Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Possible DB2 plugin idea

One thing that would be cool to have in DB2... a time counter for every map you're working on. The time is increasing whenever you open the map. Then you could literally see how much time you spent on each map and you could finally tell the truth when filling the "build time" field in the /idgames template.

Usually I just look at the clock on my desktop while opening DB2, (because it takes a second or two to load on my PC) and then look at it again when I say "done" and round up to the next hour.

That seems good enough doesn't it? I also have a cooking timer in my office in case I want to limit the amount of time spent mapping in one day.

I utterly love the idea of this. Often times I can't just sit down and map out a idea efficiently, as I'm pretty sporadic in my mapping.

Question is how simple of a task would this be to pull off?

Nordevai said:

Question is how simple of a task would this be to pull off?

I did some test, and it's pretty trivial, but there are limitations. Plugins get notified of certain events, like when a map is opened, closed and saved. But when a map is in the process of being closed you apparently can't let DB2 write to the .dbs file anymore. It works fine with the map saving event, but if you test your map for an hour at the end of some mapping session, this hour isn't counted.

If someone does make this plugin, I would love to see an "alarm clock" feature added to it where for the current session you can set a time and once that time has passed a message pops up telling you you're out of time. Then the map gets auto-saved and DB2 closes :p

I guess there might be some issues there if you're currently testing the map but I guess it can wait until you stop testing in that case.