Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Texture request - Alternate Icon.

Are there any decent alternate Icon of Sin textures around? I need something a little different for a wad I'm currently working on.

Zone 300 has Icon of Sin in inverted grayscale, ala the invulnerability powerup palette effect. That's the only one I know about.

Yeah, I've seen that one. I wish I'd thought of it first. :P The best one I can think of is Plutonia 2's Gatewatcher, but there's no way in heck I'm just going to rip that one off.

Are you looking for anything in particular, or just any big demonic face on a wall that offers some variety?

Pretty much a big demonic face. I want it to look stronger than the original Icon though, that's kind of important.

EDIT: Every avatar in this thread is spinning. It's weird.

Heh, a thread of rotating avatars! :)

(sorry for this off-topic remark)

EDIT: You said it.

Obsidian, I haven't said it before but I've always thought of us as spinning skull buddies :>

Here's a goat skull from wikipedia: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pagan_Alter_Goat_Skull.jpg
If I cut that out and doomified it a bit, would that work? What kind of background are you after?

There's a couple of other cool images on google image search but I'm not one to borrow things without permission.

edit: This one's CC licensed, it could work?
http://breeshio.deviantart.com/art/Evil-Goat-Skull-391872033

The Spinning Skulls? Sounds like a punk band. :P

The DeviantArt one is pretty cool, the curved horns definitely set it apart from the original Icon. If you can Doomify that, I'd be extremely grateful.

Sure, I'll give it a go tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it before then.

e: do you want it to fit the 768x384 size of the normal icon, or just whatever size works best?

Where I'm at so far:

it's 768x640, or 3x5 in 256x128 textures. (I guess I could have made it five 768x128 textures, maybe I'll do that for the next one.)

Here's some shots in-game (ignore the black seams, I didn't chop it properly).

It does look kind of ugly right now but it would help to know how you are using it, and if this is the right direction at all before I work more on it. Should it be transparent instead of a black background? Different size? Different colours? etc.

What do you think about the glowing bits on the horns? It might look better without IMHO. Maybe even lose all the glow except on the eyes. It would make it look less like a static image that way I think. The lensflare crud on the nose should go for sure.

Here's the wad if you want to play with it:
https://www.mediafire.com/?rb0q74scb9jtcbl

Very nice! It's definitely a good idea to eliminate the glow around the horns. I'd probably recommend you leave the black background for the time being, I'm not sure exactly how to use it yet. Plus it means less work for you. :) Thanks heaps man.

Welcome! The black background is on a separate layer, so taking it out is literally two mouse clicks. But that's fine, I'll leave it for now anyhow. Will take out some of the glow and see how it looks.

Current revision, I think it looks pretty good. Still a little out-of-place next to Doom textures - it's obvious it's based on a photo, still - but not bad anyhow. Got a little redder. More changes are certainly possible, if you want them.

Wad here, no map this time, textures are zicon2-1 through zicon2-5
https://www.mediafire.com/?92ru9q2b1i0ahxo

Make sure you credit and link to the original artwork in the textfile!

edit: Looking at it here and comparing to the original IoS, I think it might be better with a proper mouth. I can't draw one but maybe I can find another image to combine it with.

All right, now we're cooking with Hellfire. The teeth look a little low-res compared to the horns, should be improvable though.

(sorry for triple post)

To be honest, I don't mind at all considering the content. =D The teeth make it look a little doglike, but I'm sure that can be improved.

Obsidian said:

The teeth make it look a little doglike, but I'm sure that can be improved.

Hmm.. you're right, but I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. It's more than the teeth, the whole facial structure is sort of dog-shaped now with that jaw. Taking the outer fangs out doesn't seem to help, maybe if I take out the ones coming from the lower jaw somehow.

Personally I dig the second on a bit more: it's not as creepy as the original Icon, but it does have a majesty to it and it'll make a pretty epic boss. If you have any more revisions you'd like to do I'll certainly be interested in them, but I can use the second one if you don't feel like working on this.

Well I'm done for today at least. Maybe I'll let it simmer for a few days, and if you finish the level before I get any better ideas I'll just consider it done ;)