Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Tis a fun little romp in Doom 2, don't really think I can say much else about it besides this: It looks great, plays great, and feels great.

Good job. The layout could be confusing if it was bigger, but the size is perfect. 10:26 in my first try, but to be honest, I kept the last 3 or 4 minutes there trying to find the second secret (I just found the megaarmor). Very good.

Wow you can really crank these out. Liked the look and layout a lot, definitely less boxy and more free-flowing than your previous stuff. Boo to those secrets though, unless I missed something they just look like normal wall details. Also boo to those green pillars that stop you from jumping down that ledge near the one of the secrets, unless you've got a port with infinite height actors off.

FDA, I played pretty fast and recklessly and got stupidly killed a few times but made it eventually.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1248877
edit: I used the wad that was just named pmarbles.wad

FDA. I used version 1.1. I recorded in prBoom+ using complevel 2 (vanilla doom 2).

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1248894

Thoughts:

• Pretty fun. Died a whole bunch but didn't have too many problems when I started using pro Doom strats like "dodging" and "aiming".
  • I like the level theme with the lava ceiling but the texture alignment is very poor. Unpegging linedefs would have helped with this in some areas. Could use better lighting too.
  • I wasn't totally enamoured by some of the monster usage, particularly the baron, pain elemental and archvile.
  • A lot of the monsters, particularly the archvile, are best dealt with by luring them to a doorway. The archvile in particular is very difficult unless you make a noise to wake him up and lure him around the corner before lowering the wall with all the other enemies in the room.
  • I was initially thinking that ammo usage was extremely tight but was actually fine once I stopped wasting shots and used the regular shotgun when it was more appropriate to do so.
  • I like the way the level is a big loop and you can choose which way to go, as well as the fairly non-standard SSG+plasma gun combo the level has.
  • I got spooked by a door opening by itself at one point, it turns out it was a lost soul stuck in the void that made it out there when the pain elemental died. This is a problem with me using vanilla compatibility mode rather than your map.

Here's another FDA on v1.1 : http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1249280#post1249280
Short and sweet. I liked it, but yeah as others said it's too easy.

The Red skullkey trap could be more threatening - e.g. have 3 or 4 Demons / Spectres appear in sector 14 for example, so that they block the player's retreat when he tries to hide from the two Revenants guarding the key.
Don't hesitate to hurt the player a bit. :)

The hellish setting was nice and cohesive, but the overall texture alignment wasn't that great TBH. You should use the "upper unpegged" and "lower unpegged" linedef options in Doom Builder when aligning textures above and below windows, they work wonders with vertical offsets.

Cool effort.

Necroposting with a gameplay video

It was fun to go back and play a map of my own from a few years ago. I spotted a lot of things that I would have done better if I made Marbles today, but I did enjoy the map and I think I did a pretty good job of it overall.