Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CalmPerson

What's your favorite source port?

I would think he is referring to things like demo playback of original demos as well.

Though on the note of ZDoom compatibility, it was frustrating years ago having some levels just not work without playing with compat flags (AV maps 07 and 15 come to mind).

It works, just sometimes not on default settings. A MAPINFO lump with the right flags is a good idea these days if a vanilla/boom map is made that is susceptible to issues without the right flags set.

I do remember reading a really silly review for Alien Vendetta calling it broken on those two maps.. lol.

Sodaholic said:

I don't think he means compatible in that sense, of course it can run content designed for the vanilla engine. I think he meant demo-compatible, in which case ZDoom and the like isn't.

Here's the problem: Please say what you mean and do not use too broad terms... :P

Sodaholic said:

I think he meant demo-compatible, in which case ZDoom and the like isn't.

This and I really wouldn't play any vanilla wad with Zdoom (anymore that is) since it just doesn't have that feel that source ports like Prboom-plus, Eternity, and Chocolate Doom have.

TendaMonsta said:

This and I really wouldn't play any vanilla wad with Zdoom (anymore that is) since it just doesn't have that feel that source ports like Prboom-plus, Eternity, and Chocolate Doom have.

Unless you're talking about the framerate, I don't really understand what you mean about 'feel'.

MochaDoom, because it's fun to change random things in the code, click the "Run" button, and get it recompiled and running in a couple seconds.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:49 AM, DepravedDiptera said:

KBDoom.

Wow, thanks! Quite an endorsement without anything to see. KBDoom is my favorite, cause it's a product of my blood, sweat, and tears, as they say.

Otherwise, I find all ports interesting. The community, the ports, the PWADs, and Doom itself has become a source of massive depth. The nuances of gameplay, the infinite places to explore via PWADs, the rich set of capabilities of today's ports, the vast info contained in the DoomWiki. The map and WAD editors, the special programs that build map, colormap, image, and sound resources. GL rendering. 3D floors, portals. It's unbelievable. To become even partially fluent in all of it literally takes years.

Even the original Doom.exe and Doom.wad are unbelievable feats. The original commands DOS to switch to 32-bit mode, and switches back to 16-bit mode temporarily to read files, then switches back to 32-bit protected mode, and the game continues.

The speed at which the Id Software guys built Doom defies logic. I don't think many people can appreciate how amazing it really is. That's why I love all source ports. I tip my hat to anyone who dives in and takes control, and builds new versions of this masterful game. It's only going to get better and better.