Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jayextee

Games! Horrible things by Jay Townsend.

Some of you may've heard of the super-popular mobile game, Flappy Bird -- when it was pulled from stores by the creator Dong Nguyen, the indie game development scene put together a 'game jam' in tribute to it.

Mine was an obvious joke about Flappy Bird being poop. But I added a twist to the mechanic, where rolls of paper must be placed on the right-hand part of the screen to bounce the poop between the pipes. As per Flappy Jam rules, it's difficult alright.

Play Happy Turd here

-----

This is my first publicly-available game. I've made simple little titles in the past here and there, but never let them into the wild and saw them lost to the sands of time.

Place rolls of paper to the right of the dotted line. Works with a pointer device (trackpad, mouse, graphics tablet) or a touch-screen.

May not be compatible with some (*cough*Apple*cough*) phones though...

Mind Turd = blown.

Congrats on this game. My highscore is 2. On my computer. Thanks for giving me the joy for a couple minutes. Ragequitted with smile on my face.

My next game in development is a shooting game... with a twist (that I'm keeping slightly tight-lipped about for the moment).

Faux-EGA palette and a chunky resolution going on here. I'm actually thinking on a YM2612 (Megadrive/Genesis sound chip) soundtrack to complement the aesthetic.

Jayextee said:

Faux-EGA palette

That's more like faux-CGA palette, in particular the Black/Cyan/Magenta/White one. But I gotta say it does seem to work for the space-shooter theme you chose.

Krispy said:

Oh my fucking God I love this game. Seriously. Can you make a mobile version?

Happy Turd? Working on it, but some bugfixes need doing -- I rushed it out for Flappy Jam, and it could do with some polish. :)

Just out of curiosity -but "making a mobile version" means pretty much rewriting the entire game for a different platform, at least with the current state of affairs, right? Otherwise, the web version could just be used on any platform (it's Javascript after all, no?)

It's whatever Construct 2 exports as. HTML5/Java if I recall. Should I spooge a bit of money at a license, I shall be able to export as Android/iPhone apps. May look into this, depends how game dev goes with the new thing.

Alright, from mock-up (above) to actual in-game screenshot:

ONE SHOT (working title)

That's it -- one shot to complete each level in a shoot 'em up with a difference. The primary gameplay mechanic is to dodge everything and survive as long as you can -- however you get one BIG AND ALL-POWERFUL shot to use once in each stage.

Can you save it for the big bad boss, or will you need it earlier than that and have to instead dodge the big bad's attacks for long enough?

All the enemy types from my mockup are in, and it plays as it should with the basic bullet-dodging (though it's R-Type levels of tough, which I wanted). To-do is the HUD, and the titular One Shot, plus a boss to this first level.

Then a dash of presentational flair, and it's ready for a demo release (which I am doing for this particular game). I've even started putting together some scraps to feel out the soundtrack.

So, for another game jam (this time with a cyberpunk theme) I put together a simple little number called DOWN.LOAD -- in capitals, with the dot pronounced and everything! (Oooh, pretentious! :P)

Controls should actually function on phones this time, and the soundtrack was shat out in less than an hour. Enjoy? ;)

I was taunted a little for taking just over two days to create something as "simple" as DOWN.LOAD, so I decided on an experiment. How quickly could I make a game?

Presenting, Press Space. It ain't perfect, but it was completed in under three hours. Basically a stripped-down Asteroids clone using the arrow keys (or A and D for rotation).

Why do your games have so much oversensible controls, or require to have impossibly high reflexes right from the beginning? Is that "modern"? To be honest, I dislike it. In your place, I'd involve some reasonable difficulty progression and/or difficulty settings, which you apparently either underestimate, or deliberately throw off as a means of protest or something. Whether your games are jokes or not, I'd anyway prefer more comfort for the player.

Just my opinion.

scifista42 said:

Why do your games have so much oversensible controls, or require to have impossibly high reflexes right from the beginning? Is that "modern"?

Far from it, I aim for difficulty curves akin to those of '80s arcade games, of which I am a fan. I do make for gentle starts, but also for an increase that sees a lot of action in an average 60-second burst. Some of the longer games I'm making (such as ONE SHOT) will have much gentler difficulty curves.

I do believe though, games which aren't designed to be completed really should be a challenge.

All The Balls, all of them!

Basically a clone of Breakout, this came about from my thinking of such games "the multiball bits are the best, so I should make a game ouf of that".

Doominator2 said:

Happy Turd looks like shit.

Oh, what you did there -- Stevie Wonder could see it.

In earnest, Happy Turd is a bugged piece of ass. It was my first Construct 2 project and I had no idea what I was doing. Needless to say, I could probably recreate it with much more polish now if I wanted.

'If' I wanted. Maybe it's a project for when ideas dry up...?

Jayextee said:

All The Balls, all of them!

I find it annoying that the "impact explosion" effect overlays the ball and I can't clearly see it for a while, exactly when I'd need it the most. Also, sometimes the ball decides to move perfectly or nearly perfectly horizontally, which it shouldn't. Good job though, it's a nice game.