Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Free Condom Dispensers at HS

Chicago schools will now have machines to dispense free condoms! This is nothing new. Well the machines giving them out is new, but not high schools giving out free condoms.

My uncle with a daughter gave some advice to my cousin with 4 daughters. Get them birth control or the depo shot my uncle said. My cousin argued, I've talked to them not to have sex. My uncle told her, your mother did that with you and your 3 sisters, what did it get? All 4 of you, teenage pregnancies.

What are your thoughts on giving teens birth control? Some see it as a free ticket to have sex. Others see it as they'll have sex anyway, don't have babies.

Its a very good thing because dispensers are more convenient than having to go all the way to the nurses office to get a condom. Giving teens birth control will also prevent teen pregnancies or STD's since some teens are gonna have sex anyways.

geo said:

Some see it as a free ticket to have sex.

Living in any Western naiton is already that, pretty much. Only personal clumsiness/nerdiness/unattractiveness/personal choice can act as an inhibitor/deterrent from then on.

I remember an experiment like that which was aborted quickly after some of the kids decided to use all the free condoms from the dispensers to make water bombs.

The dispensers were back a few months later, now coin-operated.

This reminds me off when I went to Warped tour last year and there was a Trojan tent out by the stages in the parking lot. There ended up being a bunch of condoms inflated like balloons bouncing off the crowd like beach balls. I would have hated to go crowd surfing through that to have gotten hit with one of them and ended up with lube all over me.

It seems that "free ticket for sex" is not the main reason for those machines being "hazardous". A condom is a vital element of a homemade bomb! :D

And over here in Finland we have to pay at least €0.50 to even get a single condom...

Doominator2 said:

Giving teens birth control will also prevent teen pregnancies or STD's since some teens are gonna have sex anyways.

I find this logic to be very questionable. If you are willing to have sex without protection then it means you are not a responsible person. You need to be a resposinble person in order to use protection regardless of how easy or not easy it is to obtain said protection. So why should a person that is willing to have sex without a condom suddenly change just because there are condom vending machines around? My younger sister's friend got knocked up some time ago because of unsafe sex, and yet condoms are not hard to get in my country.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of some ultra-conservative policy towards sex, but I honestly think that the "easy access to condoms makes teens more responsible" is a crack of shit. Its not a lack of condoms that makes teenagers behave stupid, its stupid teenagers that do stupid things. With or without condoms.

But even if this were not the case, condoms aren't some vital medicine anyways. Not being able to buy condoms is no different then not being able to buy yourself a nice beer. It's a consumer product, and it should be treated as such.

hardcore_gamer said:

So why should a person that is willing to have sex without a condom suddenly change just because there are condom vending machines around?

Because there can be a negative stigma of a younger person buying condoms in witness of an older individual (cashier or whatever), and stupid shit like that tends to matter to teenagers?

I think most teens have sex without protection not because it's "cool" or whatever, but because they just don't have that protection on them. When you make it less "awkward" for teens to obtain a condom, they'll be more likely to obtain it, and then use it, now that they actually have it.

Anything they give away for free or cheap is a trojan horse, in this case literally a Trojan horse. The soda is cheaper than water since it has high fructose corn syrup and a cocktail of soft kill weapons designed so the medical tyranny can leech off you 30 years later, the obama phones are free because they are used for NSA surveillance, etc. Free condoms probably means they're coated on the outside with hyper weaponized STDs to kill off a large chunk of the population to pave way for singularity robots.

gggmork said:

Anything they give away for free or cheap is a trojan horse, in this case literally a Trojan horse. The soda is cheaper than water since it has high fructose corn syrup and a cocktail of soft kill weapons designed so the medical tyranny can leech off you 30 years later, the obama phones are free because they are used for NSA surveillance, etc. Free condoms probably means they're coated on the outside with hyper weaponized STDs to kill off a large chunk of the population to pave way for singularity robots.

What the hell are 'obama phones'

gggmork said:

Free condoms probably means they're coated on the outside with hyper weaponized STDs to kill off a large chunk of the population to pave way for singularity robots.

I chuckled, but I advise you not to do drugs anymore :D

flubbernugget said:

I think most teens have sex without protection not because it's "cool" or whatever, but because they just don't have that protection on them. When you make it less "awkward" for teens to obtain a condom, they'll be more likely to obtain it, and then use it, now that they actually have it.

I don't think so. If you don't have a condom on you, and your reaction is "oh well, could just as well have sex anyways" then that person won't go out of his way to find condoms even if they can be obtained legally. Like I said, stupid people will be stupid with or without access to free condoms. I also think the claim that teenagers will have sex with or without condoms is rubbish as well. Sure, there will always be a minority that is dumb enough to have sex without condoms, but most are at least smart enough to understand that sex without protection results in a baby. Its just the dumb minority that actually has sex without condoms, and that dumb minority will continue to be dumb even if access to condoms exists.

hardcore_gamer said:

I find this logic to be very questionable.

Yeah, going by your gut feeling because you "just know" is a better way of looking at things rather than actual facts and statistics. Giving people, particularly teens but everyone as well, easy access to contraceptives in addition to sex education drastically reduces birth rates and std transmission, end of story.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6102a1.htm?s_cid=mm6102a1_e

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/01/1640851/states-teen-pregnancy-rates/

http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_SE.pdf

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/02/11/1568311/teen-birth-rates-plunge/

Quast said:

Yeah, going by your gut feeling because you "just know" is a better way of looking at things rather than actual facts and statistics.

Hey, if this approach is good enough for the IMF, it's good enough for everybody. Besides, everyone knows that facts and statistics are a liberal conspiracy. The real truth of the world is in the Holy Bible/Koran/Talmud/Mao Zhuxi Yulu, as handed down from God himself, and anything else is a lie propagated by godless heathens. Even, and especially reality.

rf` said:

What the hell are 'obama phones'

Phones from the Government. Poor Black People use them, because they need their money for the vital stuff, like weed and crack cocaine. Because everyone is entitled to a phone.

I think its a great idea to give kids free condoms. Obviously most will not abstain, so social-conservatives need to shut the fuck up. They complain that there is a gay agenda, yet they want young heterosexuals to not have sex. Then they complain that poor people are having too many babies, but claim birth control is satanic.

Clonehunter said:

Phones from the Government. Poor Black People use them, because they need their money for the vital stuff, like weed and crack cocaine. Because everyone is entitled to a phone.

Obvious alert: you are the worst kind of troll. Just try getting a job in today's economy without owning a phone.

hardcore_gamer said:

I don't think so. If you don't have a condom on you, and your reaction is "oh well, could just as well have sex anyways" then that person won't go out of his way to find condoms even if they can be obtained legally. Like I said, stupid people will be stupid with or without access to free condoms. I also think the claim that teenagers will have sex with or without condoms is rubbish as well. Sure, there will always be a minority that is dumb enough to have sex without condoms, but most are at least smart enough to understand that sex without protection results in a baby. Its just the dumb minority that actually has sex without condoms, and that dumb minority will continue to be dumb even if access to condoms exists.

I think you're thinking too much in binary terms. Yes, we certainly need better education to make sure that teenagers understand the implications of having sex, the dangers of disease, unwanted pregnancy, etc. I think that's really important.

However, the right wing attitude is that "we shouldn't give condoms to teenagers or it'll encourage them to have sex". With that kind of attitude and policy in place, it's not necessarily a matter of a "dumb minority" who doesn't know what they're doing; responsible teenagers who want to have safe sex might be unable to. You have to also bear in mind issues like social stigma etc. which are arguably just as big a problem in deterring the use of birth controls. Teenagers will have sex, and if condoms aren't available, they'll potentially try other methods (like the pull-out method) which aren't anywhere near as effective.

Ideally there ought to just be a way to get condoms anonymously (such as a dispenser in every school in a location that isn't monitored), combined with effective, thorough sex education that explains all of the potential issues. Unfortunately many people can't seem to get beyond the "don't want to acknowledge that teenagers are having sex" problem.

The only odd thing about all this is that they're free. I guess teenagers are that poor.

Condoms are better at preventing STDs than preventing pregnancy. So, I applaud the wide dissemination of condoms. Let people hump like rabbits for all I care. They did it during the 1960s.

printz said:

The only odd thing about all this is that they're free. I guess teenagers are that poor.

I don't know why you think that's of or unusual; it's a fairly common thing. Compare government spending on free condoms vs. welfare spending on teenage mothers + health spending on STDs. Order of magnitude cheaper.

Quast said:

Yeah, going by your gut feeling because you "just know" is a better way of looking at things rather than actual facts and statistics. Giving people, particularly teens but everyone as well, easy access to contraceptives in addition to sex education drastically reduces birth rates and std transmission, end of story.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6102a1.htm?s_cid=mm6102a1_e

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/01/1640851/states-teen-pregnancy-rates/

http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_SE.pdf

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/02/11/1568311/teen-birth-rates-plunge/

All of those links come from liberal sources. I could just as easily find other sources from conservatives saying that it doesn't.

Also, perhaps I am in the minority here, but I am of the view that if people behave stupid then they should be left to deal with their own bullshit. If a teenager doesn't use a condom and get's an STD, then boo-hu fucking boo. That's what happens when you are not responsible. It's the same reason for why I don't feel that people who are alcoholics should be able to get welfare. I honestly don't give even a single shit if these people kill them self's. They have nobody to blame but them self's.

fraggle said:

government spending on free condoms vs. welfare spending on teenage mothers + health spending on STDs. Order of magnitude cheaper.

Then don't make the state's welfare pay for those things. Leave people to deal with the results of their stupid, stupid choices in life.

hardcore_gamer said:

All of those links come from liberal sources. I could just as easily find other sources from conservatives saying that it doesn't.

The idea of a liberal bias in academia and journalism has been invented by conservatives tired of being demonstrated wrong all the time, so they ended up creating their own sources, untainted by scientific rigor and peer review. They balance scholars with think tanks, lobbies, and churches. End result is that "liberal sources" are serious and reliable, while conservative sources are bullshit.

Also the CDC is an official governmental agency of the USA.

hardcore_gamer said:

Then don't make the state's welfare pay for those things. Leave people to deal with the results of their stupid, stupid choices in life.

There is, in a democracy, no difference between the state and the people. What's paid by the state is paid by the people; what's paid by the people is paid by the state.

Gez said:

There is, in a democracy, no difference between the state and the people. What's paid by the state is paid by the people; what's paid by the people is paid by the state.

Uhm, except that people who live mostly on benefits don't contribute to the government's profit in the first place and thus they are basically just getting a free ride, so your argument doesn't hold up. People on benefits probably still pay a good amount of taxes when they spend their money, but they are paying those taxes with money that the government gave them in the first place, so the government loses money to them. This means that when somebody gets lots of benefits for being stupid, other people in society are paying for it with their own cash. Doesn't sound fair to me.

Now they have just have to introduce to Africa and other 3rd world areas in larger quantities with sexual and birth control education to stop the damn over population there.

hardcore_gamer said:

i hate people and want them to hurry up and die already

Who fucking cares? Condoms are probably pretty cheap to make, and it solves a lot of societal problems. If you're against social safety nets in general, why don't you go visit some shithole like Somalia? The people there live healthy, productive lives, where absolutely nothing ever goes wrong, guaranteed.