Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Vanilla lighting sector types info

I want some info on the vanilla lighting sector types like "light blinks", etc. How do they work exactly, how does their behavior depend on the neighboring sectors, etc. Doomwiki doesn't tell much. Are there any texts explaining this stuff in high detail?

When a light blinks on and off, it's "On" lighting is the lighting you set the sector to. It's "Off" lighting is the same as any adjacent sector with the lowest lighting. If all the sectors adjacent to it are the same lighting, I think it's "off" lighting defaults to 0 or 16 or something. Almost all of the light blinking/glowing/flickering light effects work this way.

The "Light Flickers Randomly" type doesn't depend on a neighboring sector, it relates to the own sectors brightness +16.

tourniquet said:

The "Light Flickers Randomly" type doesn't depend on a neighboring sector, it relates to the own sectors brightness +16.

No. Look the secret at the start of E2M4 for an example of how it works. The off value is the same as the neighbouring sector.

The cool side effect is you can use clever sector designs to achieve different combinations of lighting effects? Neighbouring sector not at the light level you want to blink to? Just merge your light sector with one outside the map and pair that with a sector of a lower light level! I abused that badly in my NDCP map to make a whole computer maze strobe consistently. That was a bad idea in hindsight.

EDIT: I can't find a proper description of these effects anywhere. How odd! I recall the guide that came with DEU having more detailed info than I can find on any wiki now. Googling the problem already has this thread close to the top.

You can even add multiple blinking effects to a sector, by making the player run through multiple triggers, resulting in a very high blinking frequency.

Da Werecat said:

I don't remember any flickering lights in Doom 1. Only blinking lights.

i dont know about all the maps in Doom but i just checked E2M4 in DB --- no light flicker effects anywhere.

printz said:

You can even add multiple blinking effects to a sector, by making the player run through multiple triggers, resulting in a very high blinking frequency.

I haven't heard of this trick before. Cool!

printz said:

Nice trick just tried it..might possibly cause an epileptic shock for some players but quite interesting.

Ahh. Seems I was confused. The type I was thinking of was 1: light on+off randomly. That one doesn't appear in E2M4 (at least not where I thought), but does appear in E1M2 near the start. I need to play more Doom. I don't think I even noticed there was a type that acted like 17.

Thanks, that sure will be helpful. Now the only way to improve that article is to add some demonstration gifs. ;)