Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Wii Remotes

"female officer this, female officer that." Do journalists get more revenue or something from having more comments on their articles? The way it's written seems like it's asking for someone to break the ice and say something like "this is what happens when you give a woman a gun" or something, and then a massive flame war about gun control and sexism ignites that goes on for three days.

Krispy said:

Guns don't kill people. Video games kill people.

Heh, reminds me of 90's hurrdurr politics: " Games are bad because all these school massacres happening because there exist games like DOOM " Later again with BF3 and Breivik episode for example. These keep coming like waves.

Obviously the "female officer" was an avid Doom player, and she reacted as she had done countless of times before opening doors/monster closets in Doom.

Krispy said:

Guns don't kill people. Video games kill people.

Well WoW certainly killed some Asian kids I remember.

If it would have been another way around... Isn't cop killer always worst thing than killing a civilian in US? It isnt that way in every country but situation in states in quite amusing like cops life is more meaningful than civilians life. " you are a cop killer, time to get beaten boy and electrocuted for what you did"

Waffenak said:

If it would have been another way around... Isn't cop killer always worst thing than killing a civilian in US? It isnt that way in every country but situation in states in quite amusing like cops life is more meaningful than civilians life. " you are a cop killer, time to get beaten boy and electrocuted for what you did"

This is partially justified in that a cop (or other public officials) is essentially an extension/implementor of the State's power, from which they derive their authority, so any attack on them is akin to an attack on the State. Monopoly of violence and all that.

If it wasn't that way, then a cop would just be a bozo in a funny suit and a very irritating attitude, who'd just get intimidated/beat/maimed/killed/raped at the first chance by whoever happened to be more assertive/stronger/better armed/more vicious than them (and while the police's recruiting/training policies try their best to secure the "best" of those individuals for the State's use, there are too many of them left out). Which is often what happens to "wannabe" cops, like private security guards, neighborhood watches, etc.

The same thing holds for other, less armed -but equally resented- types of officials like e.g. revenue inspectors/auditors: ever heard of anyone (in their right mind) who'd willfully attack them and drive them away "cuz they're just fuckin' clowns with a briefcase and an attitude"? If you do so, they'll come back with the entire fucking FBI and this time, they'll do more to you than auditing your books.

However, you might get away with that if you do it to a private debt collector or other kind of "revenue manager", e.g. those employed to pretend they're customers in night clubs and other establishments while in reality they are working for discographic majors, and just try to extort some "royalties" out of the owners. Those generally become marked as undesirables and only "meet" the bouncers, unless they manage to secure police/state protection for their trade, too.

But it still sounds crooked that there are diffrent levels of punishments depending:against who you violate law in some way.

Waffenak said:

But it still sounds crooked that there are diffrent levels of punishments depending:against who you violate law in some way.

It's nothing new, really: there always were people above the law and outside of the law. The latter usually were criminals who were denied any legal protection (so you could even kill them on sight with no repercussions. If you think that's medieval, just check to see until when bounties were placed on the heads of criminals in "civilized" countries).

The former usually just play with a different set of rules than common people, e.g. politicians, cops and other public officials. This is necessary so that they can perform their job, in many cases. Now, it's assumed that these "extra powers" they have (walking among people armed, being authorized to beat you or kill you if so they deem necessary etc.) come with extra responsabilities and are only assigned to "worthy", carefully screened individuals, and always within Constitutional (?) limits.

Maes said:

It's nothing new, really: there always were people above the law and outside of the law. The latter usually were criminals who were denied any legal protection (so you could even kill them on sight with no repercussions. If you think that's medieval, just check to see until when bounties were placed on the heads of criminals in "civilized" countries).

The former usually just play with a different set of rules than common people, e.g. politicians, cops and other public officials. This is necessary so that they can perform their job, in many cases. Now, it's assumed that these "extra powers" they have (walking among people armed, being authorized to beat you or kill you if so they deem necessary etc.) come with extra responsabilities and are only assigned to "worthy", carefully screened individuals, and always within Constitutional (?) limits.

But if we speak of law enforcers vs. common civilians and not law enforcers vs. pure evil criminals and how court handles those cases.

This kind of explains my attitude toward guns, in that I don't think tehy're such a great idea. I mean, she's a cop, someone who's supposed to be trained with regards to using deadly force, and yet she managed to blow some kid away because he had a video game controller in his hand. Doesn't really inspire me with confidence in terms of civilians with firearms. Don't misunderstand, I'd never actually call for guns to be banned or anything, I'm just pointing out we have way too many stories of, "Oh, he looked at me funny so I blew his brains out," or "I swear I thought the teenage girl knocking at my door because her car broke down was trying to break in and kill me."

Cops are expected to kill as many citizens as possible using the idea they had a gun, no matter how ludicrous given the actual circumstances, in order to continue to build pressure for gun control. Their obvious conclusion from their self-created dilemma is that if people weren't allowed to HAVE guns, then they wouldn't be shooting them all the time assuming they do.

The reality is that police states with militarized officers shoot even more citizens when there is no ability for self defense, no fear of potential reprisal.

Even if handguns were banned for everyone, including cops, cops would still receive better bladed or blunt weapons -and the training necessary to use them efficiently- than common citizens, just like The King's Soldiers have for centuries. Would you rather that cops raided your house in full plate armour and wielding morningstars and pikes? You can safely bet that even in that case, it would be illegal for you to own as much as a wooden club and put up any resistance.

Of course, all of the above create the dangerous precedent that if you know an armed cop is determined to use deadly force on you, then you're better off killing him first anyway, if you can. Why do you think criminals don't hesitate, if they know that the kill will increase their chances of escape? If they know that surrendering/not resisting will result in them being killed anyway (or being tortured before imprisonment), then why not taking the cop down with them?

Quasar said:

The reality is that police states with militarized officers shoot even more citizens when there is no ability for self defense, no fear of potential reprisal.

And in fact, when the shit hits the fan (see Ukraine for a recent example), suddenly people discover that cops aren't superhuman, invincible justice paladins after all, nor do they represent "the healthy part of the nation, guarding over the rest", and that if "justice" is determined by who pulls the trigger first, then everybody can claim to be equally "righteous".

am I the only person who read that he wanted to be a marine, looked at the photo and saw him sitting on the toilet drooling the words, 'full. metal. jacket.'?

darknation said:

am I the only person who read that he wanted to be a marine, looked at the photo and saw him sitting on the toilet drooling the words, 'full. metal. jacket.'?

He sounds like he would have been rejected by the armed forces and inevitably would have applied to the police academy.

Maybe cops have gotten so dumb they're eating their own children.

Maes said:

Would you rather that cops raided your house in full plate armour and wielding morningstars and pikes?

This would be awesome.

Hey, I have evidence that guns kill people. One time I left a shotgun on my front porch and it got up, started flying around and shooting people.

Also, I'm a crazy liar.

Guns kill terrorists, collateral damage kills people.