Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Temporary soundblocking

I'm having a brain fart. How can I have monsters blocked from sound in a location, and have the monsters able to be awoken by sound from the same location later?

If you're developing for something that doesn't share ZDoom's behavior in this regard, about the only thing you can do is teleport monsters into sectors where the player most likely already fired. As soon as they enter the sector (which is permanently tagged as having been fired in by the player), they'll wake up. Obviously, you'd need a conveyor belt or some other method of externally moving the monsters.

It could be done quite easily with a simple closed door connecting two dummy sectors and opening at a certain moment later on.

Let's say your monsters are in sector A and the player is in sector B somewhere else, and both sectors would be separated by sound-blocking lines.

First thing to do would be to create a dummy sector somewhere and join it with sector A. Then draw another dummy sector next to the first one and connect the two of them with a closed door. Have the second dummy sector joined with sector B.
Now the monsters in sector A can't be awakened because of the sound-blocking lines and the closed door ( which prevents the sound from going through, as you already know ).
Have that hidden door open whenever you feel like it, and tadaa, the monsters should react to gunfire sound from sector A.

( If this isn't clear enough, I could provide an example wad, but I don't think it's necessary )

Yep, that's what I was looking for! thank you [WH]-Wilou84!