Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Most annoying monsters in doom?

Mancubi and Barons, as I find their ammo sponginess, coupled with the fact they're not all that difficult to fight, thus I hate wasting ammo on them.

PRIMEVAL said:

Revenants... homing 80 HP damage missiles... no thank you.

This.

Fucking revenants, I also hate lost souls and chaingunners.

Quite a common thread subject...

For me, pain elementals are mostly annoying in large open areas.
Barons for being a fucking strong meatshields.

IMX said:

SS Nazis. No, really. Also any Stealth ZDoom monsters.

Forgot about Nazis. Never really counted them because they never show up anywhere outside the secret levels as far as I know, but the bullets to kill/bullet drop ratio never seemed fair. If I'm thinking that straight. The only real way to beat the Wolfenstein level from a pistol start is too more or less know where all the weapons are stashed and be very conservative with ammo. That could just be a facet of level design, though.

Lost souls, period. Annoying like getting shit flung into your face.

Revenants at least can be dodged, which can be more interesting than against straight flying projectiles. Arch viles: facing them gives you that sense of 'quick, now' before they revive everything. Barons are pretty fun to berserk punch imo.

But lost souls? Not urgent, not dangerous, but gets in your face.

- keen and ssnazi
if not used for a new monster

- cyber
I don't have the skills - not realy bad, it's just boring...

I always go into panic mode when fighting revenants. Can't even melee bait them right and end up getting rockets in my face.

-Pain Elementals just force me to waste ammo on them and their endless supply of Lost Souls. I find lone Lost Souls not bad.
-Reventant. I find it annoying that their projectiles are stronger than those from the hell nobles and half of them are guided. At least id could've balanced the guided ones by lessening their damage.

Revenants. Especially when Doom mappers decide placing them miles away from human civilization as 'snipers' so I can be subject to having to evade 60 billion homing rockets every so often is a good idea.

Hectic said:

I find lone Lost Souls not bad.

They're another pain in the ass for me, basically because —after 14 years playing DOOM at least one day at week— I have very-very bad aiming.

All of them. They all need to die.

scifista42 said:

Pain Elementals with their lost souls.

SFoZ911 said:

pain elementals

Pirx said:

Lost souls

Hectic said:

-Pain Elementals

Moktar said:

They're another pain in the ass for me

Come on, don't you like Espi maps?

Spoiler

There's a Rocket Launcher!! What can possibly go wrong there??

Definitely the fucking Chaingunners.

Lost Souls, Revenants, Pain Elementals, Barons.

All I got to say here.

Lost souls for me. I seriously want to punch them in their little flamey FUCKING faces each time they shoot towards me like their high on Showbiz sherbert. And their squawk remeinds me of sound a crow makes.

Hateful, HATEFUL creatures, with far too much HP. Seriously, a point blank SG and your STILL floating like a putrid fart!?

FUCK OFF!!!

EDIT: Although they do look cool, they still are annoying as, well, hell!

I gotta say I don't find Revenants to be bothersome in the least, for most situations. Granted SSG makes them very easy to combat..

The point is, all enemies can be annoying depending on the situation where they're used. Enemies like revenants and chaingunners are specially tempting to use in such ways (distant turrets, sneaky ambushes) because thanks to their abilities, they appear to be a very effective threat.

I don't mind either revenants or chaingunners for what they are. They are challenging, and that's good. The rest is on the mapper. I've seen LOTS, LOTS, LOTS of interesting and fun usages of both.

Pain elementals are different in this regard. They're gimmicky by their nature. And mainly - optimal strategy to defeat them is gimmicky as well. You need to prevent them from spawning their minions, which can be done by rushing in their face or hiding from their field of view. Neither feels like a "natural" combat strategy you'd expect from a shooter game.

Additionally, the punishment for your failure is not just simply dying or taking damage. Here, revenants and chaingunners at least "play fair". Pain elementals will punish you by a flood of other gimmicky enemies that endanger you further, can stab you to death slowly, and you need to waste ammo on them. Sometimes it feels that simply reloading the game (like if you've died) would be better than staying alive with the drained health AND ammo. Of course, this applies for every enemy, but in the case of pain elementals, you realize it strongly. At least me.

I haven't even been talking about how lost souls are terribly getting in the face and block rockets you shoot so they'll damage you.

Pain elementals are just very hard to use in a fun combat situation. Their gimmick makes me feel that every encounter of them is annoying. They must die immediately as I see them. If I can't manage it, I'm annoyed even more.