Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Professor Sir

What is your most shameful Doom moment/death?

Accidental rocket jumps when trying to shoot something over a ledge using mouselook with the rocket launcher always suck. Evidently with the great power of aiming your own shots comes the great responsibility of watching where you're shooting.

The moment where you miss something very obvious and then spend a while casting around the map for whatever switch or door it is that you imagine you're meant to be looking for. Double points when you discount the area that you missed the switch, key or door in because you've "already looked there" and didn't see anything. Further bonuses for already having thoroughly cleared everything else and still going back to check. Gold-plated retirement if the map has been obviously linear up until that point...

I believe my most shameful one was not paying attention to the Cybie who was plastering everything (inb4 Maes..) in it's wake, me included, whilst I was throwing bfg's at the mass of Baron's and Pain Elementals.

joe-ilya said:

No wonder, you're using firefox. IE... heh I mean GC is better.

It turns out it was because the entire section was Post Hell'd right before my eyes.

So I was playing theJF's E4 maps today and almost killed myself by shooting a rocket point-blank into a spectre. Not a death but close enough, still felt pretty shameful.

plums said:

So I was playing theJF's E4 maps today and almost killed myself by shooting a rocket point-blank into a spectre. Not a death but close enough, still felt pretty shameful.

The moment when the doom engine decides that 1 rocket is not enough to kill a demon and you then kill yourself on the 2nd :P

Me: "Hey guys let's test this co-op WAD I've been fucking around making."
Player 2: "Sure thing, host the server."
*ten maps later*
Player 2: "This is pretty good so far, except I've started this map in a room with a door that won't open."
Player 3: "Ah, this teleport line only activates once and I need to go back that way."
Player 4: "I don't even have a player start."

I've had a few Xaser moments, but other than that, I think I remember whipping out a rocket launcher to shoot whatever was attacking me from behind, turn around and shoot, and find that a Pain Elemental had just launched a Lost Soul into my face. Actually, most of my self kills seems to be from Rocket Launcher/Lost Soul/Pain Elemental encounters. And this wasn't even E2M8!

I found myself in a compact chamber surrounded by sickly green marble walls. The air stank of sulphur and rotting meat. I found myself surrounded by four of those hulking goat monsters I encountered back on Phobos in that strange cyclopean place. But these particular creatures weren't alive, rather they were dead and crucified to the walls. Their abdomens had been torn open, rancid intestines hung like ropes from each of their viscera. The floor was slippery with tacky ichor that oozed from the corpses.

I stood there in utter horror staring at the slayed beasts. They were the mightiest of the invaders that I had encountered, what could have done that to them? I pushed it out of my mind and focused my gaze on the central pillar in the room. There was what appeared to be four buttons on each face of the pillar. Seeing as there was no obvious way out of the chamber I pushed a button, a section of the wall opened up. A draft of warm air entered the room, I peered through the opening and found myself stepping into another chamber. Through the chamber however was an exit to the outside. Shotgun at the ready I stepped out into the gulf of the unknown.

It was an immense courtyard that stretched as far as the eye could see. Vast monuments depicting eldritch abominations from another plane of existence stood tall, staring at me with their stone eyes. Even though I was profusely sweating, a cold shiver ran down my spine. A hovering orange light in the distance caught my eye. It was another one of those fiery disembodied skulls. It let out a nightmarish screech as it spotted me, and it propelled itself towards me with an unholy speed. Shouldering the shotgun I opened fire on the thing. It exploded in a shower of flame and bone shards. A thunderous boom emitted from somewhere within the courtyard, followed by what sounded like heavy machinery.

Something colossal emerged from behind one of the monuments. I was frozen in place staring at the titan in disbelief. It had a slight resemblance to those infernal goat demons from Phobos, only this creature was much larger. It was a cybernetic aberration straight out of a madman's nightmares. One leg had a metal prosthesis from the knee-down, driven by hydraulics and gears. One of it's arms ended in what appeared to be a rocket launcher, similar to the ones used by UAC dropships. It was as if the creature had ripped it right off the ship and merged with it somehow. It's massive bovine head with it's obsidian horns turned to face me, it's hateful eyes stared right into mine. It was followed by a dozen more of those floating fireskulls.

It immediately pointed it's prosthetic rocket launcher at me and fired upon my location. I dove out the way as the rockets flew past me, each rocket hitting a structure behind me in the distance. Deafening explosions caused my ears to ring. I retreated as fast as I could as the cyberdemon advanced, flaming demons skulls rained upon me. I found cover behind one of the monuments. I equipped my UAAF Rocket Launcher, there were six mini-rockets in the rotating drum. I heard the heavy footfalls of the oncoming titan, I took a deep breath and leaped out from cover to fire upon the beast. My mind was racing, my heart felt like it was going to beat it's way out of my chest. I pulled the trigger....just as a screaming demon skull hovered in the direct path of the rocket. The explosion was immense, waves of heat and pain rippled through my body sending me flying backwards.

I found myself staring up at a red sky, the footfalls of the demonic cyborg were getting closer and closer...

C30N9 said:

Punching a barrel with a berserk.

heh, that's fun if you send the barrel flying into some demon's direction.

what's also annoying: using an enemy as a shield against other monster's attacks, only to have a random projectile hit you in the face right through its death frames

(rev rocket coming through a knight, just had that)

that's rather annoying than shameful though. shameful would be getting from full health to 0 after rocketing a door frame and getting shot by zombies, or torn apart by weak enemies just because they block your way. then falling dead right on a health pack.

just happened while playing d2ino map 25... killed the cyber in the hall with the rising pillars flawlessly in 2 bfg shots.

proceeded to pump rockets into the incoming mass of imps.

blew myself up as the pillar right in front of me rose.

I was playing Stardate map04 and there's a point where there's a double switch, one with a red key side and one with yellow. I press the yellow side for fun, knowing I don't have the key, then go searching for the red or yellow key.
I do this for at least 7 minutes, thinking to myself every now and then "Ribbiks, where the fuck did you put the damn key/switch/whatever?!". I FINALLY realize a couple of minutes later I actually already had the red key. I felt really stupid after that.

First time I played the game:
Cowered from the Barons in E1M8, took forever to beat them because I hid behind the closet thing and took potshots at them through the space in between the stairs.
And then I immediately ran away at the sight of the lone baron in E2M4, you'd think I'd have learned by then that they aren't half as tough as they seem.

I strangely don't remember E2M8 at all. Must not have gotten that far back then.

Professor Sir said:

As mentioned above, what is your darkest moment of Doom? It doesn't necessarily have to be a death, but it could be.

Probably my most shameful moment is when I was playing multi-player on Dues Vult II. We were blazing through Crow's Nest, when I got side-tracked by something non-computerific. I had survived all those projectiles, only to be killed by ONE FRICKIN IMP. It still haunts me to this day.

Having just knocked out Doomdude of DWANGO renown I was in the second round of Deathmatch 95, hosted at the Microsoft campus. Spawning in the BFG corner of Map01 I charged for the connecting hallway to find it empty. When this happens, I usually immediately fire a backwards BFG "safety shot" - guarding against the eventuality of being blind-sided by a simultaneous player-spawn on the chainsaw ledge. As we, starting this round, had just swapped from DOS-Doom to Windows 95 Doom (never before seen or played by any of the contestants), I noticed my pixel-perfect timing was now off and for a split second I started to doubt my inbound trajectory to the top-of-the-steps corner, where the BFG ball connects to, triggering the lethal array of radiation rays. Sure enough, my opponent was showing no such hesitation, and flying around said corner he got the game's first frag with the usually much less successful counter-move of charging up the stairs with the 2nd BFG in hand. My invulnerability sphere was thus broken, and my game collapsed. I forget my opponent's nickname, but he was knocked out in the next round, on the way towards the Thresh vs. Merlock final...

Btw, Thresh was extremely fast at adapting to the new (admittedly inferior) Doom, and during the warmup to the final, he was already doing series of perfect rocket-180s, something I even struggled to do do in good old DOS Doom. I think I might have ran a tight game against seeded favorite Merlock, if it had ever come to that...

I'll never forget the horrible wobbly hesitation on that corner though, as silky smooth Doom gave way to Win95 emulation syrup, and the nightmarish second that followed, as I realized I was about to lose the match momentum to the cheapest BFG rush available on Map01...

I've had the unfortunate experience of opening a door, firing a few rockets inside, and then eating a rocket as the door closed right in front of me. Happens a little more often than I'd like to admit.

Accidental rocket launcher deaths are the worst but the most annoying deaths have to be when you fall into a hurt floor pit with no way of getting back up. Especially if you were nearing the end of the stage when this happens.

Oh boy...once on this survival server I accidentally killed a fellow team mate in a way I wouldn't of expected.

We cleared a good section of a map and I was messing around with some switches that I had discovered thinking they would open some rooms or something. Only to find that these were actually crushers and a team mate walked right into them.

I felt so guilty for that, even if it wasn't my fault. ='(

C30N9 said:

Punching a barrel with a berserk.

Every time I play brutal Doom this always happens to me as I think I would pick up the barrel.