Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

[beta] Telegun

crosspost from ZDoom

"A mod so small, you could fit it inside a paper clip!"™

Inspired by projects such as Xaser's Parkour, Wildweasel's Style Mod, and Jimmy's Omega, this mod uses only ZDoom lumps like DECORATE and TEXTURES to completely revolutionize the way you play DOOM.

You have only one weapon: the Telegun. Primary fire fires some green plasma that has a very high (though monster dependent) chance to make the inflicted monsters randomly teleport to any of your portal locations (within a range of 428 units) , which are created by using altfire. Primary fire can be charged to fire spread shots to increase chances of telefragging. While primary fire doesn't use ammo, altfire does, so beware. Pretty simple. This only works on monsters, but because it requires altered monster definitions, it's not very friendly to any wads that replace/modify monsters. Also, AV replaces the two sounds the gun uses, so that's kind of silly. Oh well.

Here's a really non-telling screenshot. A video would likely be more appropriate though.
http://i.imgur.com/4eG8Ar8.png

I consider this a beta because there are still a few more things (mainly visual polish) I'd like to finish.

DOWNLOAD

requires ZDoom derivatives to work properly, obviously

Cool idea! Although I feel having a random chance to fail (and to a lesser extent having to manage ammo at all) would only get in the way of the interesting part.

Edit: hmm, in a mere few minutes I can see it plays a lot differently than I expected. It's trivial to get monsters stuck in geometry or to telefrag them, and yet at the same time Doom is a little too fast-paced for this (even with 255 pain chance on everything and infinite ammo) to be much fun, to me. Oh well. I still love the idea. :)

Very interesting concept, I'm curious how this will work on different maps. I'd like to see something like the gravity gun in doom as well. I'll test this out when I'm at my PC but I already have a feeling this will be a lot of fun to mess around with!

Phml said:

Cool idea! Although I feel having a random chance to fail (and to a lesser extent having to manage ammo at all) would only get in the way of the interesting part.

Edit: hmm, in a mere few minutes I can see it plays a lot differently than I expected. It's trivial to get monsters stuck in geometry or to telefrag them, and yet at the same time Doom is a little too fast-paced for this (even with 255 pain chance on everything and infinite ammo) to be much fun, to me. Oh well. I still love the idea. :)

hahaha. yeah. it ended up being significantly more difficult for me than I had assumed. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix stuck geometry... setting up telefrags is pretty fun though, imo. I feel like a TAS using this might be the most entertaining use of this. thanks Phml :p

I'm wondering if there's a way to fix stuck geometry...

Perhaps setting the projectile to bounce with a very low BounceFactor, so it'd lose enough velocity to stop right away but still bounce a few pixels away from the wall? (I have no idea if that'd work. Just spitballing.)

Yeah the telefrags are fun. It's just I had this initial expectation the whole thing would be about teleporting monsters into other monsters' fireballs, and didn't even think of telefrags, so it took me offguard heh.

Realistically, tping monsters into projectile trajectories is pretty tricky anyway. It does seem like the kind of thing that could be very fun with TAS, because slow motion would give you more time to react. Perhaps slowing down all the enemies as well as the player, to emulate slow motion, could have interesting results. But I suppose it can feel cheap/wrong due to the animations and such. Perhaps if it was just the projectiles that were drastically slowed down, and hitscanners could see their attacks replaced with projectiles as well... Hmm.