Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MegaTurtleRex

Brutal Doom: Transparent Corpses in GZDoom

Hey guys. I tried asking on ModDB some time ago but couldn't solve the issue. It seems that for me and at least some other people corpses are transparent at some angles causing blood to clip through them.

The FAQ suggests using the Smooth Sprite Edges options, but neither settings available for that have any effect on the bug.

Any GZDoom gurus have an idea? :\

Hm, I don't really know how BD makes its blood splatters, but if they're just sprites then there's probably not much you can do. Hopefully someone with more familiarity with BD will chime in...

Hmm, I'm sure it only happens with the new version of BD but Sarge removed the download of old versions so I can't test this.

It doesn't happen if you play with Zandronum but I don't really like that engine, GZDoom has a better mouse feel and smoother performance for me.

First thing you need to know is what causes this bug. This is caused by a recent update on GZDoom render, not by BD itself, so, no, changing your BD version won't fix it.

What happens is: The blood splatters are flat 3D models with a blood texture on it, and somehow, the engine fails to notice that they are flat 3D models, and when a blood spot is rendered in front of a model, the render fails to notice it, and renders the whole model over the sprite unlike Zandronum's render which is able to tell that the model is shorter than the sprite, and should be rendered under it.

If you don't want to play with Zandronum, then the best thing to do is to downgrade your version of GZdoom (to some version released around 2011), or if you have enough patience, register at the GZdoom forum, report this bug, and pray for Graf to fix it (3D models-related stuff was never one of GZDoom devs priorities).

Ah so it wasn't BD after all. Thanks for the info, I'll try and hunt down an older version of GZDoom :)

Edit: Unfortunately the problem is still there with 1.0.7 series of GZDoom and with GZDoom 1.0.6 series BD doesn't run dues to some Decorate error regarding the command Serverside.

Buuut, it's not a big bug and Zandronum doesn't have the issue, so thanks for the info and great mod :)