Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

Ok further feedback for "Cryptic".

Structurally this is great, it really captures the feeling of a Plutonia style map, so props there. Unfortunately, it FEELS a lot longer than a Plutonia map for one specific reason: you monster density is a bit too high. You're pressured from so many different points at once and movement is so tight that a lot of the time spent here will be finding a safe corner and sniping your way out of it. Specific areas where this is a problem: the start horde is maybe 4 revenants too thick, it doesn't add much actual threat and drags the fight out a bit. The drop down to the teleporter pad gives you 2 hellkinghts, a pain elemental, 4 chaingunners and a caco who can teleport behind you to deal with. The placement is TECHNICALLY effective but too much so, which doesn't give the player any room to move. The area next the the telepad is bullshit because it looks like just any area you could explore, but if you go in before pressing a required switch(which you'll want to do to avoid the incoming meat wave) it's an inescapable pit.

The Blue key area starts out pushing it, but i think it's alright until the switch is pressed. Again, technically effective but in a way that gives the player no freedom. You need to use the pillars to avoid the archvile, but the cacos on the outside will push you away from them, and the revenants will completely negate any safety you have via sidestepping. It looks like you're intended to drop into the blood but you won't want to do that because it's blood, which is usually damaging in Plutonia.

Finally some minor points, your revenants next to the blue torch in that pit area I complained about can't get out of their tunnel, which makes them not effective. The exit area looks really similar to something already in Plutonia(the exit of Compound" but idk if it's too egregious, up to the project leads.

I had a lot to say about this, which is a good sign :V Hope you stick it out because I'd like to see some version of this get in.

sincity2100 said:

This is my Secret Level entry in TNT http://www.mediafire.com/download/kahghkgbei91sa1/TNTMap7%40%40.wad

It's Called Paradise,emulated from Dario Casali Style

Send me feedback please

I like the map, might be your best submission so far! That being said, there are some things that feel off with it but I'm not really sure what exactly is bugging me. Someone who's more well-versed with the Casali styles would probably be able to give you better feedback.

jmickle66666666 said:

Marcaek made me make a TNT map

Introducing: Go Train!!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8943931/doomwads/gotrain.wad

Includes coop starts, DM starts, difficulty levels set up etc...

Not a fan of this one, it's a decent enough map but it's not very TNT at all. I already said as much on IRC but I wanna put it here too.

Thanks for the feedback Marcaek. I'm doing some tweaks now, and I really see what you mean lol. It's starting to play alot differently already. I can't upload a new version yet, still need to do some more tweaking.

Guest Unregistered account
sincity2100 said:

This is my Secret Level entry in TNT!
It's called Paradise, emulated from Dario Casali's style.

This map is pretty good! However, (And I'm not saying this because my map is also battling for the 31 slot) the spread-out style of the map, as well as the beginning box where you have to press a switch which lowers you into the level, all seems kinda... Caribbeany.

And while most parts, especially the name, the waterfalls and the *awesome* ending all fit the music, the general spread-out structure of the map gives it a city-like feel, and the Map32 music track... well... it's called Into Sandy's CITY....

Ok, sorry. Enough with the pointless rambling. The map was good and the biggest problems I found were tiny. The first is that one of the Chaingunners is slightly off a ledge, meaning that it's stuck in place.

The other one is that (and I know there's no real way to clean this up) the large number of visplanes causes giant HOMs to be formed, creating a brilliant sky display of overlapping frames.

Great map otherwise. :)

Joe667 said:

This map is pretty good! However, (And I'm not saying this because my map is also battling for the 31 slot) the spread-out style of the map, as well as the beginning box where you have to press a switch which lowers you into the level, all seems kinda... Caribbeany.

And while most parts, especially the name, the waterfalls and the *awesome* ending all fit the music, the general spread-out structure of the map gives it a city-like feel, and the Map32 music track... well... it's called Into Sandy's CITY....

Ok, sorry. Enough with the pointless rambling. The map was good and the biggest problems I found were tiny. The first is that one of the Chaingunners is slightly off a ledge, meaning that it's stuck in place.

The other one is that (and I know there's no real way to clean this up) the large number of visplanes causes giant HOMs to be formed, creating a brilliant sky display of overlapping frames.

Great map otherwise. :)

Thanks :),I'm gonna fix that chaingunner position over there

I'll keep it short. I liked it.

I'm sure you have some tweaking to do here and there (saw some texture alignment issues) but I did feel like it was something I could have made. I think you still like to use the animated textures too heavy-handedly and spinning computer tape reels shouldn't be where humans can't get to them, but that's a matter of finesse.

A bit wide open for me--I tended to have the player feel a bit more claustrophobic rather than a sitting duck out in the middle of a large area, but I think you got the style down. I liked the water-nukage area and tight tunnels, and the dropping walkway was unexpected (in a good way). Lighting looked rather like my style with angled shadows.

sincity2100 said:

Here's another TNT entry http://www.mediafire.com/download/4revdro5rtg4d2v/TNTMap10.wad

I call it "Technology Nightmare" Doing my own style on episode two

send me feedback plz

A lot to like about the layout and design of this level. Really interesting and fun. Good fights.

-Probably could use a little more light variation on the level.
-GRAY7 much?
-The Red key trap was a ridiculous pwnfest. Rectify please. And less arachnotrons as you fight your way through the computer maze. They can't do much in enclosed spaces, and killing them all was a little tedious.
-The plasma gun and the Super shotty are both in the same general area of the map. Maybe separate them a little, so that you have a better chance of getting one or the other. The way it is, you will get both, or neither. And the way I went through the map, I found neither until much later in the level.

Alright, I've been working on a Plutonia map for this, which currently occupies the MAP10 slot (you may put it wherever you want it if this map actually gets used). This map works well enough from a pistol-start. I'd say it's more Dario than Milo, although you may disagree. I feel that the map still needs a lot of work. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Download the map, "Overdose": https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/overdose.zip

Hey, quick question: Does this look familiar?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/doom_ptwid_wip/map32_deal_w_it.png

This is an early work in progress. Deal w/ It.

EDIT: Yes, you likely know what this is. It is MAP01 of Doom 2: The Way id Did. Plutonia's MAP32 took Doom 2's MAP01 and turned it into a slaughter map, so I thought I'd do the same with D2TWID's MAP01.

Here's an image that compares the layouts of the two maps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/doom_ptwid_wip/dealwit_vs_loadingbay.png

AD_79 said:

Hey, quick question: Does this look familiar?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/doom_ptwid_wip/map32_deal_w_it.png

This is an early work in progress. Deal w/ It.

EDIT: Yes, you likely know what this is. It is MAP01 of Doom 2: The Way id Did. Plutonia's MAP32 took Doom 2's MAP01 and turned it into a slaughter map, so I thought I'd do the same with D2TWID's MAP01.

Here's an image that compares the layouts of the two maps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106557511/doom_ptwid_wip/dealwit_vs_loadingbay.png

Can't wait for the finish