Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

Over a year has passed since I uploaded a Milo-styled map for Plutonia named Trauma to this thread, and it did poorly because I didn't really know Milo Casali's main gimmicks (special thanks to @dpstatic for giving the feedback last year). Since then, I learned more about the style and tried to make the map different from the scratch, retaining only a few of it's original places intact.

A remastered version has curves and symmetry (although I might have gone overboard with the latter).

Map number is still MAP18. I'm open to any opinions and criticism.

image.png.24eccf18ce997c1d9bfb292efd4bcabd.png

Trauma_v2.rar

Edited by DukeOfDoom

9 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

did ID make TNT Evilution? (LoL :P)

TNT: Evilution The Way Id Did Purchase It/Published It.

:P

Jokes aside, hope the 24th aniversary of Final Doom inspire some to make more maps for this project.

Hopefully this is worth an update to the thread. I want to make a Plutonia-style map. I've read the rules to submissions and have been playing Plutonia myself.

I have an idea for a map, but I want to get some sort of approval beforehand, as I don't want to make a map if it won't fit. The map would be like Hunted. Instead of one monster type, though, there would be three. The thing is, Hunted only works because the Archvile is such a unique monster, that even on its own, it provides interesting challenge. With other monsters, having only one type is usually...not all that interesting.

I figure a map focusing on mostly two monsters, Mancubi and Chaingunners, with a sprinkle of Archviles (since Plutonia loves its Viles) would fit in the project. The layout wouldn't really be a maze (at least not as much as Hunted.)

I want a direct yes or no on whether this idea would fit the project. If it does, I will go on to studying the architecture of Plutonia maps and which brother made each, then go to designing. 

Edit: I can also add some of my own comments on Plutonia designs I've noticed during my playthrough, as a help to others wanting to map, if anyone is interested.

@obake The idea sounds good on paper. Dario liked to put some unique things on his maps (an exit switch on MAP04, a fake exit on MAP31, a death exit on MAP11, monsters, one of two keys needed to exit on MAP26, a shootable switch that shows the pylons of an invisible bridge and so on), and having three type of monsters instead of just one on MAP11 would be pretty amazing.

It seems that I have not received much of a feedback on my Trauma map, so I will try to find ways to improve it once I have more free time.

Also, how about creating a Discord group for this project just in case? If that does not suit anyone, there's nothing wrong with it.

The session is over, so I am free again for the time being.

Here is a map I am planning to release after fixing some balance issues; Milo-styled.

Feel free to give me feedback if I am heading in the right direction! :)

acid_bath at 2020.12.25 23-02-46.378 [R3679].jpg

2 hours ago, Rexthedude13 said:

Any updates on this project? Has it been forgotten?

Lots of internal drama, has slowed the project to a crawl is what I was told.

Submissions are still being taken I assume? This actually seems right up my alley since I adore Final Doom and it's styles.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Please no spreading of unfounded rumours!

I'm just sayin what I was told, I'm not trying to manufacture more drama. I'd love to see this finished as much as the next person.

9 hours ago, Tarnsman said:

If "internal drama" means "we're just not working on it", then sure. Status is on-hold due to commitments to other projects.

If you need your fix of TWID stuff. Cydonia has plenty of maps from AD that follow the same brand of Plutonia ripping off IWAD maps but for DTWID maps or some Chinese company put out a Spanish version of DTWID you can check out, that also features a bunch of maps that were originally for TWID but got used there instead.

Thanks for the clarification.

Also yeah, I've been checking out both In Spain Only and Cydonia (LOVING the latter, great for that Plutonia fix). Great stuff.

3 minutes ago, Angel Of Nemesis said:

I will try to finish and fix most of the flaws and improve the level design by adding detail to the maps.

Adding detail and fixing flaws doesn't sound very TNT to me.

1 hour ago, Angel Of Nemesis said:

I collected all the maps from the remaining live links and connected them into two megawads.

I will try to finish and fix most of the flaws and improve the level design by adding detail to the maps.

Do you have permission from the authors to do that?

Hmmm. Are there any slots left, @Tarnsman? I'd like to take a crack at a map for either WAD (preferably Plutonia) now that I have 2+ years of mapping experience.

3 hours ago, Angel Of Nemesis said:

I collected all the maps from the remaining live links and connected them into two megawads.

Please do not edit people's maps without their permission.

34 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Hmmm. Are there any slots left, @Tarnsman? I'd like to take a crack at a map for either WAD (preferably Plutonia) now that I have 2+ years of mapping experience.

There are no filled slots currently. Any submission is welcome. The project is currently on hold but you are free to submit.

1 hour ago, Angel Of Nemesis said:

Why? I do like the way TNT did, I add details such as curved walls, beveled corners and just little things. Everything looks nice and not so sharp and cutting to the eye.

Don't worry, I'm doing it for myself. But if anyone expresses a desire to look at my work, I will give.

Without the author's permission(s) you would not be allowed to share it with anyone.  If it ever got out and loose on the internet, it would cause a lot of issues.

This isn't a nice thing to do really, not privately, not publicly.  It is just not ethical.

So, with Acid Bath earning a place in PRCP2, I decided to come back after a significant hiatus with another map of mine. Hope I got most of Milo-isms right; if not, I will gladly correct any errors and improve the level in terms of what's needed to be improved (balance, geometry, texturing and so on). The yellow key area got copy-pasted with alterations from the E2M6 blue key room.

Name: Prison Camp

Music: Kitchen Ace and Takin Names (might be changed in the future, see below)

IWAD: Plutonia

Style: Milo Casali

Slot: MAP04

Map overview: https://ibb.co/Vg2JhCY

Prison_Camp.zip

Edited by DukeOfDoom

Hi! If it's not a terrible faux pas, I think I'd like to withdraw my Plutonia maps (Tiger, Hardpoint, Waste, Narthex, and Stranded) and give them a more short-term release on my own, as I've replayed them recently and found I really like them. Not trying to kick this project while it's in a down period, just knowing that FDTWID is still years off from completion and there's no guarantee these maps would make the cut anyhow, I think I'd like to get them out of limbo and be able to mentally close the book on them as finished works. I feel pretty safe in the knowledge that plenty of folks around here are WAY faster and more efficient at mapping than me, and that any gaps left by me should be pretty easy to fill once this project picks up speed again. Hope that's alright! 

Hey yall! (Formerly UAC-Janitor)

I am bumping this thread because after like 6 years since my initial post on the project, I have a submission for episode 2 of TNT!

(Copying the submission format above)

Name: Sight of Impact [Working title]

Music: Default to map (Cold Subtleness?)

IWAD: TNT

Style: Myself + a few other TNT authors

Slot: MAP14

[FDTWID] Sight of impact (v0.1).rar

Testing Done:

-Tested/completed in Crispy Doom 6.0 (No additional client features, just the better resolution)

-Tested in Zandronum 3.0 

Looking for feedback on regards of difficulty, item placement/spacing, and enemy placement.

Screenies:

image.png.4e60d2ee2aaf841c78b2bf40359373a9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230717_013953.png.eb0a1ee21b0c31267a9e12adc2c904f5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230717_013927.png.8e7d6db0ca5a151a7a02050bb5786653.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230717_013829.png.b94611304332dd8ad3edb37fa6e57ab0.png