Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

The Doomworld ghost thread

MajorRawne said:

The UFO was bobbing and weaving in an extremely erratic manner. If there were people aboard, they'd most likely have been extremely airsick, and it's hard to see how they could control the craft as it was gaining and losing height rapidly. It was following some kind of course though - it slowly and drunkenly circled once around the top of a cooling tower then headed back into the sky, where it appeared to vanish. Clouds were visible, but not near the UFO, unless there was some kind of haze in the sky. I thought it "blinked out" of view but my dad said it faded very quickly and disappeared. It was probably moving at around 20mph. It did not rapidly accelerate and did not change speed.

At a rough guess, it was around the size of a small aeroplane eg a Cessna, but it wasn't an aeroplane. It was shaped almost like a top hat except wavering around the edges, no straight curves. It was black and/or grey. There were no lights, no wings and no extrusions other than the raised, curving dome of the top hat shape.

As the object moved away from us, it appeared to change shape into an amorphous blob of the same general size. My dad said it didn't change shape but instead rolled onto its side. My sister, who was standing beside me, said it did appear to change shape and did not roll over.

It hurt to look at because it was of a totally unclassifiable shape and it did not manoeuvre like anything that could have men working in it. A man would have been totally incapacitated by its movements, which were unpredictable and strange, somehow wrong. If it was a manned aircraft, it was in serious trouble, yet somehow it managed to fly in a circle. There was something not right about it, made all the more monstrous by my mind being totally unable to even remotely compare the shape or its behaviour to anything I've seen or heard about.

And people tried to dismiss this as a helicopter? What kind of helicopter can fly around in such odd patterns without stalling or flipping over?

More about the shape: That sounds nothing like any helicopter I have ever seen/heard of and it sure as hell isn't a plane, it also can't be natural either...

It could be a weather balloon, but that would seem extremely unlikely because they don't fly like that and are not able to stay in the air on it's side...

Fuck, aliens?

Hmm I just remembered something.

I remember back in 2008, my dad was saying a story about his moms house. I'd been there of course. I wasn't really paying attention until he said something that caught my attention.

Apparently, he decided to sleep in the basement one time. And while he was sleeping he had a dream that he was walking down the basement stairs and he happened to look over at the bed. He saw himself, and when he did, he jumped and woke up.

His uncle Jimmy said he knew something odd about the place and was gonna email it to.my dad the next day, but he died in his sleep.

I always did feel a creepy vibe from that house, especially from the basement. Even with thebbright lights I felt as if I was being watched when I was alone.

Another time, 2005, I was at my uncle kevins house. I slept in the basement in a room with a door.(it had the main basemental area, a small room inside and a tool area). One time I dreamed I was walking around in the basement and this weird...figure...grabbed me.

And whenever I tried opening the door when I woke up, the door always acted as if someone or something was holding it closed.

So whaddya guys think?

MajorRawne said:

So you've been able to conclusively prove that none of it is real?

moron alert

My parents used to live in a neighborhood near Tucson Arizona before it got really populated and they said weird shit was always going on in the sky. Probably the military.

While I can't say I've ever encountered anything supernatural/paranormal I do suffer from Sleep Paralysis. That in of itself is pretty scary to me.

Here's something I've been puzzling over - why do we find the thought of things like ghosts scary? I mean, whether real or not, most ghost stories are just, "Oh, I briefly saw something weird out of the corner of my eye," or something to that effect. Strange lights, strange noises, a shadowy face, nothing more. There are virtually no stories of, say, ghosts physically harming people

I ask this because I would be afraid to see a ghost, but I can't even know why since I know rationally it probably would not hurt me (and probably is not even really a ghost).

Now, I'm afraid of aliens, too, but I know why I'm afraid of aliens. I don't wanna get probed. Yes, I realize they, too, probably aren't real, but even so, I know I don't wanna even take a chance there. But that's rational - yeah, they're scary, but it's because they do things to actually hurt you. The most a ghost is gonna do is float down a hallway and maybe moan or something. Why on Earth do we find that terrifying?

Fellowzdoomer said:

We dont expect it and ghosts can possess us.

The thing is, we DO expect it. In fact, we cause ourselves to be hyper aware of potential creepy things happening just by thinking about it; usually triggered by someone else telling us a weird story or just by simply being in a creepy place. In fact, alleged ghost encounters almost NEVER happen in a place that isn't already considered creepy; basements, attics, old or abandoned buildings. It's a evolutionary quirk that probably helped our ancestors in one way or another by keeping us alert for predators.

As for the possession part, please explain to me how something that has no physical properties can interact with something that does.

How does a yeerk control a human with no physical properties?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie center of a tootsie pop?

The world may never know!!

Well I know for a fact I'm possessed by the ghost of Aries Thölin, one of the greatest Viking warriors you've never heard of! Perhaps when my time here is done, he will return to the land of the north, and the Neo-Viking era shall begin!

I'm also a human with no physical propeties, and I'm not entirely sure how I'm typing this right now.

Eris Falling said:

Well I know for a fact I'm possessed by the ghost of Aries Thölin, one of the greatest Viking warriors you've never heard of! Perhaps when my time here is done, he will return to the land of the north, and the Neo-Viking era shall begin!

I'm also a human with no physical propeties, and I'm not entirely sure how I'm typing this right now.

Prove it.

geekmarine said:

Here's something I've been puzzling over - why do we find the thought of things like ghosts scary? I mean, whether real or not, most ghost stories are just, "Oh, I briefly saw something weird out of the corner of my eye," or something to that effect.

Scary? I always found them more intriguing than scary. Ghosts can embody a certain kind of horror, however. For example, say sentient ghosts exist in some capacity but are all cut off from each other. They are more or less forced to walk the world alone for eternity perhaps. Sure they can watch over their loved one and generations later maybe, but that all ends eventually. And then what? What World War X breaks out and wherever you are is obliterated? Everyone dies around you while standing still, and you're faced to witness the horror of it all. Sure, repeated attempts may dull you in the long run, but it's still gonna be a lonely existence. I'd say the real horror is for the ghost and not the living.

Clonehunter said:

Scary? I always found them more intriguing than scary. Ghosts can embody a certain kind of horror, however. For example, say sentient ghosts exist in some capacity but are all cut off from each other. They are more or less forced to walk the world alone for eternity perhaps. Sure they can watch over their loved one and generations later maybe, but that all ends eventually. And then what? What World War X breaks out and wherever you are is obliterated? Everyone dies around you while standing still, and you're faced to witness the horror of it all. Sure, repeated attempts may dull you in the long run, but it's still gonna be a lonely existence. I'd say the real horror is for the ghost and not the living.

Rationally, I know I should be more intrigued than scared. Rationally, I should WANT to see a ghost. And yes, rationally, if ghosts represent what to expect in the afterlife, being trapped in this world and yet unable to interact with it does stir up some existential horror. Personally, I tend to view ghosts as more of imprints on the environment than actually representations of the souls of the dead. Ghosts always seem to have a routine, always seem to ignore the world around them - so I've taken to the notion that if they are real, they're not actually spirits, but more sort of recordings.

That said, if I woke up and a ghost appeared in my room, I'd probably crap my pants in fear. Yes, I'd love to see a ghost. Yes, I'd know the ghost couldn't hurt me in any way, at least to the best of my knowledge. I mean hell, with seeing a ghost, there's a chance I could gather evidence from the encounter, and prove they're real and become famous and change the world or some bullshit like that. Even with all that, I'm still rather more happy in the knowledge that I will almost certainly not wake up to some ghastly apparition floating in my room. It's always been a funny paradox to me - that I'd love to see a ghost, hell, I grew up wanting to be a Ghostbuster, but realizing that if I ever got my wish, despite everything I know and believe, I'd be terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Fellowzdoomer said:

How does a yeerk control a human with no physical properties?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie center of a tootsie pop?

The world may never know!!

Umm, in the fiction of the Animorphs series Yeerks do indeed have physical properties: they are literally brain slugs, they are not incorporeal beings. Also you've just reminded me I need to buy some more oatmeal.

And I thought Mr. Owl has already established that it takes 3 licks. Don't you know anything?

Nomad said:

Umm, in the fiction of the Animorphs series Yeerks do indeed have physical properties: they are literally brain slugs, they are not incorporeal beings. Also you've just reminded me I need to buy some more oatmeal.

And I thought Mr. Owl has already established that it takes 3 licks. Don't you know anything?

Lol on the oatmeal part. And mr.owl took 3 licks before biting it so...

MY WHOLE LIFE IS BASED ON AN OWL AND A CHEWED UP PIECE OF GUM!! (Aka yeerk)

Electronic Voice Phenomenon. My thoughts are that the power of suggestion is very, very, very effective, and people hear what they want to hear.

geekmarine said:

Ghosts always seem to have a routine, always seem to ignore the world around them - so I've taken to the notion that if they are real, they're not actually spirits, but more sort of recordings.

Yah, I've thought of this too. Relating to stories I've heard (Surrounding my own house even), there could be sentient spirits. And maybe imprints too, again from some of my own stories. So, maybe there could be two kinds.