRIMEVAL's music are great too because of having emotions.

Various genres of music inspire me. Funk, death metal, hip hop, punk rock, new wave, polka, jazz, game music, etc. But I also have influences outside of music. H. R. Giger, David Lynch, various films and video games, cats, the ghetto, weather conditions, emotional states and other things all contribute. They're all moods that can be translated to music.

As a bass player I get inspiration from people who did something different with a bass. People like Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath), Cliff Burton (Metallica), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) and Les Claypool (Primus). Outside of that I get inspired by people who do different things with other instruments, I think anyone could be inspired by Hendrix no matter what art form you undertake, Ginger Baker from Cream made me think about time and beats totally differently, a combination of Kurt Cobain of Nirvana and Dax Riggs from Acid Bath made me really think about lyrics and what they can do for a song.

Outside of music entirely, H.P. Lovecraft, as insanely stereotypical as it sounds, was a good influence, same as Poe's works Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade was read to me as a child before I had heard Iron Maiden's The Trooper and that affected me and is still one of my favourite poems. Alan Moore, a comic book writer, is brilliant and dark. Horror films as well are a great inspiration for me, especially those of Italy and England in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

And, personally, my Dad. He introduced me to Tennyson, he read me Charge of the Light Brigade, allowed me to watch Hammer Horror films when I was younger taught me the basics of playing a guitar before I lost interest. My mother also read me books as a child and essentially made me literate, which is useful as a composer and lyricist.

When it comes to writing though, I never sit down to write something. I generally get riffs and tunes in my head and will sort of whisper nonsense to myself to get a sort of rhythm right. If I'm lucky enough to have a bass nearby I play is roughly and write it down if it's right and if I don't have a bass handy I try to keep it in my head until I do, which can be difficult and almost never works.

massacrebosco said:

I have a question. :D
If a person who has learned bass or drums then he/she can make a metal music easier. Is this true ?

In my 7 year experience in a metal band, I found that drummers were always hard to come by. Moreover, drummers tend to have a lot more power/responsibility than some of the other musicians, because their beat is the foundation of the song really. You can practice without a bassist, guitarist, or vocalist, but its hard to practice without a beat. Moreover, if you have your own equipment, and a car to transport it in; its a shoe in, when it comes to maintaining your position within the band (know how to play is a given). I recall, It was very hard to find a drummer with his own gear, and ride.

I get inspirations from the music I listen to. I got a lot of my playing style for guitar from people Joe Satriani, Dino from Fear Factory, and even Dimebag Darrel. However, I don't just dig on metal players I also love neoclassical artists like Al Di Meola and the like. As a drummer, I'm mostly inspired by metal players like Gene Hogland. That dude is a fuckin beast.

As a starting musician, I never stick to any genre in particular, I'm more of a hybrid of anything electronic. (ex. electronic music combined with rock or metal, with orchestral elements).

i'm actually unsure where my inspiration for metal MIDIs in Doom comes from. i mean, i DO listen to metal music, as well, but i'm much more of a electronic producer. maybe Doom MIDIs influence rubs off on me? :?