Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Doom musicians, what are your weapons?

What is the best program for creating Doom Midis?

Did you search for this?

Yes.

Did you get anything?

No.

i use FL Studio for every MIDI i've created. it works pretty well, and would still be doable with the free demo version, since you can export your project as a MIDI file and then continue on it again by importing it into the program. no idea if Fruity LSD is included in the demo version, though, which is necessary for making them.

the only problem i have with it is that i can't for the life of me figure out a simple way to pitch-bend notes in the piano roll...

I don't really make MIDIs anymore, though I use MIDI since it's like ubiquitous. Anyway, I use Sonar Professional 8.5 and Renoise the most. If I need to do actual MIDI work, it's in Sonar. If neither of those are available on whatever machine I happen to be in front of, I use Reaper.

Just wanted to throw in on the FL Studio suggestion. It's really good and really easy to use, once you get over how intimidating the interface can look at first.

Anvil Studio (Free-to-Play Use) to do the only thing it's good at; inserting notes. I then move on to Sekaiju for the more advanced stuff, such as midi events.
I may try out FL Studio sometime, though.

minigunner said:

Sekaiju for the more advanced stuff, such as midi events.

As a fellow Anviller...Thank you.

Doomhuntress said:

i use FL Studio for every MIDI i've created. it works pretty well, and would still be doable with the free demo version, since you can export your project as a MIDI file and then continue on it again by importing it into the program. no idea if Fruity LSD is included in the demo version, though, which is necessary for making them.

the only problem i have with it is that i can't for the life of me figure out a simple way to pitch-bend notes in the piano roll...

Don't need LSD in older versions. I'm still on FL6. As far as pitch bending on the piano roll, you need to edit the events for channel pitch

Ralphis said:

Don't need LSD in older versions. I'm still on FL6. As far as pitch bending on the piano roll, you need to edit the events for channel pitch

that's what i've been doing all the time, but it seems like such an inefficient way to pitch-bend with. when i look at other MIDIs, all the pitch-bending looks so tight. like it's an automated action you can activate whenever needed.

Doomhuntress said:

that's what i've been doing all the time, but it seems like such an inefficient way to pitch-bend with. when i look at other MIDIs, all the pitch-bending looks so tight. like it's an automated action you can activate whenever needed.

I totally agree that it's a pain in the ass. I wish you could pitch bend the same way you would on any other sound with the piano roll pitch bend note but alas

Doomhuntress said:

Ralphis said:

I totally agree that it's a pain in the ass. I wish you could pitch bend the same way you would on any other sound with the piano roll pitch bend note but alas

I don't use FL Studio to sequence MIDIs, but you should use the portamento tool for precise note bending (this tool only doesn't work when using third-party plugins; it should work well for MIDI sequencing).

Look at time 4:30 in this video.

i can't seem to get portamento to work no matter what it is i'm using, though i've been able to use it before to slide notes (not in MIDI, though). i must be doing something wrong here or forgotten how it's done.

FL Studio 10 Producer Edition, Guitar Pro 5 (because GP 6 sucks). That, and my 8-year-old Epiphone Les Paul Special II because goddammit, I want to play something, not just click and hit buttons.

Doomhuntress said:

i can't seem to get portamento to work no matter what it is i'm using, though i've been able to use it before to slide notes (not in MIDI, though). i must be doing something wrong here or forgotten how it's done.

Disclaimer: I've never used FL Studio. But...

Have you tried to do it like a synth does, where you hold one note, then press another to glide it automatically?

There's also a portamento time controller (#5, 0-127 range) specified in General MIDI. Might want to look at that. I'm guessing 127 is slowest. There is also a RPN message for control of the pitch bend range to look at.

But, if you want to use the pitch bend wheel, see if there's a way to draw it as an envelope, like in Renoise or Sonar or Reaper or Reason. Or if you really want ultra-fine-grained control of it, see if FL Studio has some way to manually edit the MIDI data. Then send an RPN message with an LSB of 0, and an MSB in the range of range 00 through 7F, with 40 being center. That takes more time, though.

Ralphis said:

It doesn't work on midi tracks, at least not in FL6

Doomhuntress said:

Sorry for the late reply guys.

You're both right. FL11 here, and the portamento tool doesn't work with MIDI. What a let down :/

By they way, Doomhuntress, it's odd that you can't get portamento to work. Which version of FL are you using? Maybe I can send you a test track with some portamentos on it so you can check how it's done.

I have to appreciate this cooperation!!! {even if I can't help right now or use my time to survey a prospective course.

Trying to automate MIDI pitch in FLStudio is just bollocks. If I'm using a synthesizer I usually resort to monophonic or legato mode with a bit of portamento and "draw" the bends with notes instead. That isn't possible with General MIDI however.

I think I'd rather use a tracker interface to compose .mid music.

That's why I like Cakewalk. If your pitch bends sound sloppy, you can manually click-and-drag them. There's nothing like flat, consistent pitch bends to soothe your OCD.