Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Boom move floor change texture

Am I missing something or even in Boom the "floor move, change texture" actions always use the dumb rule (change to the flat of the switch sector) instead of the logical one (change to whatever the floor is moving to)? Or can that be controlled somehow?

You can bypass it if you put the triggering linedef inside of a scrolling floor dummy sector. Instead of having the switch triggered to "lower flor 32 units, change texture", you can make the switch open a door in the dummy sector that lets the voodoo doll move over a linedef with said properties. Just give the sector the desired flat and you're good to go.

The longer you make the sidedef with the "scroll floor, move things" tag, the faster the floor will scroll. Make it super-fast if you want the trigger to activate in an instant.

The "dumb rule" doesn't apply to actions that lower the floor to the lowest floor and change texture - but you probably already know it. :/

dannebubinga's abovementioned advice is a good solution, though.

You're missing something, though I'm not sure what. Linedef types 9, 37, 84 work the same in Boom as they do in vanilla Doom (and the extended types 78, 146, 155, 159, 177, 191, 239, 240, 241 and generalised floor action types using the numeric model work the same way). If these linedef types use the trigger model, that's bug in your port.

Memfis: Check my map for doomworld megaproject 2012 (map14). The voodoo sectors in the upper east corner uses the moving floor effect and has lines triggered to lower floors, though not with the change texture effect. You can just add that effect and set the floor you want to experiment with it. It also has a sidedef lenght of 880 for a fast scrolling floor.

Voodoo sectors sounds like a hazzle. I usually make a 1 unit sector infront of the switch with the wanted floor texture on. If it (the 1 unit sector) stands out alot color wise, just lower it by 8 units or something. Nobody will notice ;P

You know, I've actually used this method before at least once but somehow forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me darkreaver!