Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

I liked. Both difficulty and monster count seem very reasonable for the intended slot.

I have noticed this map lacks of skill support, so for skills 2 and 3 certain enemies should be removed or replaced with weaker ones. And I guess that support for cooperative and deathmatch games should be taken into account. At least, both DTWID and D2TWID support, supposedly, cooperative and deathmatch games for 2-4 players.

Edit: there is something I miss, one backpack in the starting area.

http://www.mediafire.com/?977siba7vrh9ksb

Demo (-complevel 4 or -gameversion final) of this new map. Unfortunately, I entered prematurely into the exit pad leaving one or two living monsters... And ran out of ammo, mainly because I picked up accidentally one box of shells when I had, more or less, 40 shells.

Edit 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?5995w1v319vu91a

A more proper demo, with better ammo management. What I dislike about this map is being unable to get the super shotgun (badly needed to kill that arch-vile released when getting the red skull key) until these blue bars are lowered.

Edited by Litrivin : Add new demo and feedback

Regarding https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1723013.

I have tested this map, F-Stranded. While I like it, there is something I dislike: the blue skull key ambush, where one has to deal with many mid-tiers (including revenants), platforming, damaging floors and flying monsters simultaneously. This is a bit dire as manoeuvrability is severely reduced due to damaging floors and flying monsters (they are infinitely tall in Vanilla-like engines). At least, one protector suit should be added to have a fairer combat. Also, the lack of backpack.

Guest Unregistered account
6 hours ago, sans the skullerman said:

i am severely disappointed that this isn't called "Final Doom The Way Id Didn't"

Well, if the occasionally-mentioned Master Levels TWID gets greenlit, it'll be even more of a missed opportunity.

http://www.mediafire.com/?p5lgb0ibh7qjegf

Demo of F-Stranded. Comments:

—Definitely, one backpack is very recommendable, in my opinion.

—At least one green armor should be added. Currently, player will go unarmored for the vast majority of time.

—While the blue skull key ambush doesn’t look that awful, at least that one soulsphere and blue armor should be replaced with a megasphere, so the player can be better prepared for this battle without wasting conventional stimpacks / medikits.

—Secret with one BFG9000 should be somehow redesigned. Currently, it’s very possible the player picks up the BFG9000 without getting credit for this secret, due to the really small size of the secret sector itself and because it’s a timed secret, thus the player cannot step back and forth carefully on that secret sector.

Not really. Needs a node rebuild though.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:50 PM, Jaws In Space said:

My old file sharing site is going away, so I've reuploaded my map 1 submission to dropbox.

Mustaine map

Because I haven't made enough fucking maps lately, I made another Dario for episode 2. :P

"Hardpoint" (map14)

gTHJlkHm.jpg vkVTYvvm.jpg

Now is probably a good time for me to stop making new maps and work on improving my existing submissions. Probably "Stranded" first. Thanks for the feedback, Litrivin!

F-Waste.wad has drawsegs and visplanes overflows (mainly drawsegs overflows), at the southwestern corner of the biggest room. Checked by Visplane Explorer, with (important) open doors.

F-Waste_visplanes.png

F-Waste_drawsegs.png

Edited by Litrivin : Add screenshots

So you know this trick with the invisible walls? It would appear that Dario liked it, as it turns up in maps 4, 6, 11 and 31 and i don't think Milo used it. The way Dario built these was just to make a wall with no textures that goes up to one unit below the ceiling (this 1 unit gap is important).

7RJ4uvq.png

And one more observation, it feels to me like the most obvious D2 homage/knock off maps like map15 (for me this is more Abandoned Mines inspired than Map04), 18, 21, 24, 27... all Milo.

There's a general rule with Plutonia, Milo usually made whole levels riffing on Doom 1\2 levels, where Dario usually just did it for specific rooms and spent the rest of the map experimenting with shit.

There's overlap of course, nobody can agree on who really made Map28, credited to Dario but with some obvious Miloisms.

Edited by Marcaek

Map24 seemed more of a Dario map, as even though it is inspired by The Living End, it's much more closer to Diehard from Memento Mori, which he also did. Considering how Milo does a lot of levels that draw inspiration from Doom and Doom 2 levels, it's safe to say that in concept, Map28: The Sewers might have riffed from E3M7: Gate to Limbo, cause that map also has tons of radiation suits used for wading over pools of harmful liquids.

9 hours ago, Marcaek said:

There's overlap of course, nobody can agree on who really made Map28, credited to Dario but with some obvious Miloisms.

Similarly, nobody could agree on the who really designed Maps 08, 13, and 25, as even though they've been attributed to Milo, they obviously look more like Dario's. In terms of architecture and geometry, both brothers had their own approach. Dario's geometry is essentially his own as he does experiment with stuff, though at least they make sense in both design and texture selection. Milo's style is obviously Tom Hall-esque. Although it's unlikely Dario or Milo knew who made which maps of Doom and Doom 2, it's possible that Milo has played through maps like E1M4, E2M1, E2M2, E2M4, E3M7, and Doom 2 Map10 (all Tom Hall maps), and he must have liked the geometry so much that he applied it to his own design style.

Edited by T-Rex

After 42 attempts, literally, of recording one complete run of Hardpoint...

The final ambush of Hardpoint should (or has to) be toned down. That ambush with four hell knights, three revenants, three cacodemons and, as cherry on the cake, one arch-vile and scarce space to manoeuver around is too harsh for a map which doesn’t offer a plasma gun / BFG9000 and cells. By that time, ammo and health resources will be exhausted after defeating lots of annoying commandos and revenants placed in annoying places. On top of that, the secret soulsphere is unreachable until the player triggers this ambush, paradoxically, and gets access to the red skull key.

22 hours ago, invictius said:

sudo495's the guardian

This one is up. All AD_79’s maps seem to be down though.

22 hours ago, T-Rex said:

E1M4, E2M1, E2M2, E2M4, E2M7

Minor typo spotted.

I don't remember how hard Plutonia was, but 'Hardpoint' didn't seem so bad, really. It's basically that one fight. 

- The teleporter system is nifty, but the monsters are quite pesky to actually get rid of. Like three minutes later, monsters were still warping out. If you reenter the teleporter to get rid of stragglers, sometimes they'll warp out and then you'll follow them and they'll warp back in. It's a mess. 

- Pain elementals in a wide-open space when the player has practically limitless ammo for lost souls = a non-threatening cleanup fight. I think you can probably just go with four cacos or three cacos + one PE, supported by a warp-in of hitscanners.

- I liked the hectic quality of the RK fight, but this is a lot more interesting when the archvile always teleports into the window adjacent to the ledge. I noticed when considering doing a fast-paced casual max (decided against it because of the aforementioned teleporter problem) that the vile could teleport elsewhere, and it's just not as fun there, because it doesn't end up pathing towards the player.

These two pain elementals and cacodemons can be released one by one, more manageable.

48th attempt... finally, once and for all. While the tally screen reports 100%/100%/100%, I am afraid there is one living monster, fact masked by some resurrected one. At least, I can listen the action sound of one imp.

Demo, (-complevel 4 or -gameversion final): http://www.mediafire.com/?utlb6y524ajobpu

Edit: checked, 0 monsters unkilled, fortunately. Ok, I haven’t said anything about that ambush, those teleporters are actually even exploitable to telefrag the monsters. However, I miss one backpack and I think that one medikit should be replaced with a berserker pack, as sort of big medikit and melee weapon combo.

Edited by Litrivin

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, rdwpa said:

I don't remember how hard Plutonia was, but 'Hardpoint' didn't seem so bad, really. It's basically that one fight. 

By today's standards, Plutonia and other difficult wads created in the mid-late 90s like Hell Revealed are pretty tame. However, back then, Plutonia's difficulty was unprecedented before any other "hard" wad came along. One of the most important aspect for many mappers then was not only designing levels for themselves, but for also the amateur players, which is what sets apart TNT and Plutonia. Mappers like Ty Halderman, Tom Mustaine and others made sure to make their maps approachable for everyone. The Casalis, on the other hand, introduced levels that showcased very peculiar monster placement like commonplace revenants and chaingunners, multiple arch-viles, and packs of heavyweight monsters, which is also seen in their maps for TNT and Memento Mori, because even though they thought about the amateurs, they designed maps primarily for themselves, considering that they were established as being highly skilled Doom players and wanted to show others what sort of opposition they are able to take on. So, with this "Hardpoint" map, I'm sure Gifty's on the right track with that ambush.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, Litrivin said:

Minor typo spotted.

While there's also E2M7, E3M7 is a Tom Hall map, just only the first section with the big round room while the rest was finished by Sandy Petersen.

Edited by T-Rex

3 hours ago, Litrivin said:

All AD_79’s maps seem to be down though.

You can thank Dropbox changing how public links work for that. Will fix them tomorrow.

On 10/5/2017 at 6:24 AM, Marcaek said:

gifty is going to out-tarnsman tarnsman at this rate

Many maps for Plutonia has been submitted lately but the OP is not getting updated :/

F-Narthex suffers from certain glitches, some tutti-frutti on certain steps and three HOMs:

F-Narthex_01.png

F-Narthex_02.png

F-Narthex_03.png

F-Narthex_04.png

F-Narthex_05.png

F-Waste: tutti-frutti and one obvious misalignment:

F-Waste_01.png

F-Waste_02.png

F-Waste_03.png

F-Waste_04.png

F-Waste_05.png

F-Waste_06.png

F-Waste_07.png

Edited by Litrivin

Links for my maps have been updated.

Backwater

High Noon

The Testament

By the way, I'm going to rebuild Backwater at some point to make it feel more "Milo". I know way more about his style now than I did two years ago.

6 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Links for my maps have been updated.

Backwater

High Noon

The Testament

By the way, I'm going to rebuild Backwater at some point to make it feel more "Milo". I know way more about his style now than I did two years ago.

Where were High Noon and The Testament placed?  They've been delete off of page 1.

Nope! I don't think there will be any custom graphics, unless they plan something wacky for the TNT secret levels.