Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Games that time forgot

As cool as old games can be, there's no getting around the fact that many of them are too fucking hard, and doubtless have stupid parts where you get stuck and can't figure out what to do.

A game that comes to mind is Nox. Anybody have thoughts on that game?

Only just learned of that game from the tail end of Lazy Game Reviews' Boards and Blades 2 video, myself.

Speaking of Boards and Blades 2 and LGR, his review of the first one, Extreme Boards and Blades, was quite illuminating. I knew Extreme Paintbrawl was considered awful, but never really looked that close into their other products...

"practice mode" is a runnin gag from the "Extreme Rock Climbing" review he did, head games published some absolute shit (take "Extreme Bull Riding" into consideration when I say this)

Reaper978 said:

A game that comes to mind is Nox. Anybody have thoughts on that game?

It's awesome. Too bad it had to compete with Diablo, despite being a very different game at its core.

2 fantastic adventure games back in the day that barely ever get talked about anymore.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Outcast

This little-known gem from 1994:

It reeked of "HEY LOOK! INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA VIRTUAL REALITY ZOMG!" from every pore, and it was practically like a poor man's Megarace, but I recall it ran OK even on a 386 DX/40, better than Doom, for example.

In part, that was because lo-quality video playback on a fraction of the low-res VGA screen was "easier" to do than fully texture-mapped 3D (or pseudo-3D) rendering, and surprisingly it gave way superior results than those that a game-usable real-time engine could give, including Voxel Terrain, Doom's and others. The movement and speed feeing, as well as 3D depth perception were really good, too.

The art style clash between the sprite-bikes and the video-digitized terrain was striking though, and the other aspects of the game (sound, menus, random "multimedia" video clips etc.) could use some polish.