Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheUltimateDoomer666

unofficial Shareware cover art?

So...I was just browsing boxed DOOM copies on sites, and came across 2 Shareware copies with rather odd (unofficial?) cover art on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Doom-South-Pacific-Software-Hard-Disk-PC-IBM-Game-/221388836084
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOOM-iD-Software-Hard-Disk-Game-PC-IBM-Cartoon-Sleeve-/221386342801

There are probably others, but I actually haven't seen those before. Normally most distributors seem to use the official DOOM art. Is it common for shareware distributors to add their own weird cover art like that? Are there other instances of shareware DOOM released with unique art?

Doomguy seems to be so very sad and embarrassed to be next to that kawaii demon.

"The most terrifying 3-D virtual reality game you've ever played!"
well, i might have been terrified if the artwork in-game looked like that!

Doomguy needs to practice better trigger discipline in that first shot. The second one looks pretty badass.

Not too surprised. Shareware distributors were free to do anything they wanted with the versions they sold; the shareware disks and CDs out there have a wife variety of appearances. I'm slightly surprised that any of them went to the trouble of making their own original artwork: seems like a lot of effort when you can just rework the official artwork.

I have this:

Doom shareware From South Pacific Software

2x Floppies in a CD jewel case

IMG_20221211_010047.jpg

IMG_20221211_010055.jpg

IMG_20221211_010120.jpg

My friend had the official Doom shareware floppies. Even at that time I made fun of him for paying for something you could download for free.

14 minutes ago, darmok said:

My friend had the official Doom shareware floppies. Even at that time I made fun of him for paying for something you could download for free.

Not everyone could access the internet to download the shareware at that time. If you didn’t have anyone who could provide you the files for free then buying the shareware from retail stores made the most sense. You had to mail-order the full game and it wasn’t until Ultimate Doom came out that you could buy the full game from retail stores unless you were playing on console. 

On 3/9/2014 at 2:18 AM, Marnetmar said:

Could have something to do with it being sold. I managed to save it though:

LMXBBj7.jpg

Genuine Licenced Official Doom Game

(do they even make any mention on the packaging that it's the shareware version and not the full game? no wonder id stopped bothering with shareware. also "virtual reality" lmfao)

14 hours ago, Fiber Wire said:

Not everyone could access the internet to download the shareware at that time. If you didn’t have anyone who could provide you the files for free then buying the shareware from retail stores made the most sense. You had to mail-order the full game and it wasn’t until Ultimate Doom came out that you could buy the full game from retail stores unless you were playing on console. 

We all had internet access and knew where to get things. Please stop talking to me like I wasn't there.

Edited by darmok

12 hours ago, darmok said:

We all had internet access and knew where to get things. Please stop talking to me like I wasn't there.

Share-of-internet-users-1604x2048.png

I'm pretty sure he's talking specifically about his friend group at the time, not everyone.

Many cover art for these shareware Doom releases almost looks like that they have nothing to do with the game at all, making it more like "Doom but the source material is never used".

On 3/8/2023 at 4:01 AM, Klear said:

I'm pretty sure he's talking specifically about his friend group at the time, not everyone.

Real geniuses on this forum

11 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Many cover art for these shareware Doom releases almost looks like that they have nothing to do with the game at all, making it more like "Doom but the source material is never used".

probably the best way to put it. 2nd best way its to say its doom from ohio lmao

On 3/7/2023 at 11:37 AM, derbias said:

IMG_20221211_010047.jpg

God damn, that cover art is snazzy. I dig it.

On 3/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, Individualised said:

(do they even make any mention on the packaging that it's the shareware version and not the full game? no wonder id stopped bothering with shareware. also "virtual reality" lmfao)

They surely must have mentioned it's shareware on the back at least.. If not, that's dirty. Clearly some random publisher likely with little to no legitimate connection to id though - there were 9999 variants of this from 9999 publishers.

Also I know it looks quaint now, but people have been wanting VR since the 70s, and Doom was one of the many giant hurdles on the decades-long path to where we are now. Calling it a "virtual reality game" back then was pretty accurate by the standards of the era!

On 3/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, darmok said:

I liked having one of the more official-looking shareware CDs even though it was easily to download online. I'm one of those weirdos who likes the tactile aspect of things though, putting the CD on the tray and all that shit - probably just due to growing up with it.

On 3/9/2014 at 6:18 AM, Marnetmar said:

Could have something to do with it being sold. I managed to save it though:

LMXBBj7.jpg

This is ultra cursed