Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViewtifulJC

Doom Beta announced with pre-order of new Wolfenstein

I almost chocked on my coffee when I read your headline!

But it would seem that you are only secured beta access for when they eventually release the beta:

from the link: A release date for Doom and its beta was not provided.

What?
Please put me to shame.

Edit:

WHEN DOES THE DOOM BETA START?
Although you’ll receive the DOOM beta key code with your copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order, the DOOM beta won’t begin until a later, yet-to-be announced date. We will contact you with news and updates surrounding the start of the DOOM beta via the email address provided during the key code redemption process.

Well.

Well, given the quote up there I'm not holding my breath. Either way it's nice to hear something that's not just a rumor of mismanagement or whatever :)

Kinda makes me want to pre-order the game solely for the beta, but I'm not sure if I can be arsed.

Doom 4 is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

So. I mean. I'd wait until we at least see a screenshot before we grab the wallets.

Doom 4 now just called Doom

I'd go with "ugh", but seeing as most people already think of Doom 3 when you say Doom, w/e.

I fucking love Doom games, i'm a fan of them, but I don't think this will be a good game, I mean, i'm really used to play classic FPS and seeing how the FPS games have 'evolved' the last years this new Doom game can be fucked up and sadly will be like new games that care about multiplayer gameplay and have shitty ass singleplayer campaing, and crappy gameplay.

But I hope i'm wrong, I want to play a good game... if i ever buy it

"DOOM" beta because that's what the game's going to be called - "DOOM". No number, no subtitle, nothing. Talk about milking the franchise. This is the sequel naming lack-of-ideas disease the game industry has as of late caught from Hollywood.

It pisses me off, mainly because it's specifically designed to cause search engines to start barfing up links to the new material based on searches for the old - ie., to marginalize the existing content - OUR content. Never mind that it also implies it is somehow worthy of replacing the original.

Yeah right.

Phml said:

I'd go with "ugh", but seeing as most people already think of Doom 3 when you say Doom, w/e.

You're not alone. It pisses me the fuck off.

Doom 3 atmosphere/graphics combined with Doom 1/2 gameplay? Yes please, otherwise it'll probably be as average as fuck.

And they'd better damn well bring back monster infighting.

It's hilarious. It took a brief amount of time and people are already moaning and complaining on every site, mostly with their copy&paste arguments. Just like everytime anything related to id is in the news. Cute.

I'm going to take a leap of faith a have hopes that Doom 4 will be better than 3. I hope that it will be a great game, worthy of the name Doom. All this despite the fact that id does not have any of the original creators on board. At any rate, there are Doom WADs by its fan base that are arguably better than the original 3 games; the authors aren't part of the original creators either. Food for thought.

I AM OVERFLOWING WITH EXCITEMENT!!! I CAN'T THINK COHERENTLY ANYMORE!

I can't believe it, it's not dead!!!

Now I am going to have to manage all the fantasies I am undoubtedly going to make in my head about how the game is going to be like.

Here's the FAQ.

WHAT IS THE DOOM BETA? HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
We will be providing more information on the specific content and duration of the beta test at a later time.

WHEN DOES THE DOOM BETA START?
Although you’ll receive the DOOM beta key code with your copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order, the DOOM beta won’t begin until a later, yet-to-be announced date. We will contact you with news and updates surrounding the start of the DOOM beta via the email address provided during the key code redemption process.

Quasar said:

"DOOM" beta because that's what the game's going to be called - "DOOM". No number, no subtitle, nothing.

The guys at id are geniuses with their naming conventions. In that way, we get a totally new "Doom" game every 10 years, presumably long enough for everybody (no-life DW dwellers that play a 20yo game excluded) to forget the old ones. Next stop, Doom 5, in 2024.

Quasar said:

Talk about milking the franchise.

No no, TRULY milking the franchise would be making a hyper-detailed, one-room simulation of Doomguy's house, where he sits before a 1994 PC and plays the Original Doom, whereas DOOM.EXE would simply run in DOSBOX ;-)

"Play DOOM The Way Doomguy Played It In The Future On HiS Grand-Grand-Grand-Grand-Father's PC!"

I'd like some promotional shots, but otherwise, I don't really care if they just call it Doom. After their first name for Quake II was unavailable, they could've routed their creativity too a new title, but then they just said: "Fuck it, lets just call it Quake II and move on." Besides, iD seems to like one word names for games anyways since Doom. Doom, Quake, Rage... Maybe Doom (4) should just be called Death, while the next entries are Bloody, Smash, Carnage, Gruesome, Womped, Crush, Gush, and THE ROCK

I don't have any strong feelings towards it if it ends up being called 'DOOM'. id's naming tendencies (or Valve's for that matter) are a trainwreck anyway. It would make sense to call it DOOM 4 or DOOM: [subtitle] to prevent the confusion but at the end of the day, I don't care that much.

Speaking of screenshots, what's the general consensus on these?

Some (like the one below) certainly do remind me of Doom somewhat (e.g. those distorted, smoking buildings at the end of Doom and The Ultimate Doom, not to mention Doom II's city sky)