Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

"Iron Man" Suits (Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit [TALOS]), May Arrive in 2018

Power Armor will be a reality soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/military-39-39-iron-man-39-suit-may-141715486.html

Article said:

The first prototypes of a high-tech suit of armor to give soldiers superhuman abilities could be ready to test this summer, according to top military officials. The suits, which have drawn comparisons to the one worn by Marvel Comics superhero "Iron Man," could be delivered to special operations forces as early as June.

The Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit, or TALOS, is being developed by engineers at MIT; the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM); and researchers at other businesses and academic institutions. Prototypes of the suit, which is designed to provide protection from bullets and is equipped with a variety of sensors and cameras, are being assembled and could be ready for the military to test in June, reported Military.com.

The TALOS technology will be rigorously tested, and military personnel hope to have operational systems in the field by August 2018, according to Navy Adm. William McRaven, head of the U.S. Special Operations Command. [See video of the military's futuristic TALOS suit]

"That suit, if done correctly, will yield a revolutionary improvement in survivability and capability for special operators," McRaven said at the 25th annual Special Operations and Low-Intensity Conflict conference this week in Washington, D.C., according to Military.com.

The suit includes features such as 360-degree cameras with built-in night vision capabilities, sensors that can detect injuries and apply wound-sealing foam, and bulletproof armor.

Eventually, the TALOS systems may include full-body exoskeletons complete with screens that display information about a soldier's surroundings, according to Military.com.

The U.S. Army is developing a high-tech suit for soldiers à la "Iron Man."
The technology could give American soldiers a "huge comparative advantage over our enemies and give our warriors the protection they need," McRaven said.

Government agencies, corporations, universities and national laboratories are collaborating on the TALOS project, and the military may explore ways to distribute prize money as an incentive for others to get involved in the program, McRaven said.

"We are already seeing astounding results of this collaboration," he added.

The TALOS project began as a way to explore how technology can be used to protect special operations officers better in combat zones. "With all the advances in modern technology, I know we can do better," McRaven said.

Nothing that makes you supersoldier physically like enhanced jumping or muscular cababilities to upll from its hinges or jump on roof of a building. Still waiting for cloaking device that really works

Wow, seriously, they called a robotic suit Talos of all names? That's just as auspicious as calling a ship "Titanic".

In fact, Talos was the name of a mythological Greek bronze mechanical man/robot/golem, who patrolled and guarded the coasts of Crete. It was eventually defeated by removing a nail which represented its single failure point.

Waffenak said:

Still waiting for cloaking device that really works

A-ha! And how can you be so sure it's not already being used? ;-)

Maes said:

Wow, seriously, they called a robotic suit Talos of all names? That's just as auspicious as calling a ship "Titanic".

College is full of fucking hipsters. Soon the sciences will be dominated by people with sleeve tattoos, feathered cuts and lip rings.

Technician said:

College is full of fucking hipsters. Soon the sciences will be dominated by people with sleeve tattoos, feathered cuts and lip rings.

Back when I went, many emos immediately converted to dressing more regular after their first semester. However for some of them, it was the evolution or de-evolution of the proto-hipster.

Kontra Kommando said:

Power Armor will be a reality soon.

That's all well and good, but how long do the batteries last?

Technician said:

Awesome! When do they plan to arm the police with it?

Give it 5-10 years after military integration when larger police forces are able to buy them cheap enough and 15-20 years for most metropolitan areas and 50-60 years to become commonplace in smaller cities and wealthy rural county sheriff depts.

With that said, this is with 99% certainty yet another pie in the sky military fantasy being lauded by the press that will not ever come to fruition.

Maes said:

In fact, Talos was the name of a mythological Greek bronze mechanical man/robot/golem, who patrolled and guarded the coasts of Crete. It was eventually defeated by removing a nail which represented its single failure point.

A-ha! And how can you be so sure it's not already being used? ;-)

It's the same as every sci-fi having a solar probe or military ship named Icarus. :D

Technician said:

Awesome! When do they plan to arm the police criminal gangs with it?

FTFY. I'm sure quite a lot of street gangs and/or mercs would like to have such a toy in their arsenals.

Maes said:

FTFY. I'm sure quite a lot of street gangs and/or mercs would like to have such a toy in their arsenals.

If the cops and the gangs have them, I bet they will be available for home defense too. It would be a really bizarre sight to see; sort of like sci-fi knights.

I wonder, if this ever became affordable, will people turn to optimizing their defense (armor), over offense (fire-arms) for protection.

Edit: Although, I can see it being pretty ridiculous. If someone breaks in, will you have time to "suit up"?

Kontra Kommando said:

Edit: Although, I can see it being pretty ridiculous. If someone breaks in, will you have time to "suit up"?

What you need is a panic room. The comic book Iron Man stored his spare suits in a large steel vault that doubled as a change room.

Kontra Kommando said:

If the cops and the gangs have them, I bet they will be available for home defense too.

There are many examples of weapons that are -in theory- only legally available for military and law enforcement sales, such as this baby:

But as we know, gangs tend to overlook the "legally" part anyway.