Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wasted

Arma virumque cano...* - Enchanced

Heeh, ONCE more about players 1, weapons 2, armours 3 and other stuff 4...

1. ...all players could have same starter abilities: speed, health and etc. During the game player can pick up/ware new weapons/armour which will change the starter abilities.

2.1. Player can hold just two types of weapon (smthng like in CS) - one SG and one HG (Small Guns: pistols, smg's, blasters, razorgauntlets ans etc.; and Heavy Guns: chainguns, rl's, railguns and etc.) with different mass -> slower and faster movement.

2.2. Energy Guns category exist. Some of this weapons can generate ammo itself (that mean you'll have to wait for recharge...). Some of them have various damage: BFG - as long as you hold the fire button then more you'll toast!!!

2.3. Movement and speed will influence on accuracy: shooting while running -> waste of ammo and derivation; stand and shoot -> headshots and etc.

2.4. It should be secondary fire mod for weapon (like in CS, not like in UT).

2.5. Reloading was in Doom (shotgun >:)...

3. Also player can ware just one type of armour, with different mass and durability -> slower and faster movement, and mass of player - he wont fly away from the distant rocket explosion and etc...

3.1. ...abilities of the new DOOM engine will manage(?) to change player view when he gets new stuff: heavy armour, space suit, gas masks, environmental suit and etc...

4. ...standart marines equepment should include medicines and enchancements:

4.1. FirstAid Kit (aka Regenerator); Adds HP...

4.2. Injecktion Squart (aka Stims); Want to be fast - loose 15-20 HP and walk like a wind... Helps to move in heavy armour...

...and additional combat items:

4.3. Bandoliers and Backpack (aka YouKnowWhat); Adds ammo, and Backpack gives you ability to hold third weapon... Of course it has influence on speed...

4.4. Termo-Optical Camouflage (aka Predator Suit); Seen the movie?...

4.5. Environmental Suit (aka Protecktor); Hang around in acid, open space, in airless areas... Its also can protect from gas and Energy weapon...

Yeah, i know it was discussed before me millions years ago, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. So what...

* for those who didnt get: thats the first sentence of Aeneas poem by P. Vergilius Maro... That mean "I sing (for/about) warrior and weapons"... SmartAss mode off...

Eahhh, i knew that... Probobly i was smthng like 874 or 47 in a queue of those boddies... Ahh, that thread is wasted...

But is thats all , what you are thinking?

wasted said:

2. Also player can ware just one type of armour, with different mass and durability -> slower and faster movement, and mass of player - he wont fly away from the distant rocket explosion and etc...

Hmmm, I like this idea. I guess it would be cool as long as it doesn't have a huge impact on the rest of the game, because ultra-slow players with 500 HP don't seem like a particularly good thing to have. More like -30% speed and +100 hp or something.

wasted said:

I hope that abilities of the new DOOM engine will manage to change the view of player when he gets new stuff: in heavy armour, in space suit, in environmental suit and etc...

Things like space helmets and gas masks would make the player feel very claustrophobic. This could be cool if it's only done once or twice - like that one map with the gas mask in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Another thing to add: some of armour wests will reduce damage from Energy weapon (plasma gun, laser things, rail gun(?)) and it can be lightweight category wests...

Due to this aspect of guns some of them may have batteries for recharge... i mean it could be no ammo for energy guns - you should wait for recharge...

Hmm, thats kinda weird to wait shooting...

I find it kinda amusing that some people come up with advanced multiplay ideas for the new Doom, despite the official statement that the new Doom will be more focused on sp.
Many of those ideas seem so "advanced" for a game where development focus lies with sp that I doubt these ideas would ever make it into the game.

Don't get me wrong, they are cool ideas, but I just can't see how id would find the time to create a kickass sp experience AND such an advanced mp part as well - now, if they created a multiplay-only add-on pack AFTER the release of "Doom 3".
Actually, I kinda hope that they do that apart from also releasing an sp add-on pack.

I guess yo'ure one of those idiots that wants doom to feel excactly like half life huh?

WELL FUCK OFF!

Doom is doom. It is NOT counterstrike. and yes, this has been discusssed 100000000000 times.

Amanichen said:

I guess yo'ure one of those idiots that wants doom to feel excactly like half life huh?

WELL FUCK OFF!

Now now, play nice before someone starts crying.

Amanichen said:

Doom is doom.

No, it isn't. Not anymore. That's the whole point of progress - if you just want Doom 3 to be Doom with shiny graphics you are wrong.

Oh, and wasted - it's in general not a good idea to radically change the title post of a thread, since it tends to fuck up the context of people's replies.

FlatHead said:

No, it isn't. Not anymore. That's the whole point of progress - if you just want Doom 3 to be Doom with shiny graphics you are wrong.

Actually, I'm not like that. I'd be seriously disappointed if it was a remake.

I just don't like dumb people who think Doom should feel like half life or CS, that's all =)

Half of the Doom 3 wish lists posted here have "HL" or "CS" contained in them. If you would have read my post you would have seen that I said "Doom is doom. It is NOT half life."

Understand?

Amanichen said:

Understand?

Yes. What I don't understand though is how, apparently, half the Doom-loving people on this forum dispise Half-Life for some reason. Granted, CS and the whole online community suffers from Retarded 12-Year Old Syndrome, but anyone in their right mind will recognise that Half-Life was very important to the evolution of FPS games... Maybe even as important as Doom was.

tuff luck, it will be more like half life than doom. They already said the enemy number won't be as high, we can assume the walking will be the typical new fps speed, and I assume they want the story to be told more or less like the way in half life. The atmosphere will be a lot better though.

Nothing can beat Doom's atmosphere, if both the sound and art assets are propertly executed. The visuals and sound code should at least guarantee a mood-dripping gameworld, wether the gameplay sucks or not.

FlatHead said:

Yes. What I don't understand though is how, apparently, half the Doom-loving people on this forum dispise Half-Life for some reason. Granted, CS and the whole online community suffers from Retarded 12-Year Old Syndrome,

Yup, that's why I hate them.

And yes I hate half life. Maybe it's because I never had fun playing the game with washed out textures, lousy sound and voice effects, very slippery walking and strafing controls, girly sounding weapons, enemies that look like they're out of some 50's scifi flick, and banal and overused plot found in many movies & games: government does experiments w/ creatures & aliens, all hell breaks loose, and they send in military to mop up.

(UAC opens up gateway and "aliens" (really hellspawn) come through, and the military is sent in to mop up.

Black Mesa research facility opens up gateway to another dimension and aliens and fucked up creatures come through, and the military is sent in to mop up.

Damn, I couldn't have seen that coming.)

Or maybe it's the community made up 90% of retarded 12 year old kids that think it's the only FPS that exists, not knowing about quake, duke nukem, doom I & II, and even wolfenstein. (Some of these people are 18 years old and have never even heard of doom or even wolfenstein).

Or maybe it's the one-hit-wonder development team that keeps milking their one and only game through a series of mods that is an attempt to gloss over a game and engine that died long ago.

And as far as doom 3 goes...

Yes it should be new, yes it should require skill, yes it should have good AI, yes it should be more scary than anything before it, yes it should have an inventory system, and realistic movement with weapons.
Yes it should involve puzzles, NPCs, and a real plot. Yes to all of that.

Yes, I want it to be more realisitic, but look at RTCW, Deus Ex, SOF, MOHAA, and other FPSs. I just don't see why Doom 3 has to be just like a game from 1997 like all the half life fanboys think.

but anyone in their right mind will recognise that Half-Life was very important to the evolution of FPS games... Maybe even as important as Doom was.

It's fair to call it evolutionary. Half life took high points of other games and combined them. Upon playing Half Life for the first time I never said "wow, this is neato," because everything had been done in other games, just not all at once. Probably the only improvement was the AI.

Half-Life really was "the next Doom" if anything can be called that. I know that personally, Half-Life certainly had the biggest effect on me of any FPS besides Doom.

Let's think:

Doom: late 1993
Half-Life: late 1998

So the next game that good should be coming out in late 2003...

As I've always said, I have Half-Life for PS2, so the things Amani is complaining about aren't really present. I happen to think that Doom 3 should have many elements of Half-Life. However, there are a few things I wish they'd do (which they won't).

Keep the enemies weak and in numbers, just like original Doom. That's what makes it a fun game. You don't have to beat at some guy for hours just to kill him, so you can tear into a group of enemies with the shotgun.
When you increase skill, it should be like Doom, where monster number increases rather than making them take more hits.

Keep the chaingun, but make it awesome (think of the newest JDOOM model).

Grenades should be RARE. I know they're fun, but they've made games way to easy by having a shitload of grenades, which allow you to hide like a wimp.

Have a cool pistol. Even in JDOOM, they pistol does the same damage, but it looks decent and has a better sound, so it's still bareable to use.

JavaGuy said:
Keep the enemies weak and in numbers, just like original Doom. That's what makes it a fun game. You don't have to beat at some guy for hours just to kill him, so you can tear into a group of enemies with the shotgun.
When you increase skill, it should be like Doom, where monster number increases rather than making them take more hits.

I may misunderstand something, but I thought that it was a given that the new Doom WONT have an awful lot of monsters on screen at the same time - however, id may find a way to work around this so that you get plenty of stuff to kill - just not all at once. At any rate, I hope "Doom 3" will be more Doom than HL in this aspect - killing stuff rather than spend too much brain power to figure out how to get to the next area.

Keep the chaingun, but make it awesome (think of the newest JDOOM model).

They had BETTER keep the chaingun AND make it awesome. The venom gun in RtCW is the best "minigun" weapon in any fps I've tried as far as functionality goes (it's not the best looking though). id should make the chaingun's firing rate as fast as technically possible - maybe slowing the rate down in multiplayer mode to avoid lag.

Grenades should be RARE. I know they're fun, but they've made games way to easy by having a shitload of grenades, which allow you to hide like a wimp.

The game should definitely not have a shitload of grenades - little is more annoying than having MORE grenades/rockets at your disposal than you can carry or will be able to carry, unless you use them exclusively (Quake 2 had this problem more than any other id game). But make them TOO rare and some people (me for instance) will have trouble deciding when's the best time to use them - that's an element from HL which I wont like in the new Doom (the rest of you are right that HL is great - to some people).

Have a cool pistol. Even in JDOOM, they pistol does the same damage, but it looks decent and has a better sound, so it's still bareable to use.

Definitely, they should make the pistol remind you of the old pistol, but still make it far better looking and make cool sounds (I have a feeling that we'll GET cool sounds. And while we're on the subject of weapon sounds, I have one wish: Make the weapon's blast sounds LOUD dammit - I recently tried the MoH:AA demo and the weapons (even the weak ones) really sounded like they could deal out some damage - RtCW's weapons sound kinda weak in comparison.

And about HL "being the next Doom": I'm sorry, but I have to vehemently disagree here. HL is nowhere NEAR the next Doom - Doom took the whole world with storm. Everyone was talking about how cool this game was - they same cannot be said about HL. Granted, Half-life was immensely popular, but not as much as Doom was.

Also, Doom surprised me a lot - I didn't expect such (at that time) "advanced" gameplay in an FPS (I had been used to Wolf3d's overly simple gameplay), Half life was more or less what I had expected to come along sooner or later - I had long imagined an fps with an evolving plotline and with NPCs to aid the player, so HL wasn't all that surprising and, dare I say, "new" as Doom was.
True, it was the first game to have these things and I must commend Valve on that, but I feel that another company would have done the same, eventually. The same cannot be said about Doom.

To dsm: Yes, these crapy ideas are for mp. Me waits that Multy-pack will be attached to the sp version (well i dont expect 2 games, get me right).

About weapon discussion: well, id will manage to create kickass weapon. The thing is, that all things (what im driving at?) happends in near/ not far future, so we should expect some new killing stuff. Yes of course RL and chaingun will present - thats the id's watermark, heh. Im agreed bout the granades...

To Amanichen: im not "one of those idiots that wants doom to feel excactly like half life", or cs. Personaly im not a big fan of those games. As you sad: "yes it should have an inventory system, and realistic movement with weapons" - Quod erat demonstrandum, huh. But you should admit that HL brought smthng new to the genere (and so RtCW, MoM:AA, SoF also did). There was original atmosphere (atmosphere of X files and 60-70's chip sci-fi movies) but not the storyline. And that makes HL pretty shity game - Doom is like neverending story to me and HL is just an another adventure...

To -Z-: Yeah, thats the thing - non of the fps games could beat the Hellish attraction of the Doom. Maybe the key to that lies in impossibility of understanding of all events happaning in game... Its like: reallity was a dream, and now its gone. Ahh, anyway...

To FlatHead: well, you can take my last finger as a apologies. Ill send them by mail, ok :P

To Linguica: Hei, that will be Doom's 10 years jubelee!!! Let me guess: 10 years later king comes back...

wasted said:

To dsm: Yes, these crapy ideas are for mp. Me waits that Multy-pack will be attached to the sp version (well i dont expect 2 games, get me right).

Point one: I never found your ideas crappy - show me where you interpreted my comment as saying "your ideas are crappy", and we'll try and make it out. I'm sorry if my comment could be interpreted in any way like that, that wasn't what I intended.

Point two: Does your last remark mean that you too hope that id will release an add-on multiplayer pack for Doom 3? My question is really: What do you mean when you say "A Multy-pack attached to the sp version"?

Ahh, dsm, that was just MY opinion about MY words (crapy is much better then f*cking and dimwitted :). Hey, just look at my nick - dont expect proud and heroic stuff from me, thats just irony >:)!!! I didnt quote your words, and i that you replies are kinda usefull stuff on the forum. So, Cheeers!!!

Bout question: well, they (id) can include full mp version (which certanly will have some difference from the sp) to the final relise. I get the point, that nowadays is easy to earn on making add-packs, but due to this i doubt that id will think much bout money. Besides, they can always create mp only add-pack (filled by new maps, skins, weapons, stuff and etc.), smthng like Doom 3: SpaceMarines Team or etc. Thats my point...

/btw, thanks to all 4 being patient...

wasted said:

To Amanichen: im not "one of those idiots that wants doom to feel excactly like half life", or cs.

Yay!

/me drops red hot poker and chainsaw.

Now since I can't get medieval on you ass, ima have to find somebody else =)

Amanichen said:

/me drops red hot poker and chainsaw.

Now since I can't get medieval on you ass, ima have to find somebody else =)

/Me delivers Usama bin Laden to Amanichen on a silver plate
>:-]

dsm said:

/Me delivers Usama bin Laden to Amanichen on a silver plate
>:-]

::sound of knives sharpening comes from amanichen's house::

...and for those who will find the second Bin Laden, we have the special prise!!! The person who will find 10 BL's, can change them for tickets to the Afganistan!!!

Half-Life is not just "another adventure" as far as I know, Wasted. In the end of the first Half-Life, you know what happens? Freeman steps into a portal taking him to the next chapter. Whether of not they've made the next part of Freeman's adventure in addition to all these other games I'm not sure of though (since I haven't taken an interest in the computer version of the game, having never played it.)

JavaGuy said:

Half-Life is not just "another adventure"... Freeman steps into a portal taking him to the next chapter...

...well, as far as i know, in Doom doomspacemarine steps into a portal to Hell itself, and there he continues solving the problem of damaged electro isolation which had been the reason to visit the Phobos... I mean, if HL story line will continue in the other dimention, wont it be slightly similar to the Doom story? So thats why is just "another" adventure compare to Doom. :P