Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Thi4f is a goddamn trainwreck

Demonologist said:

Ingenious. How is my desire to buy something at full or discounted price affects you in particular, Mr. Entitled Lot?

I thought it was implied strongly enough, but i'll explain for the slower ones - buying shitty games at day 1 prices helps studios balance their budgets and get away with sloppy craftsmanship.

I support anything I want, and blaming me for your issues with the modern world's decline is far more foolish than my behavior.

I'm not naive enough to blame a single fool for the decay of the entire system. I can just hope my well meant advice will get through his thick skull and make the world a tiny bit better.

@ dew: Insults and immature demeanor make your bold attempts to challenge the zeitgeist look pathetic. And where - on a Doom forum? Go and preach your transhuman revelations on the streets, there you'll have much more thick skulls to grind through with your infatuated rhetoric.
Making a world better, heh... look at him, a fucking humble god hiding inside a human shell.

Bucket said:

So how many glowing reviews does the game have so far?

Just one, so far, but I think they broke the review embargo. It's some Spanish publication, and they gave it 9/10. If one is being very generous, this game deserves a 6.5/10 at most, anything more is deceitful.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/13695-first-thief-review-score-out-90100-stealth-fluid-control-esthetics-design-a.html

Demonologist said:

Go and preach your transhuman revelations on the streets, there you'll have much more thick skulls to grind through with your infatuated rhetoric. Making a world better, heh... look at him, a fucking humble god hiding inside a human shell.

What the fuck are you babbling about? You complain about other people questioning your choices, claiming that in doing so that they're attacking you, as you turn around and attack them based on something entirely off-topic. Someone's transhumanist beliefs have absolutely nothing to do with bad games or preordering them.

Demonologist said:

Insults and immature demeanor ... look pathetic.

Kettle calling the pot black.

EDIT: I showed one of my friends this thread earlier. He had a few thoughts that he wanted to share, but didn't want to register an account, so he wanted me to post it here. Here it is on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/tJkwgLrD

They better make thi5f fucking awesome so you losers can stop being bored to death and arguing about petty shit that no one should ever care about in any circumstance ever.

40oz said:

... arguing about petty shit that no one should ever care about in any circumstance ever.

But without this, what is the point of the internet?

It's a damn shame if the sound design is as bad as being described. I mean, good production values in that regard is something you can always expect from an "AAA" title regardless of how shitty the rest of the game is. The fact that the sound in the original Thief was brilliant for its time doesn't make things much better.

I wonder if we'll also get a dull reboot of the 80's Michael Mann movie with the same name.

Demonologist said:

@ dew: Insults and immature demeanor make your bold attempts to challenge the zeitgeist look pathetic. And where - on a Doom forum? Go and preach your transhuman revelations on the streets, there you'll have much more thick skulls to grind through with your infatuated rhetoric.

Good, now it's clear you're here just to be contrarian and instill your higher moral ground on this hipster horde that bashes the mainstream, but doesn't realize they've become mainstream as well.

Your rationale is ridiculous. You haven't provided any backing arguments for it except your subjective feeling about giving this piece of shit a go just because everyone shits on it. What exactly did you like about it so much? I see a game that's dancing on its once great franchise's grave.

Demonologist said:

Making a world better, heh... look at him, a fucking humble god hiding inside a human shell.

No, John. You are the SJWs.

40oz said:

With a name as stupid as thiaf I'm not in the least bit surprised.

Well, excuse me! It's wonderfully 1337, imo.

Man, my friend is going to be pissed.

That aside, I played some of the old Thief games over at my friends place and they look (and probably play) NOTHING like this bulk of failure, you have got to be kidding me if this is considered "Next Gen", the game may look "Good" graphic wise but the gameplay looks broken as all hell.

Also, why does the script writer think it is necessary to have the main character constantly talk to himself? Is he insane? I can imagine it gives away every puzzle in the game (effectively, there is no puzzle to it)

mrthejoshmon said:
[Bthe game may look "Good" graphic wise but the gameplay looks broken as all hell.[/B]

Welcome to next-gen.

Demonologist said:

I can never predict when the game gets discount, chances are that it will happen pretty late, and I like myself stocked and being able to choose options.

If the game's as big a stinker as people are suggesting, it'll be sooner rather than later and they'll probably toss in the rest of the series to sweeten the deal. However, by buying early you can at least secure a boxed copy before they're used to fuel bonfires to burn the development team at the stake.

@ Sodaholic: Calm down, it's a metaphor. And cheers to your friend, after reading such an outrageous wall of text towards my hubmle self I can only sympathize his condition. But after I've read sentence about him simply hating me - sorry, I can't take his words seriously. Hating me silently is okay, but posting driven by hate looks funny most of the time. Once again, if you see any offence in my words - there's none, I wish him the best of luck.

@ dew: At least now your post sounds not that aggressive. And what prevented you from going this way since the day one?
Let me be clear: I haven't watched all the vids I came across, but from what I've seen (including vids posted by Sodaholic, of course, I watched them at least partly) I haven't found anything truly horrible for me. I never raised my expectations too high, either. And I'm definitely not defending the thing everyone shits on, I simply can't understand why the fact that I don't cancel my preorder (MAYBE I WANNA ROB THE BANK IN THAT BONUS MISSION DAMMIT!) makes you all that hostile. Money influx from my side won't affect anything (especially considering the fact that Russian prices are lower, so in any case I pay far less that $50, and in case you haven't noticed - there was a 10% discount, so it's not a day 1 price actually), and you continue considering me an evil personified with gaming industry revolving around me and my decisions. Why so?
This game is out already anyway. If you wanna change something about its possible future legacy - you should act in a different manner. Write the developers, express your opinions on big gaming site, I don't know, but blaming me for this game getting full refund is by all means wrong. Whatever you do outside of that - I'll stay cold, opinions on this game and its developer are yours to keep or express, and I don't even intend to argue about anything in that regard.
About franchise - I already told that its usage means nothing to me. It's not the only franchise to be unneededly disturbed, I suppose it's the general lack of ideas nowadays and just an ordinary greed where the name acts as a beacon. Sad, but true. So of course previous games in the series are better, that's not even a point to discuss. I've learned to live with it.
See? No rage, no insults. Anything else I should explain or elaborate before you tear me apart?

Wasnt waiting anything tremendous from this game = nothing lost
Games today are so unpassionate, Im waiting some kind of gaming revolution or new trend setter to raise gaming industry from its stagnant slumber, I dont want to see any more generic games which all look the same. Gaming industry is like car industry of today, everyone copies each other because fear of failure is humongous if you try to do something original. Only gaming industry lacks luxury brands like cars have and its more upside down situation where indie developers can do something original because they dont have much to lose

Waffenak said:

Wasnt waiting anything tremendous from this game = nothing lost
Games today are so unpassionate, Im waiting some kind of gaming revolution or new trend setter to raise gaming industry from its stagnant slumber, I dont want to see any more generic games which all look the same. Gaming industry is like car industry of today, everyone copies each other because fear of failure is humongous if you try to do something original. Only gaming industry lacks luxury brands like cars have and its more upside down situation where indie developers can do something original because they dont have much to lose

There's a lot of exciting stuff going on. Just not in the "big budget boxed products sold at retail" space which has a disproportionate amount of mindshare in pop culture since that's all we see from traditional press and marketing. Take League of Legends for instance, it's not something you really think about but it has much more active players than any PC or console game. We just don't see ads on IGN or costly PR events for the game.

Then we have the kickstarter projects which is seeing a resurgence in classic CRPGs. And hasn't the crowdfunded space sim Star Citizen reached something like 20 million in funding by now? And outside of that we also have the emerging sandbox survival genre with games like DayZ and Rust. All of this stuff is getting bigger and bigger, but we are so used to gauging the popularity of something via the old guard of media outlets who are too complacent to do anything else than regurgitate press releases from big publishers.

GeckoYamori said:

There's a lot of exciting stuff going on. Just not in the "big budget boxed products sold at retail" space which has a disproportionate amount of mindshare in pop culture since that's all we see from traditional press and marketing. Take League of Legends for instance, it's not something you really think about but it has much more active players than any PC or console game. We just don't see ads on IGN or costly PR events for the game.

Then we have the kickstarter projects which is seeing a resurgence in classic CRPGs. And hasn't the crowdfunded space sim Star Citizen reached something like 20 million in funding by now? And outside of that we also have the emerging sandbox survival genre with games like DayZ and Rust. All of this stuff is getting bigger and bigger, but we are so used to gauging the popularity of something via the old guard of media outlets who are too complacent to do anything else than regurgitate press releases from big publishers.

Ye the kickstarters and indie developers are turn for better, but I'm still hoping that "dinosaurs" of gaming industry wake up and get their shit together. Those pencil pushers should do some in house clean up in some scale so they would get new blood

Waffenak said:

I'm still hoping that "dinosaurs" of gaming industry wake up and get their shit together.

I'm waiting for the dinosaurs to die, and not just in the gaming industry. I've no time for business models that continually recycle once-successful formulas and treat customers like paroled felons.

Membrain said:

So RPS just did a Wot I Think on Thief, and it sounds like there's some amount of enjoyment to be gotten out of it. Probably not full price-worthy, but it may be worth a buy on sale.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/

Let me list the reasons why this article is a shilling in disguise.

• Rock, Paper, Shotgun
That is all.

No really, he basically says they ruined all the uniquities of the Thief franchise but gives the game a pass anyway. I feel bad giving them the $click$.

There's a 50 minute TB showcase of the PC version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJS1yCSKlhs

And overall the impressions from the PC version is very positive. It has an extreme amount of customization. Especially in the difficulty settings, which allows you to tailor the gameplay to a degree you'd normally only expect from mods. I don't know how much of this stuff is present in the console versions.
The best news seems to be the ability to turn off the handicap mechanics, and that the game is actually designed in such a way that it's completely feasible to play without them. It's nothing like the new Elder Scrolls games which are completely designed around the compass markers and everyone just assumes you're psychic if you play without them.

GeckoYamori said:

There's a 50 minute TB showcase of the PC version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJS1yCSKlhs

And overall the impressions from the PC version is very positive. It has an extreme amount of customization. Especially in the difficulty settings, which allows you to tailor the gameplay to a degree you'd normally only expect from mods. I don't know how much of this stuff is present in the console versions.
The best news seems to be the ability to turn off the handicap mechanics, and that the game is actually designed in such a way that it's completely feasible to play without them. It's nothing like the new Elder Scrolls games which are completely designed around the compass markers and everyone just assumes you're psychic if you play without them.

Adam Sessler has also reviewed it and given it a generally positive review (3 out of 5) http://youtu.be/ny1wtt8NaiU . From the reviews/footage I've seen, it certainly doesn't seem to be as bad as some of the people in this thread are saying.

TotalBiscuit likes it. Sessler. Rock Paper Shotgun. They all like it. All like it. All like Titanfall too.

It's not nearly as bad as you say. True, it's a far cry from the original two but it's not bad. It's pretty good, problem is people were expecting more than pretty good. The levels are good, the graphics are excellent and the atmosphere is good. It's not the sequel many were expecting but it's a good game, far better than most.

Sodaholic said:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143290

The levels are often smaller than even Deadly Shadows' maps, and they're on-rails linear. The AI is even dumber than T1/2's. Freedom of movement has been scrapped for Uncharted style scripted movement, even in first person. You even enter Uncharted style third person sequences.

There is absolutely nothing redeeming about this entry. I know AAA games are often mediocre, but they're usually at least competent and polished, even if bland. EM really dropped the ball on this one, I find it impossible to believe that a human being looked at this and said "Okay, looks good to me. Let's ship it!"

Things are going backward, as technology progresses, it takes longer to make levels. Go figure.

Chances are they didn't say looks good to me, but they said, we need money. Ship it and we'll patch it when we have payroll to last us next week without going under.

Oh and since when is Thief a AAA title? I'm not sure it will sell a million. Heck what constitutes a AAA title? 100+ dev team? $100+ million budget? 5+ million copies sold?

Its great when hearing 'Uncharted style' is a negative.

To be honest, I thought Thief should stay dead now that Elder Scrolls has engulfed Thief.

Perhaps some team of indie devs should make their own version of Thief and call it 'Stealth Stealer.'

Sorry for the bump, but I think this is significant enough to justify it. There's yet another debacle surrounding this game; people's save games were getting reverted, corrupted, and generally fucked on and very closely around April 1st.

Here's what Eidos has to say:

Thanks for being patient – we’re coming back to you after much overnight work and the good news is that we’ve identified the problem and we can fix it quickly.

Basically, it’s an issue with the mathematical calculations of time-stamps from March 30th – April 2nd, which meant systems didn’t recognise the most recent time-stamp and instead took the previous time-stamp save (re-starting the level). So if you saved your game on March 30th, you may have experienced a disruption yesterday on April 1st and if you saved your game on March 31st, you may have experienced disruption yesterday April 1st and today April 2nd.

After today the calculations are accurate and there should be no other issues. We are working on a patch to ensure this doesn’t happen next year with these March/April calculations.

Also, your saved games should not be corrupted, and after today April 2nd, no one should experience this. Note: it is possible that you may need to restart the chapter you were on, but progress will then be saved as normal.

Obviously we will keep monitoring the forums for any updates from you, we’re reading what’s being posted here and once again we are very sorry for any disruption to your game.

Sounds like PR-speak for "some disgruntled coder snuck a timebomb in but we don't want to admit it so we're pretending it's a bug".

Technically speaking, all a game save should be is a preservation of the present state of the game, and all the loading routine should do is recreate that game state as accurately as possible from the given information. If real world time has no bearing on the state of the game, the date saved and/or loaded is entirely irrelevant and should not be taken into account. As far as I know, Thief 2014 isn't one of those games that has date based content easter eggs, like how Rise of the Triad 1994 gives things a Christmas theme if you play the game on December 25th. The self contained fictional world of Thief 2014 doesn't change no matter when you play the game.

It's incredibly naive to think that this wasn't intentional in some way. Extremely buggered engine behavior on and very closely around April 1st specifically and no other date doesn't strike me as a strange quirk, it sounds like deliberate sabotage. Man, as if this trainwreck of a game wasn't already suffering from enough technical and PR problems.

At this point, I declare EM to be pure garbage. Human Revolution was lightning in a bottle; literally every single thing from that developer since has been trash, and even HR had its problems. The lame cutscene takedowns and awful outsourced boss fights were an omen of bad things to come.