Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

GZDoom - too slow to play!

Okay, I should start by saying that I'm running a quad-core PC, only a couple years old.

I tried downloading that "Doom Anthology" that someone put together (I know, I'm terrible, hate me)... but nothing in it seems to work. When I run one of the Doom mods, I get as far as the menu; then when I try to begin the game, it's so incredibly slow that I can't even move the player. Trying to navigate back through the menus must take ten minutes; my PC slows down so much I can't even CTRL+ALT+DEL out of the game most times. I have to force restart.

What's wrong here??

If by 'The Anthology' that 'somebody put together' is referring to warez, then you for all you know you are running a virus that is eating your system alive.

Get a fresh Doom iwad from a legitimate source, then try using the latest version of GZDoom.

Also your quad core means nothing as GZDoom is not software rendered.

I think the first step for troubleshooting this would have to be uninstalling Doom Anthology and getting a fresh GZDoom install from the official site instead. It's hard to diagnose issues with an unofficial package with unknown modifications.

That's a good point.... it seems like Doom Anthology has a HELL of a lot of unnecessary modifications (different weapons, lighting, hub, etc) that could be slowing it way the hell down, and I don't know how to kill those.

It actually reminds me of a similar "all-in" edition of Duke 3D someone put together; loads of fan-made mods in one bundle, but the creator of the package built an INSANE amount of modifications into the game that slowed even basic Duke 3D to an absolute crawl.

EDIT - Eh, screw it.

Tomorrow I'm hunting down the real mods from their actual sources, and playing them that way. I've been dealing with this guy's bastard files all night with no success.