Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zzzornbringer

convert textures PNG -> doom?

Recommended Posts

hey, by coincidence i found out that you can view .pak files with slade. excited i opened up pak0.pak from quake2 and exportet all the textures to .png. i imported them into my new .wad, created a textures lump and everything is working just fine.

however, i know you can convert the textures into a doom format. do i need to do this or can textures remain in .png format? because, i have the impressions the textures seem a bit darker in the actual game than they should be. this may due to zdoom converting textures on it's own? in doombuilder everything looks more bright (yea, i know fullbright is active) and more colorful.

Share this post


Link to post

You can convert textures into different formats in SLADE3 by selecting the textures and then selecting "Convert Gfx To". A menu will appear with the different formats and all you need to do is select the one you need.

Share this post


Link to post
zzzornbringer said:

however, i know you can convert the textures into a doom format. do i need to do this or can textures remain in .png format?

Depends. If your map is for a port that can use PNG textures, you do not need to. If you want all ports to be able to load your map, you'll have to convert to the Doom picture format.

zzzornbringer said:

because, i have the impressions the textures seem a bit darker in the actual game than they should be. this may due to zdoom converting textures on its own?

ZDoom needs images to fit in the Doom palette, so it'll convert them on the fly, yes. However, ports (and editors) with truecolor rendering, like GZDoom, will be able to display them in their actual color.

If you convert to Doom Gfx, you'll force the textures into the Doom palette at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Depends. If your map is for a port that can use PNG textures, you do not need to. If you want all ports to be able to load your map, you'll have to convert to the Doom picture format.


ZDoom needs images to fit in the Doom palette, so it'll convert them on the fly, yes. However, ports (and editors) with truecolor rendering, like GZDoom, will be able to display them in their actual color.

If you convert to Doom Gfx, you'll force the textures into the Doom palette at this point.


thanks, exactly what i needed to know.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×