Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Moonlight is a massive, adventure-centric map which puts the player on the surface of the moon, inside a moonbase, and in the terrible catacombs of Hell. Designed primary for single-player, but also has starts for coop and an area made specifically for deathmatch.

Requires a ZDoom port (tested with ZDoom 2.7.1 and Skulltag 98d) and OpenGL rendering and I suggest you turn on mouselook.

Special thanks to scifista42 and plums, without their help and advice this map would be so much worse off than it is.

Download v1.02https://www.pineapplemachine.com/files/doomwads/moonlite-1.02.zip / Doomworld mirror: moonlite-1.02.zip

Download v1.01: https://www.pineapplemachine.com/files/doomwads/moonlite-1.01.zip

Download v1.0: https://www.pineapplemachine.com/files/doomwads/moonlite-1.0.zip

doom%20moonlight%20gif1.gif?raw=1

Edited by meapineapple : fix broken downloads and gif

meapineapple said:

(tested with ZDoom 2.7.1 and Skulltag 98d)

You shouldn't bother testing with Skulltag, it's fallen out of use now that Zandronum has replaced it.

Good job, will check this out again to see what's new and what's not. Not going to say anything about what I liked/didn't like the first time just yet, I'm curious as to what other people will say about some things and don't want to prompt opinions.

The sound you used for the airlock gave me a bit of a start. :P It's a good concept and it's pretty neat to play, although I'd recommend you don't stay too rooted in reality when it comes to Doom mapping: id Software certainly didn't. Love the little table tennis set by the way.

I'm curious... what do you use to gif-ify your videos? I really like it haha

Marcaek said:

You shouldn't bother testing with Skulltag, it's fallen out of use now that Zandronum has replaced it.

Yeah but I like Skulltag better

Sqrrt121 said:

Can you provide a mediafire or just not a dropbox link please? No drop box link works for me.

v1.0 mirror, just for you.

Tango said:

I'm curious... what do you use to gif-ify your videos? I really like it haha

LICEcap. It's awesome.

edit: Just realized something was screwy with the scripts, the custom airlock sounds weren't playing. v1.01 fixes that. v1.02 introduces some minor difficulty tweaks.

meapineapple said:

Yeah but I like Skulltag better

There's literally no advantage to testing with it specifically though, it's an obsolete engine nobody uses anymore.

Zandronum is Skulltag; the name change happened because of a change of management (of sorts), but it's still the same port being developed by mostly the same people. Saying you prefer the latter over the former is like saying you prefer ZDoom 2.5.0 over ZDoom 2.7.1.

BUT XASER IT HAS A DIFFERENT NAME! SKULLTAG >>>> RICK ZANDORUM

Maybe she likes some stuff that was in Skulltag and that Zandonum changed. Why make fun of that?

I'm not making fun :/ There is literally no advantage to testing with a multiplayer port nobody uses anymore. If you want to test for co-op use a MP port like Zandronum or ZDaemon or something. Zandronum does everything Skulltag did but better, and even supports the old Skulltag assets if you load the "skulltag_actors.pk3" and "Skulltag_data.pk3" files, although I don't know why you would need those for testing a singleplayer map.

Skulltag is what I'm used to, that's all. It's what I was most often using back when it was still cool. Now would you quit giving me shit for what ports I like and start giving me shit for whatever about the map could use improvement?

Get fucked. I'm trying to help you realize there's no benefit to the engine you test with, not make a joke out of you.

meapineapple said:

Now would you quit giving me shit for what ports I like and start giving me shit for whatever about the map could use improvement?

No. We got used to the previous version, so why bother with improvements. Moonlight 1.01 forever.

Marcaek said:

Get fucked. I'm trying to help you realize there's no benefit to the engine you test with, not make a joke out of you.

I never said you were. There is no reason for you to be so hostile about what port I prefer. Do you think we could get back on-topic?

I played the map and it's not the worst thing, but I'd say the best parts of it are the outdoor areas. The insides are generally kinda tight, samey hallways and small boxy, rather purposeless rooms which wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many of them. They play a lot like an early Doom 1 E2 map in that there's a lot of room with 2 shotgunners, round a corner and bump into some imps etc. It seems to be very focused on switch-hunting though, I found the blue key and couldn't really tell where to go next, while finding switches that didn't do anything obvious. 3d floor usage is decent enough, and the airlocks are a cute touch. Slopes are kinda pointless imo, lots used for floor borders or short steps, should probably have been used for outdoor visuals instead.

Marcaek said:

I played the map and it's not the worst thing, but I'd say the best parts of it are the outdoor areas. The insides are generally kinda tight, samey hallways and small boxy, rather purposeless rooms which wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many of them. They play a lot like an early Doom 1 E2 map in that there's a lot of room with 2 shotgunners, round a corner and bump into some imps etc. It seems to be very focused on switch-hunting though, I found the blue key and couldn't really tell where to go next, while finding switches that didn't do anything obvious. 3d floor usage is decent enough, and the airlocks are a cute touch. Slopes are kinda pointless imo, lots used for floor borders or short steps, should probably have been used for outdoor visuals instead.

That's a little better, but you're still an asshole.

I lost interest before I got there, but just for you: I clipped to the hell section and structurally it feels just like the moonbase but with marble textures and heavier monsters for you ambushes.

Mind explaining why my opinion of your map makes me an asshole?

I've seen lots of people who play with old ZDoom versions. Also if you're playing SP then Skulltag vs. Zandronum shouldn't matter much, a map that works in ST should be assumed to work in Zan also right?

But anyhow I think maybe you guys should walk away from the computer a bit.

I don't see where me talking issue with you throwing my advice at me and being honest with how I feel about your work makes me the asshole, please elaborate.

Memfis said:

Maybe she likes some stuff that was in Skulltag and that Zandonum changed. Why make fun of that?

There technically isn't any incompatibility. As Marcaek mentioned, the "cut" Skulltag content (like maps and textures n' weapons n' such) was simply the removal of Skulltag's custom resources from the main distribution (no code cuts were made), and it can all be restored by loading skulltag_data_126.pk3 which is officially mirrored on their site. I don't expect the devs would've introduced a sneaky incompatible change at some point, though someone correct me if I'm wrong here since I haven't heard of such.

In fairness, though, the missing .pk3 download is buried on a wiki page and the Zandronum website doesn't make the reality of the one-pronged "fork" quite so clear (it really ought to use language like "a continuation of Skulltag" rather than "based on Skulltag"), so I get that this sort of confusion happens. Hence my bringing it up all the time, I suppose. :P

PLEASE STAHP ARGUING. Moonlight is a very good wad. It give that feel of an open adventure map but is still linear like DooM maps need to be. I do not see any problems with it.

Avoozl said:

Are you serious?

Non-linearity is overrated. I'd prefer linear with few optional areas over it anyday.

This all seems to be a misunderstanding, I don't think anyone here was trying to be an asshole. Marcaek was trying to offer helpful advice and a pretty genuine review, nothing more. You can move your username-skulltag.ini to your zandronum folder, rename it username-zandronum.ini and now Skulltag is literally pointless to have because you've imported your settings and it's the exact same executable with a different name, and of course with more, better updates on the way.

(though I still do keep my old Skulltag exe around. Haven't found an easier way to test ST specific stuff, gotta look around for skulltag_actors and skulltag_data just to test them with zanny, but I digress.)

Played the map. Really draggy and far, far too much crammed hallways. Not your best effort yet. The horrible colormapping on the sky and the "moon rock" texture is also pretty jarring.