Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted_Account

How do Cacodemons open doors?

joe-ilya said:

With its mop. Just like the others and doomguy himself, isn't that right? Maes?

Certainly. Beats having to step down of the BFG scooter everytime.

Maes said:

Well, either that, or Doomguy also has above average foot fine motor skills. Of course, it could just be that his BFG scooter comes with a built-in remote opening module for -almost- all UAC doors, kinda like automated highway toll payment.

So when you press the "use" button you're actually pressing the remote activation button on the scooter, and for some reason all doors in Hell are also compliant with the same communications protocol?

I find it interesting that the wooden hell doors make mechanical sounds when opening/closing just like the UAC doors.

Fits with the "former UAC door" theory.

I always just assumed there was a switch we don't see. Granted, this reminds me of when I first played Dark Forces II, my first FPS ever. The first several doors all had a visible switch which was used to open a door. Then suddenly after four switch activated doors, there's suddenly a door with no visible switch. It took me weeks to realize it opened just by using the USE key.

In a way, I'd think should almost discourage the idea of simply thinking the switch was visible to the player (Kinda like in Wolf 3D, you sorta needed to use your imagination to fill in gaps with the scenery and structure).

At least the event prepared me for Doom doors.

Gesture based interface using invisibly small arrays of wall mounted sensors. Doomguy just flips off the door and it opens. Cacodemons stick their tongue out.

Techbase doors use some sort of hit detection where touching anywhere the door opens it, so cacos merely bump them. BIGDOOR7, one of the Hell doors has a secret button in one of the skull eye sockets which activates the door.

I've always thought the doors had some motion sensor to detect someone (or something) was in front of the door and it opened automatically.

reality 2.0 said:

I've always thought the doors had some motion sensor to detect someone (or something) was in front of the door and it opened automatically.

If I recall, very few doors work like that, most of theme require you to "use" the door.

Piper Maru said:

Are there any wads that have the doors automatically open when you approach them?

Icarus

Piper Maru said:

Are there any wads that have the doors automatically open when you approach them?

This is partially irrelevant, but I know doors open automatically on the iOS port.

William Blazkowicz said:

This is partially irrelevant, but I know doors open automatically on the iOS port.

Not sure I'd like that -being able to open and close a door on command is often part of Doom's combat strategy. OK, if a mapper has gone out of his way to prevent that, and it's an element of the map itself I can accept it. But otherwise I feel that would detract from the game.

In other FPS like e.g. Quake it's not as much of a problem because the combat system is completely different, and you won't gain much by trying to keep a door closed.

I always assumed that Cacodemons just open doors with magic. Remembering that Cacodemons are basically just 'beholders' from D&D, they have plenty of magic stored in them.

Sadly, a Cacodemon's magic is entirely restricted to opening doors telepathically and spitting out fireballs. And floating, I guess.

Maes said:

Certainly. Beats having to step down of the BFG scooter everytime.

I think in the future everyone has one of those things so I think that even demons will have one of those services too, I mean... where do the zombies get their ammo from?

William Blazkowicz said:

Only if you're facing them. And even then, you can still close it manually by tapping the center of the screen, by looking away and back again, or by moving back then forward again.

Piper Maru said:

Tell me about the Scooter, Maes. Can it open doors as well?

Only if you have been a good lad this year.

Spoiler

And then Doomguy was a Scooter.

Piper Maru said:

I wonder if Cacodemons lack depth perception since they only have one eye.

Probably, unless it's some abominable fusion of two eyes within one eyeball. Still pretty useless considering how close this pair of eyes would be in relation to the size of the Cacodemon.

Why the hell am I taking this post even remotely seriously?

On a totally unrelated note, what do you think of pitch variations in Doom sounds? I prefer it when my Doomguy's grunts are pitched down, so that he sounds more butch.

For the same reason, I prefer fighting and killing monsters that have low-pitched alert sounds, and die with a satisfying, low-pitched groan.

IMO, higher pitches just make both Doomguy and the monsters sound like poofters.

Piper Maru said:

I wonder if Cacodemons lack depth perception since they only have one eye.

Visual depth perception isn't all that important when you have a built-in ultrasonic range finder.

Maes said:

Only if you have been a good lad this year.

Spoiler

And then Doomguy was a Scooter.

I've been fairly good this year, but I'll try harder.

BaronOfStuff said:

Probably, unless it's some abominable fusion of two eyes within one eyeball. Still pretty useless considering how close this pair of eyes would be in relation to the size of the Cacodemon.

Why the hell am I taking this post even remotely seriously?

See, this is why there should be a pointy stick weapon in Doom, just jab the Cacodemon in it's single eye and it'll be blind. It definitly wont be able to open doors than, because it wouldn't be able to find them.

Maes said:

On a totally unrelated note, what do you think of pitch variations in Doom sounds? I prefer it when my Doomguy's grunts are pitched down, so that he sounds more butch.

For the same reason, I prefer fighting and killing monsters that have low-pitched alert sounds, and die with a satisfying, low-pitched groan.

IMO, higher pitches just make both Doomguy and the monsters sound like poofters.

Personally, I wish the Doomguy's vocals were higher pitched.

GreyGhost said:

Visual depth perception isn't all that important when you have a built-in ultrasonic range finder.

Just have a bunch of Bats to confuse the Cacodemon.

Avoozl said:

The doors are most likely touch sensitive.

I think that's the case. Because if you are standing under the door when it's closing, it touches your head and than goes back up into the open position. I think it's a safety feature.

Piper Maru said:

I think that's the case. Because if you are standing under the door when it's closing, it touches your head and than goes back up into the open position. I think it's a safety feature.

Not only that, but they are also smart enough to tell living from dead things, so they don't bother stopping before squashing corpses into gib pressings. I wonder what they do with zombie players....

Maes said:

Not only that, but they are also smart enough to tell living from dead things, so they don't bother stopping before squashing corpses into gib pressings. I wonder what they do with zombie players....

Depends. If you have the MF_CORPSE flag on your actual object, they will turn you into gibs. This is rather comical in ports that support the chasecam.

On the other hand, being 0 height and 0 radius has some very bad effects on your ability to move around levels properly.