Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

There was no Olympic Games thread during the Olympic Games on Doomworld

Were you surprised that there was no Olympic Gamed thread during the Olympic Games?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Were you surprised that there was no Olympic Gamed thread during the Olympic Games?

• Yes, I couldn't believe my eyes!
    • Wtf, nobody is interested in sports here? I can't believe that.
    • Maybe it's just that nobody could figure out how to make a poll?
    • Maybe everyone was just too busy having sex with imps?

There's no Doomworld topic about WhatsApp either. And what about standing desks?! Is every Doomworlder a cave dwelling lunatic who rejects all modern technology?!?!?!?!?!?!

What, you mean it's NOT interesting to watch a bunch of skinny Kenyans and Somalis running for 10 km?!

This proves that Doomworld might just be the nerdiest community out there. Doesn't even have an army of people crazy about sports. wtf

I watched all the competitions I could, even some curling and figure skating, heh. The one sport you'll never catch me watching is short track.

Anyways, despite the awkward start, these were brilliant and beautiful Olympics. Not worth the ridiculous amount of money Putin splashed on organizing them, but that's Russia's problem.

Maes said:

What, you mean it's NOT interesting to watch a bunch of skinny Kenyans and Somalis running for 10 km?!

Not unless they're trying to outrun a pack of hyenas.

Actually:

Phobus said:

I have no interest in watching people do sports. I'd only want to participate.

This fits for my category, too.

Participate in what? Pardon my skepticism, but if you don't feel enthusiastic about the Olympics, I find it improbable you'd ever be able to make yourself compete at any decent level in any of the sports.

dew said:

Not worth the ridiculous amount of money Putin splashed on organizing them

Yeah... an attempt to think about the number of top-tier politicians getting mountains of gold and buying new cars and yachts boils the mind. Everything for the sake of questionable international image but against the needs of actual citizens.

Someone will have to make a World Cup thread this summer. The only two sports I really care about is Football and Football (American). But I'm definitely not a maniac for it like those people that paint their face, and stand almost naked in 15 degree weather. I appreciate both sports, and will be genuinely interested if its a good game. But I really don't follow them much.

dew said:

Participate in what? Pardon my skepticism, but if you don't feel enthusiastic about the Olympics, I find it improbable you'd ever be able to make yourself compete at any decent level in any of the sports.

Who said it should be competitive? Oh well, this is Olympics thread, so I am in wrong place to argue with sports fans...

dew said:

Sports with friends and exercise for self improvement - who ever said I wanted to be in big tournaments or anything? Sport, like gaming, to me is an activity, not something to watch other people do. Football, swimming, running, weights training... Even just walking long distances are all stuff I do semi-regularly and have done most of my life.

Fuck the Olympics. It's the biggest drain of money and resources a country could have thrust upon them. And the nation will never make it back. The only people who profit are broadcasters.

CorSair said:

Who said it should be competitive?

Now that's just dumb.

CorSair said:

Who said it should be competitive?

quite right. bravo sir. You win a gold medal.

Which channel broadcasts the special olympics these days anyway?

Technician said:

The only people who profit are broadcasters.

Maybe, although I think the IOC are the ones really raking in the cash. NBC reportedly pays for something like 50% of Olympic sports with their broadcast fees.

Phobus said:

Sports with friends and exercise for self improvement - who ever said I wanted to be in big tournaments or anything?

Phobus said:

I have no interest in watching people do sports. I'd only want to participate.

In a thread about the Olympics? Perhaps you should explain yourself better in the first place if you wish to talk about jogging and hobby swimming.

Sport, like gaming, to me is an activity, not something to watch other people do. Football, swimming, running, weights training... Even just walking long distances are all stuff I do semi-regularly and have done most of my life.

And I disagree with you. I've also done sports and gaming for the most of my life and yet I greatly enjoy watching the best and most proficient people show off their skills and prowess. Competition is exciting.

dew said:

In a thread about the Olympics? Perhaps you should explain yourself better in the first place if you wish to talk about jogging and hobby swimming.

This is a thread about why none of us felt the Winter Olympics worth discussing on these forums. I gave my personal take on it. Where's the problem?

Was never a sprts guy, for this time of year when there's plenty of snow outside already, I'll jus do my own winter sports, like playing TF2 next to a large window inside my warm cozy house

Phobus said:

This is a thread about why none of us felt the Winter Olympics worth discussing on these forums. I gave my personal take on it. Where's the problem?

The problem is that you made your post available for dew to read. He posts competitively too, apparently.

40oz said:

He posts competitively too, apparently.

Zing!

Seriously, Maes probably won the next dozen posting Olympics. Lost cause, dew.

I am being laughed at about competitive posting by a person with 6089 posts (2.57 posts per day) and another one with 7423 posts (2.13 posts per day). I admit a clear defeat to such heavy weights.

DWF hates sports on the whole. I've made some topics or posts about it before and mostly the few replies consisted of very witty quips about how sports suck. Considering the general population of DWF, it isn't too difficult to see why some of them probably feel that way