Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.Gamma

Dimensions of Hell E2 - Mayan Maps!

Hi everyone!

This once was a small speedmap project, which then evolved into a semi-speedmap project, where I would make a quick layout and then take anywhere form a a day to a week for the detailing and gamelplay, well that's history now!

Dimensions of Hell is Boom compatible episodic mapset for Doom 2, that takes a whole lot of time for me to get it done because I just procastinate so much!
And now, after almost 2 years after first releasing Episode 1, I finally give you the totally hyped(not) Episode 2! Episode 2 takes you to explore the ruins of an ancient civilization (unsurprisingly) full of demons.

This has been kind of playtested, but any and every feedback regarding gameplay, bugs and ugly texturing will be greatly appreciated.

I know some of you don't download without screenshots, so have at them:

E1

Spoiler

M1:

M2

M3

M4

M5

M6

M7

E2
Spoiler

M8

M9

M10

M11

M12

M13

M14

And (finally) here is the download link:

Dimensions of Hell Episode 2

Heh, watching that was fun.
The open areas and the monster placement was deliberate so a player could choose how to fight. Also while watching I noticed some bugs which I'll fix... soonish.

I think you should use 256-bright sectors for these blue lamps btw because in software they don't look blue unless you get close enough to them.

Memfis said:

I think you should use 256-bright sectors for these blue lamps btw because in software they don't look blue unless you get close enough to them.

Which blue lamps? The ones in map 1? Or the tech lamps that are all over the wad?

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Nice little maps, gonna guess map 3 for the one that took a week.

Thanks, I'm sorry I did not see your post before, anyway, I'm glad that you liked them, and no, Map 03 only took a couple of days.

Map01 and 03 at least, maybe in some other maps too. Oh, and I'm talking about software rendering btw, maybe in OpenGL they look better but this is what I see in the sewers on map03 for example: http://i.imgur.com/dlGaEbq.png (not very nice)

Memfis said:

Map01 and 03 at least, maybe in some other maps too. Oh, and I'm talking about software rendering btw, maybe in OpenGL they look better but this is what I see in the sewers on map03 for example: http://i.imgur.com/dlGaEbq.png (not very nice)

I'm not really sure how I missed that since I tested in Prboom+.

Anyway, here is an updated link, which also fix a bug preventing 100% kills on map 5.

http://waa.ai/AMI

Not bad, pretty easy to avoid fights if you want like Memfis said but I stuck around to shoot things. I like the look of them, that texture set (a Nick Baker one?) is always nice and the layouts were good. Map 06 was my favourite, the cave was a nice change of pace and lasted just long enough, then the base area had a lot of optional areas and different paths.

Map 07 was drastically different, looks cool though the black textures are pretty noticeable in some places. I like the puzzleness for a break in the action but I didn't quite figure it out I'm afraid, I think I had to get onto that other ledge with the square but didn't manage to somehow.

Seemed like there was TONS of ammo, even from pistol starts I almost never had to think about ammo use. In continuous play I feel like I would be able to just tape the fire button down.

FDAs for AGDOH_E1a.wad. Missing map 2 because I overwrote it, oops.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1249901

Map 08 looks cool, nice change of scenery.

@Plums:

Really glad that you liked them, even if there are issues to adress.

Watching you play through Map 07 made me realize how unintuitive the puzzle is, expect a fixed version soon.
I will also remove some ammo, hopefully that will add to the challenge.
The texture set is a mix of Cage's and CC4.

Keep them FDAs coming!

I updated the wad, hopefully the changes on map 07 will make the puzzle a little easier. I also reduced ammo on maps 01 through 06, so they should be a bit more challenging now. And as a bonus I included map 08!

EDIT: So apparently I'm and idiot who does not realizes when he deletes crucial textures, so here is up-updated version:

http://waa.ai/rkK, sorry for the inconvenience guys.

AGDOH_E1c maps 7 & 8 FDAs. Well 7 isn't really an FDA I guess.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1251184

I think 7 is probably good now, it's a little hard for me to judge since I played it before and had some idea of what to do, but it went quite smoothly. I was still able to snipe some targets at a distance, but maybe it's OK like that anyhow?

Map 8 was good, a lot harder to just run through without fighting I think, and it killed me a few times though I feel like I was playing poorly. Still tons of ammo though. AV fight doesn't have much cover but I had lots of health so I just stood my ground and took the hit. Should have blocked him from coming out I guess, oh well it worked out in the end.

Liked the Mayan theme a lot, it works well and is a nice change from all portals leading to Hell.

I didn't check the other levels for ammo balance.

I always enjoy watching FDAs so keep them coming!

And don't worry about map 07, I decided to get rid of the puzzle and just have a hub level. On a side note, I'll reduce ammo on Map 08.

Hey there everyone!

Recently I was resurrected by an Archvile and decided it was about time I finished E2 of this mapset.

Some of you may have seen I posted some shots in the Post your Doom Picture Part 2 thread (And there were a lot more in part 1!), but here are they for those who didn't.

Spoiler

M8

M9

M10

M11

M12

M13

M14

So without further ado, here is the download link. I hope you guys enjoy it

Dimensions of Hell Episode 2

Oops! Download links is fixed, try downloading again.

EDIT: So, I noticed Map 01 had a missing tag and couldn't be finished! Talk about a bad first impression! Link has been updated.

It has come to my attention that the key in Map 06 takes waaaay to long to lower, to the point that it may seem like a bug, rest assured, it is not. Still I updated the map so that the yellow key takes a lot less time to lower. Same link as before, sorry for the inconvenience guys.

Hey A.Gamma! This looks pretty sweet. Don't know how I missed E1 but both episodes look great. I'll have to give this one a try!

Its good to see you're back to mapping again A.Gamma! Keep it up!

Egregor said:

Hey A.Gamma! This looks pretty sweet. Don't know how I missed E1 but both episodes look great. I'll have to give this one a try!

Hey there Egregor! Don't worry about missing E1, it was released a long time ago and I never did a whole lot to promote it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the maps and let me know of any issues they may have.

40oz said:

Its good to see you're back to mapping again A.Gamma! Keep it up!

Thanks 40oz, I stopped mapping mostly due to getting hooked on WoW (again) but I always find my way back to Doom! Hope you give these maps a whirl and let me know what you think of them.

Side note: Send some FDAs this way! I love watching people play my maps as I feel I can learn a lot about what needs fixing.

Ugh, so apparently I'm a dumb-ass and my Map 04 "fix" ended up messing some voodoo scripts, thus rendering the map unbeatable. The download link has been updated with a fixed version of the map, really sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

Hey I played your wad! It was a lot of fun, here are some demos recorded from prboom on cl9. They're not technically FDAs because I recorded over my deaths, so these are all first completion attempts :P

I played the latest version of your wad before you updated it on the 14th, so I couldn't beat MAP04. I noticed the voodoo doll script hitting a linedef type 23 when it probably meant to be 36 or 38, but I can see you fixed that now. I spotted a HOM in the last map in one of the outdoor areas. My demo shows where it is. Other than that this was a pretty fun and exciting wad to play. Great job :)

Well, that was super fun to watch! I noticed a bunch of misaligned tectures on some of the maps, also there seems to be a lot of ammo on the earlier maps so I'll reduce the amount; there's also the super anticlimatic fights in map 12 and 13. Well, seems like I have stuff to fix! Thanks for the demos 40oz, they were fun to watch. And stay tuned for the next episode, which will totally not take another 2 years to make!