Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inkie

A Doom Junkyard?

What if there was a place where people could sort of dump unfinished wads or maps that they feel will never get around to completing, and then others with mapper's block or whatever could use those abandoned wads as scrap or just inspiration? Does such a thing exist yet?

The Marathon Community did this with there Marathon Orphanage page. When a team or individual felt they would be unable to finish a TC or Scenario, they could upload it to the site with the aims that anyone that wanted to use what they made for there own projects could. While a neat idea, it usually just ended up perpetuating new projects that would meet the same fate as the original.

Not saying things will be the same here, as Doom is vastly more popular than Marathon, so it might be a cool idea for the doom community.

I remember Job had a project where you could dump unfinished maps, but it seems to have sunk into the miasma.

Yeah, ironically the project designed to save abandoned projects has apparently been abandoned. It was called Doom Limbo if you want to look it up.

I can't imagine anything good coming from a bunch of unfinished stuff sewed together from people with different skill tiers, intentions, and design principles.

Not if they're all merged into one project but if it's used like a shared scraps folder it can do no harm and some work might find a home or inspire something new instead of rotting on a HD or being released unfinished into the archive.

For clarification, my idea was just a collection of abandoned wads and other resources for others to use, not necessarily a full fledged project building a megawad out of those resources.